Fair Trade Clothing Brands & Human Rights ... the Ethical Consumer Movement

I have to mention Osvomode, which Susie_bubble introduced in the indie designer thread:

100% organic fairtrade fabrics and dyed with no harmful substances

S/S 2005 and W/S 2006
(pictures from www.osvomode.com)

Attachments

• Osvomode organic SS 2005.jpg
    Osvomode organic SS 2005.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 1
  • Osvomode Organic SS 2005 2.jpg
    Osvomode Organic SS 2005 2.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 1
  • Osvomode organic SS 2006 3.jpg
    Osvomode organic SS 2006 3.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 1
  • Osvomode Organic AW 2005.jpg
    Osvomode Organic AW 2005.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 1
  • Osvomode Organic AW 2005 2.jpg
    Osvomode Organic AW 2005 2.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 0
valerie1115 said:
There is a chain Ten Thousand Villages which is all free trade products. They have some fashions, but lots of jewelry and other crafts (dishware, furniture,etc).

we have one very close to my school (i didntk now it was a chain)

they have some of the most beautiful jewelery. they also tell you where everything comes from, which is nice

also, a lot of stuff mentioned in this thread is organic or environmental, but not neccessarily fair trade

Last edited by a moderator:
*EllaH said:
I have to mention Osvomode, which Susie_bubble introduced in the indie designer thread:

Love it! Especially the little black dress! How cute! :woot: Thanks for posting this EllaH!

I think these pieces are proof that fair trade doesn't have to equal bad hippie or new age style. For that I applaude these designers efforts! :flower:

On the other hand, there's not a single piece here I would buy for myself or a friend. The materials, finishes and surfaces look too dry, wrinkly and cheap somehow. I want sleekness, materials that invite you to touch. Luxuriousness. :ninja:

^ well, I think those sweaters look very soft & touchable ...

I agree, though, when you're already really picky so it's already very hard to find clothes, and then God forbid if you're not a size 2 clothes hanger, trying to find fair trade and organic on top of that is almost an impossible burden.

I try to buy organic whenever possible, especially food, but also linens, t-shirts, PJs. It helps not to buy conventional cotton, since it's so bad for the environment.

This is one of the reasons I try to keep pretty strict limits on what I buy--fewer pieces are creating fewer issues.

^ Maybe I was a bit hasty and harsh in my comments... It's certainly true that finding fair trade/eco-friendly stuff is hard to begin with.

Wouldn't it be great if some big designers started using more "ethical" materials? The price would probably be a bit higher, but they would get so much free goodwill and publicity that advertising money can't buy. Just imagine if Gucci, Prada or Chanel announced that they would start using 100% eco-friendly, fairly traded cotton...

^ Yes, it would be wonderful! :flower: And it's probably the only thing that could make me reconsider Gucci at this point :wink:

Ooh I love Osvomode, but didn't realize it was fair trade or organic! Wow...I'm thoroughly impressed.

Sorry about the too-big pictures I dont know how to resize :( I'll work on that

More from howies.co.uk

w_h002-0035.jpg

Organic denim, 12oz, hand brushed, rinsed using nothing but water and eco balls for softness.

Mens organic cotton tshirts:
me_m_warkid.jpg

Gossypium is organic AND fair trade..
they make simple basics,

leggings, t-shirts, long sleeve shirts, and underwear
i78myo.jpg

i78mxh.jpg

gossypium.co.uk

i78p5h.jpg

Terramar, fair trade and organic tees and hoodies etc.
terramer.co.uk

Loomstate--a brand already mentioned above--makes clothes with organic cotton

l52u0010022a.jpg

scarf

l52w3190014reda.jpg

l51w1031008chna.jpg

l52w1011016calma.jpg

l51w1011007mista.jpg

l52w6080031frea.jpg

I'm not at all into designer jeans but hey...

The paper tag has seeds in it so you can bury it and grow plants :smile: hehe

imgs from aloharag.com

More from loomstate:

loomstate.jpg

ch4.org.uk

anabel753-img600x450-1122105927huku_284.jpg

auctions.yahoo.co.jp

loomstate.jpg

couturecandy.com

yhst-76861125161948_1874_10444333

letsgofootwear.com

thom-brownne.jpg

Thom Browne
Organic cotton denim suit
Felt overcoat​
united-bamboo.jpg

United Bamboo
Recycled polyester silver jacket
PET eco-spun cotton dress with diamond knit organic merino wool sleeves​

alvin-valley.jpg

Alvin Valley
Beige/brown recycled polyester trench coat
Organic cotton denim jeans

as-four.jpg

AsFour
Organic cotton denim dress

proenza-schouler.jpg

Proenza Schouler
Brown organic cotton twill skirt
Brown/aqua sillk/wool stripe shirt

norma-kamali.jpg

Norma Kamali
Gray organic cotton jumpsuit
Felt coat​

daryl-k.jpg

Daryl K
Cream/aqua silk/wool dress
Aqua honeycomb stockings​

richard-chai.jpg

Richard Chai
White Duraprene™ (vinyl substitute) jacket
Blue-gray Ingeo™ recycled polyester skirt​

