Fashion Career Building Activities if you are Still in High School

diorable

Reaction score
Hi! I know I've seen other high-school aged fashion mavericks on this forum like myself, and I know that because of our age we obviously cannot work as fashion assistants or even interns most of the time.
However, I was wondering if any one had any other ideas on how to develop our interests in the fashion industry?

I am currently one of five paid Contributing Editors (and the only high schooler) for doesthislookstupid.com, a fashion writer and blogger for the indie print and online magazine, a former features intern for a well-known women's fashion magazine, a CG! Stringer for CosmoGIRL! Magazine, and a staff member for my school's award-winning yearbook where I am working on the "Girls' Trends" page. This past summer, I also interned with a local prominent fashion designer and I also write my own fashion blog for fun. I'm also president/founder of my school's fashion club...

Because I'm young, I think it's a really good idea to try out a lot of things before I get older. I was told by an editor that I used to work with that I might have a chance at attaining a summer internship with Teen Vogue or Ellegirl.com or Nylon or another teenage fashion magazine if I work really hard, since occasionally they do hire high school interns. I have no idea how to approach this though, because I do not have any solid connections to any of these magazines but I hope that perhaps it will work out because I want to work in a fashion magazine more than anything.

What do you think are other good ways to explore fashion when you are still young? I'm sure my peers will appreciate the brainstorming and advice too :heart:! Thank you so much!

This is the best thread idea I've seen in quite the while!

I'm in last year at school and I've been wondering exactly the same thing. Recently, I decided I'd start putting my money where my mouth is and started a blog[which you can find in my sig.] It helps me to contact other like-minded people around the globe and also voice my opinions/views/musings on menswear and all related matters.

I was thinking of interning this Summer, somewhere in Europe, but I'm not sure yet. How did you happen on that paid position at doesthislookstupid.com diorable?

Good luck in all your future endeavours!

Good thread, wish there was something like this when I was in school!

diorable I've seen some of your other posts and I think also on Ed2010 and the blog The Fashion Social (sorry I'm sounding like a total stalker now which I promise I'm not, I've just noticed because you posted your blog there as well) and in my opinion you're already doing heaps so I wouldn't worry too much, a lot more than I did when I was your age (not too long ago, I'm at uni)!

Intern intern intern as Dustcakeboy said, though admittedly I've found it easier to intern being a university student than when I was in high school. You probably know this already, but it shows that you're willing to go out there and work. Lots of people want to go and work in fashion - "a million girls would kill for this", but that's all they're going to do - talk about it and sit on their **** and do nothing about it, but it's the people who actually (like Dustcakeboy again said, put your money where your mouth is) and actually do it and put yourself out there and work for free or even in a part time retail job.

And honestly you don't always need connections ok it really does help, but it doesn't make it impossible. Just pop them an email and give it a go. I really think your experience sounds great and they'll be willing to hear you out. A lot of people seem to think getting a great internship in school/uni (or a job later on, actually anything that's considered a great opportunity) is down to being lucky but there's a lot of preparation involved in getting yourself ready for the break. The opportunity will only arise if you're ready for it.

Anyway sorry this was a bit rambly, it's all in my head and I'm trying to make it coherent, so hopefully I achieved that somewhat (yes? no? maybe?), but yes, best of luck for the future!

Oh and regarding Teen Vogue, I emailed them and asked them if I could intern Dec-Jan (as that's my longest break, I'm in the southern hemisphere) and they said they don't take anyone then but only for Fall and Spring semesters but also Summer break.

I'd love to intern (or work for money! :P I wonder if there's such a thing as being all intern-ed out? :P ) in Paris one day, but it seems pretty difficult!

Hello Dustcakeboy, you are such an inspiration! I wish I could personally know more guys who are very interested in fashion :]. Interning in Europe sounds exciting; I hope you get a position! I was thinking about interning in Europe in order to work on my language skills, see the world, and get some international work experience but I figure that there are SO many publications and opportunities in the United States right now, I should try to intern here for now. I do hope to study abroad in university though; hopefully I will be able to do some work there and learn more about the European fashion industry!
I found the paid position on doesthislookstupid.com when I was scoping out the Teen Vogue forums...it was definitely luck! It's very interesting though, to be working along with real fashion interns and journalists!
I hope you will share with me your future intern experiences someday :]! I'm very interested to hear about it.

