Fashion Career Building Activities if you are Still in High School

I got an internship with Seventeen magazine in the fashion department for next summer :wink:! It's going to be great -- the magazine is a really nice and comfortable environment and I was told by the editor that this is a great place for a high schooler like me to get experience in a well-known magazine while still working amongst supportive assistants and editors!

Congratulations! I hope you enjoy it. I'm hoping to be back next year for the winter/spring internship season.

well i'm even younger than most of you, i'm 14! i've emailed nearly every magazine i know but all of them said you had to be 18. i even tried magazines aimed at my age and my local newspaper but even they wouldn't take me on. i know i'm young and that's why they wont let me come. if they looked past my age, they'd see that i'd be just as good (well i hope) as a 16/17 year old. i am quite mature for my age, i am very determined and enthusiastic. I used to run my own magazine and give it to my friends. I now have a fashion blog. i know a lot more about fashion than most girls my age who just say they do. next year i get to do two weeks work experience with my school. i want to do something fashion-related, but nobody will take me on because i'm young! what am i supposed to do?

"I'm to young to intern, what can I do now?!"

Alright Let me first state that yes there are other threads explaining peoples past experiences and etc. so if you could perhaps link those threads to this one that one be great.

Now, I'm Marc I'm only 17 and already I've single handledly landed two internships for two great amazing companies. To contradict my title I would have to say you are NEVER to young to intern. No matter if your 12-16, if you have enough motivation, creativity, ambition and over all a hard working attitude you can do anything you little fashion lovin' heart desires. I'm going to help out ALL of you little fashion lovers regardless of your age in this thread by listing some GREAT chances at doing something in the industry before your actually in it!

1. Many of you live near large cities, this is going to be a great utlity and use it to your advantage. Where there is a large city there is usually a college and lets just hope it offers some sort of design art program. Almost every design college will offer classes to high school students as some sort of "pre-college introduction". I have had first hand experiences with this as I live and hour from NYC. I have taken not one, not two, but SIX high school classes. Yes, thats right six of them. They have ranged from manual pattern-making to fashion art for fashion designer and I can not tell you the amount I have learned. These classes have taught me everything I know and I owe it all to one of the greatest fashion schools (and my campus come next fall!) the Fashion Institute of Technology. These classes weren't as cheap as they come but the skills and knowledge you pick up from them is priceless. Its not just FIT that offers these classes, its Parson's, FIDM, SCAD and the list goes on and on and on and on. If theres a universtity near you go find it and see what they are offering because alot of the times its gonna be great!

2. Internships, oh the dread excuse of being too young. Let me tell you a little story. Me and my friend Jen who is only 15 snuck into New York Fashion Week together. Again yes thats right I HAVE AMBITION! When I had went to go find Erin Fetherston for a picture Jen had started talking to someone who was actually a design assistant at Charlotte Ronson. Jen LOVES CR and wears them everyday she gets (she was evening wearing a CR dress the day she met the design assitant!)! Now lets fast foward to last monday, It was Jen's first day as an intern at CR, and you know why? Because Jen showed that she could take on tasks that would be hard, she was nice, creative, an open spirit! Moral of the intern story..... theres going to be a lot of people that say listen honey, you're just to young, but if every person who has ever been told that stopped at that moment, well then who knows where this industry would be.

3. Have ambition! If this is the only thing I could say it would be. FOLLOW YOUR HEART AND DREAMS, as lame as it sounds it'll get you what you want if its the right time.

Lastly, Dont give up. Its really just not worth it. No one likes a quitter!

My little sucess story, after taking those college classes I got into FIT as well as landed two internships, one at Christian V Siriano and Twinkle by Wenlan, I am my case in point!

Last edited by a moderator:
Diorable your so inspirational.

I am quite young and would love to get a head start but I don't know where to start. I was thinking of contacting a magazine but all the offices are in Sydney and I'm in Melbourne.

Marni, some Sydney magazines have satellite offices in Melbourne. Or at least, they have advertising departments in Melbourne (as well as other states). Grab a magazine that you're interested in, and give them a try. Advertising isn't as 'fashiony' (ie no shoots) as working in editorial, but you still can make great contacts and know the ins and outs of how magazines work, plus I found the advertising side quite interesting :smile:

Also, there are smaller magazines based in Melbourne I believe, I can't think of any right now but you could even try some street presses or local newspapers.