mary-ping2.jpg

Mary Ping
Cream and beige organic flax/cotton
stripe dress​

halston.jpg

Halston
Beige patterned Ingeo™ (corn fiber) gown

derek-lam.jpg

Derek Lam
Cream hemp/silk skirt
Cream hemp twill trench coat​

elisa-jimenez.jpg

Elisa Jimenez
Sheer Ingeo™ (corn fiber) gown with wings

yeohlee2.jpg

Yeohlee
Red recycled polyester sarong and top

oscar.jpg

Oscar de la Renta
Cream hemp/silk gown with cream Ingeo™ (corn fiber) overlay​

karen-walker.jpg

Karen Walker
Black hemp/silk dress with ruffles

imitation-christ.jpg

Imitation of Christ
Cream organic wool dress

twinkle.jpg

Twinkle
Dress with black hemp/silk skirt and cream organic merino wool top​

habitual.jpg

Habitual
Organic cotton denim jeans
Brown organic cotton shirt

Earth-Pledge-024.jpg

Diane Von Furstenberg
Natural organic wool wrap dress

project-alabama2.jpg

Project Alabama
Black honeycomb bamboo dress

libertine.jpg

Libertine
Brown feather blazer and skirt

heatherette.jpg

Heatherette
Silver recycled polyester bustier
Pink/yellow Ingeo™ taffeta skirt

jeffrey-chow.jpg

Jeffrey Chow
Red organic cotton herringbone bolero with
recycled Coke cans sequin border
Cream/beige organic cotton/flax stripe tank
Brown organic cotton twill shorts​

sb2.jpg

Stephen Burrows
Orange Ingeo™ (corn fiber) dress and sheer trenchcoat

rebecca-taylor.jpg

Rebecca taylor

Article from Treehugger.com:
Greetings from Verdopolis: FutureFashion Reviewed

February 9, 2005 10:09 AM -

r%20taylor.jpg
Greetings from Verdopolis! The expo kicked off last night with FutureFashion, an eco-fashion show, with garments made from recycled poly, bamboo textiles, hemp silk, and Ingeo—and the list goes on and on. And just who stitched these natural and eviro-friendly fabrics together? None other than Derek Lam, Daryl K, Tara Subkoff, Poroenza Shouler,Yeolee Teng, Zac Posen, and Oscar de la Renta, to name a few.
There was buzz amongst purists amounting to why the big names—few of whom are pursuing anything related to eco-design at their tents down the street at Bryant park—were asked to contribute, while designers who exclusively design eco-friendly wardrobes were stuck watching from the sidelines, ...
All images courtesy of Remy C.
but it’s probably safe to assume to that the bigger houses here were meant to draw attention. Truth be told, the big names may have participated, but the better parties must have been under Fashion Week’s bigger tents, because there wasn’t much of an A-list in the house, the Steelcase premises at 4 Columbus Circle.
Still, it was a fabulous time, though we’re completely befuddled by one item in the program’s “Fabric Descriptions,” which lists fur as an eco-amenity. Yes, brushtail, according to Verdopolis, is the only green fur, “collected from a species that was artificially introduced in New Zealand to create a fur trade in the 1800’s.” Because they destroy natural vegetation and the local ecosystem, the explanation goes on, “a number of environmental organizations support the use of brushtail.” (We’ve never heard of such a thing of either, but we guess if some enviros are making a case for nuclear power, then some could make the case for using fur from minks and bunnies who, at their rate of reproduction, could be considered a renewable resource, right? Just playing devil’s advocate here.) Anyway, on to the catwalk, which featured leggy young things in surprisingly conservative, yet often beautiful, creations. The prevalent use of beige and cream and pouffy shapes led one to believe that these designers were using the term organic quite literally—everything was soft and shapely and swooshing, with very little sass involved, with the exception of a number by Heatherette, which employed a recycled polyester bustier with sweetheart neckline, attached to a pink-and-yellow circus-like Ingeo Taffeta skirt. Many of the fashions, such as Proenza Shouler’s organic cotton twill skirt and shirt were very wearable, though several of the garments looked unfinished, with rough-cut edges and no hems. It was hard to tell whether these were left this way for lack of care, or whether the whole eco thing spelled hippie for designers used to another realm. Bohemian chic ruled part of the day, as if all enviros are more hippie than hip and afraid of color at that. That was surprising, though perhaps it shouldn’t have been.
Real highlights included Rebecca Taylor’s pink honeycomb bamboo dress (at top) with organic cotton, hemp-silk and cellulose ruffles—an elegant affair with perfectly swooshing lines that was both refined and girlie in a soft pink; it certainly stood out from the crowd. The final piece to be shown was Oscar de la Renta’s dreamy cream hemp-silk gown with an Ingeo overlay, a sprightly piece that, though featuring the aforementioned unfinished hems, still worked well.
Overall, the effort put in was an interesting attempt at bringing new fabrics and fibers to a crowd who knows their stuff. The good news is that they were all able to artfully create clothing that was runway—and store shelf—worthy, but the ultimate test will lie in how these textiles were received in the hands of the masters in terms of usability and hand, if they were easy to work with, and if buyers will approve. ::Verdopolis [by MO]

Statement from Verdopolis website
FutureFashion
The Evolution of Style
Held during New York Fashion Week, 28 top designers dazzled New York with cutting edge eco-friendly fashions on the runway. Renewable, reusable, non-polluting fabrics such as organic cotton and wool, bamboo, corn-based fibers, recycled fibers and biopolymers were transformed into everything from elegant couture to street wear. View a slide show of Future Fashion show and the press that it has generated.
Why FutureFashion?
25% of agricultural pesticides are used on cotton, causing major water pollution, chronic illness in farm workers, and devastating impacts on wildlife. In the United States, cancer rates in states that produce cotton are significantly higher than in neighboring states that do not. The acidic chemicals used to process synthetic fabrics find their way into our rivers and streams, lowering the pH and destroying ecosystems. Materials such as bamboo and hemp are faster growing, more durable, and more renewable than conventional textiles.
Sustainable fashion is within reach and need not limit the range and quality of products that designers can offer, from couture to sportswear to home furnishings. By promoting eco-friendly products such as organic cotton, organic wool, corn fibers, recycled fabrics, biopolymers, natural dyes to industry and consumers, we can prove that style and sustainability can coexist – creating market demand and improving our environment and health.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
imi
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->