Cicciolina, you always give such great advice! Definitely, I am not expecting to be paid for anything especially because I still have two more years in high school (only 16!) and all I want is some good work-experience to give me an edge amongst my same-aged peers! Although I have a paid position with doesthislookstupid.com, I do it much more for the experience of being part of a new fashion website and to be able to write about fashion more! The money I make from it goes straight to my savings account anyways; I'm hoping to make enough from this and other jobs that may come across my path to be able to pay for my first month's apartment when I leave college and get a job :].
I will email Teen Vogue sometime soon too :]. Thank you so much...I definitely think you are so amazing and dedicated! Are you currently working anywhere?

Good thread!

I'm a high-schooler myself, I live in London so I'm around a lot of opportunities. But I can't intern just yet. :lol: It's funny because Vogue Offices are very near, where my school is. *sigh* my dream.

There's not a lot for someone of my age to do, to be honest.

Kushie, you're so lucky that you live in London and so close to Vogue! Is it possible for you to maybe contact a few smaller fashion publications in London and ask if you can intern in any way? I'm not sure, but I know a girl who emailed a fashion magazine in New York City and I asked if she could just shadow the assistants for a week during her spring break, and it worked out! Maybe you could even do that? I also know a girl who was a Rolling Stone magazine intern when she was in high school in Asia, but she already had some publishing experience.

^ Yeah, I guess I am lucky. :smile:

Well, I'm too young to be interning at the moment. But I feel like I NEED to be doing something, at the moment. :cry: I want a headstart- you know?
I'm thinking about joining or starting out a fashion blog but I don't know where to start?

Great thread!

I, too, am a high school student eager to get more practise in the fashion magazine business...

Kushie: It's funny we spoke about WhiteLinen, because the two of us are working on launching a fashion website. It's meant to be sort of a mix between a magazine and a blog: more serious and in-depth articles, interviews and creativity, while keeping the connection to the readers (through commenting and contributions)..
We are looking for permanent writing contributors, if you're interested (or anyone else reading this for that matter!) then PM me!
Our aim is to launch the website, which will be called Fanatique, around new years.

What a wonderful website concept StellaMare...I've PM'ed you too :].
It's great to see so many of us "young ones' on this forum!

Wanting to intern at Vogue when still in high school may be a bit "out of reach", but it's great to try magazines that appeal to the student and young adult teenage genre. Personally, it's a bit hard trying to find interns in the fashion area, mainly because so many people are interested, therefore, the most experienced and passionate get the spots. I would say, start out small, work in places were you know you have a shot and work your way up. Also, try to get experiences in more than one area. If you had an internship in fashion journalism, try gearing to one towards the design concept of fashion. That way, as you try to gain the more "harder" internships, you have a lot under your belt in terms of experience.
Good Luck!

I've done a couple of internship in a range of places (but make sense in the scheme of things :P takes some explanation though) and have some planned in the near future. Though at this point I wouldn't be turning down getting paid though, but I work as a sales assistant at Ralph Lauren on top of uni :D

For the high schoolers, it still may be worth a shot pursuing internships, or asking smaller companies if you could help them out a couple of half days after school or something like that. Just the fact that you're willing to get out there and work for free for a small company counts for something and will help you later on.

Gah in the end though finding a paying job in the areas I'm interested in is probably going to be a lot harder than finding the equivalent internships :(

Cicciolina, I hope you earn your dream fashion job :].

I emailed Teen Vogue, and they told me that they definitely want me to reapply when I'm a college freshman because their company policies on interns are strict, but they would also like to meet me and allow me to meet some of the editors and take a tour of the Teen Vogue magazine offices next spring when I am in New York. They also asked me for photos to have on file because they're interested in keeping me in mind in future magazine stories.

So Teen Vogue was successful in the way that I got my name out and an invitation for a tour and meeting even though I didn't get an internship :]; I've emailed other magazines in hopes that their company policies will allow me to intern.

Congratulations diorable that's really really great! I love Teen Vogue :D

im slightly older .. 18 .. but im still at college studying fashion .. i started again .. so only in my first year .. i too have this problem .. so thort id join this thread :flower:.. good thread idea hun xx

Well...I'm in a high school with art-emphasis, so there's a lot of courses that could help me out in future. I'm taking textile courses, photography courses,multimedia, film making & compulsory art courses and drawing&painting to shape up my illustration skills.

I also have a blog...
and I'm hoping to contribute with fanatique...

Well...I'm in a high school with art-emphasis, so there's a lot of courses that could help me out in future. I'm taking textile courses, photography courses,multimedia, film making & compulsory art courses and drawing&painting to shape up my illustration skills.

I also have a blog...
and I'm hoping to contribute with fanatique...
RE: Fanatique-that makes two of us! I'd better get down to writing a submission or two...

I just sent interview request to designer Antti Asplund :D
I hope it works out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulpaul
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->