I hope this helps!

well i'm even younger than most of you, i'm 14! i've emailed nearly every magazine i know but all of them said you had to be 18. i even tried magazines aimed at my age and my local newspaper but even they wouldn't take me on. i know i'm young and that's why they wont let me come. if they looked past my age, they'd see that i'd be just as good (well i hope) as a 16/17 year old. i am quite mature for my age, i am very determined and enthusiastic. I used to run my own magazine and give it to my friends. I now have a fashion blog. i know a lot more about fashion than most girls my age who just say they do. next year i get to do two weeks work experience with my school. i want to do something fashion-related, but nobody will take me on because i'm young! what am i supposed to do?

i'm 14 too and I want to be a designer more than work in mags. And i feel the same. At the end of this year I'm doing 4 weeks work exprience at a modeling agency. Also last month I had my first fashion show and i pretty much made everything. At our age apparently we're suppose to be just staying at school not worry about fashion but i feel so differently. I try and get really good contacts, not long ago I met up with the Melbourne Fashion Week Director and she said she could help me with work experience. I think starting early is the best thing you can do

I have a blog too.

Diorable your so inspirational.

I am quite young and would love to get a head start but I don't know where to start. I was thinking of contacting a magazine but all the offices are in Sydney and I'm in Melbourne.

i'm from melb too. My friend's cousin finished high school, moved to sydney and started an intership at Girlfriend and now she's at shop til you drop.

But i think you should do some interning in Melbourne first because they wont accept people who haven't had experience.

I love this thread! I'm going to be a highschool junior this coming year. I live close to NYC, meaning that I can probably pursue some of my internship goals, if you will, there. However, I kind of want to see if there's anything local right now. Has anyone here ever worked at an agency?

Sorry, I didn't realize how ambiguous I was being. Silly me. Yeah, a modeling (or talent) agency.

Alright Let me first state that yes there are other threads explaining peoples past experiences and etc. so if you could perhaps link those threads to this one that one be great.

Now, I'm Marc I'm only 17 and already I've single handledly landed two internships for two great amazing companies. To contradict my title I would have to say you are NEVER to young to intern. No matter if your 12-16, if you have enough motivation, creativity, ambition and over all a hard working attitude you can do anything you little fashion lovin' heart desires. I'm going to help out ALL of you little fashion lovers regardless of your age in this thread by listing some GREAT chances at doing something in the industry before your actually in it!

1. Many of you live near large cities, this is going to be a great utlity and use it to your advantage. Where there is a large city there is usually a college and lets just hope it offers some sort of design art program. Almost every design college will offer classes to high school students as some sort of "pre-college introduction". I have had first hand experiences with this as I live and hour from NYC. I have taken not one, not two, but SIX high school classes. Yes, thats right six of them. They have ranged from manual pattern-making to fashion art for fashion designer and I can not tell you the amount I have learned. These classes have taught me everything I know and I owe it all to one of the greatest fashion schools (and my campus come next fall!) the Fashion Institute of Technology. These classes weren't as cheap as they come but the skills and knowledge you pick up from them is priceless. Its not just FIT that offers these classes, its Parson's, FIDM, SCAD and the list goes on and on and on and on. If theres a universtity near you go find it and see what they are offering because alot of the times its gonna be great!

2. Internships, oh the dread excuse of being too young. Let me tell you a little story. Me and my friend Jen who is only 15 snuck into New York Fashion Week together. Again yes thats right I HAVE AMBITION! When I had went to go find Erin Fetherston for a picture Jen had started talking to someone who was actually a design assistant at Charlotte Ronson. Jen LOVES CR and wears them everyday she gets (she was evening wearing a CR dress the day she met the design assitant!)! Now lets fast foward to last monday, It was Jen's first day as an intern at CR, and you know why? Because Jen showed that she could take on tasks that would be hard, she was nice, creative, an open spirit! Moral of the intern story..... theres going to be a lot of people that say listen honey, you're just to young, but if every person who has ever been told that stopped at that moment, well then who knows where this industry would be.

3. Have ambition! If this is the only thing I could say it would be. FOLLOW YOUR HEART AND DREAMS, as lame as it sounds it'll get you what you want if its the right time.

Lastly, Dont give up. Its really just not worth it. No one likes a quitter!

My little sucess story, after taking those college classes I got into FIT as well as landed two internships, one at Christian V Siriano and Twinkle by Wenlan, I am my case in point!

I merged the other thread with this ongoing one, MarcSebastian.

Thank you for sharing all of this! Good information for anyone looking to jump start their fashion career with an internship .... while still in high school. :flower:

Last edited by a moderator:
OK well I emailed them, and yeah got replies and ha, that where it started

i said i wanted to work there for experience, i wont need pay, i'm smart, blahh blahh blahhh.

this is a great thread.
i'm young as well, and 15.
i'm going to be a sophomore next school year and i've been interested in working in the fashion industry later on in my life.
however, i'm not looking to design or be a model, i'm more interested in the marketing aspect and behind the scenes aspect of the fashion industry.

and diorable, you are truly an inspiration! that's amazing.

i'm hoping to go back to indonesia sometime soon during the summer and hopefully land an internship there with a local designer from there since my mom has connections making it easier for me.

Marc- i have always wanted to sneak into fashion week. i'm wondering, how did you do it?! hahaha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carluaz
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->