Fashion Career Building Activities if you are Still in High School

all posts in this thread are really inspiring..read them all. deserve to be bumped :smile:

I'm 17, almost 18. I'm in my last year of high school but I am staying an extra year to take other courses. mostly fashion and photography.

I've always had a thing for fashion when I was little, making paper dolls, and making clothes for the paper dolls, but I was also doing something artistic like drawing and doodling. I didn't really notice my liking for fashion until now.

I love Art, and I'm a pretty good artist. but I was thinking more about Fashion or Photography as a career I'd get into, because I think it will be fun, also meeting a lot of people, at the same time I'm also going to experience new things. but I heard that it's a really hard industry getting into.

I'm hoping to get a summer intern or just an intern soon, relating it on Fashion or Photography:smile:

I suck at writing. so I'm all hands on D:

Looking for advice on what to do to start my own brand eventually

So I've been into fashion design for a pretty long time now, both my parents also used to be in the industry and had their own ladies businesswear brand, I'm trying to do as much as possible independently from them though, so far I've only been doing fashion sketching really but I'm trying to get more experienced in other fields that are needed for my end-goal which is to start my own high fashion brand, I'm 16 right now and will likely be left with a very large amount of money soon, I'm thinking of using that to fund my study at university, move to a bigger city, (best option right now is London) and eventually start something up with it but obviously I'm not very experienced at all so I'm looking for any advice / tips that you lovely people might have for me right now!

Of special interest, see this thread about people's opinions about whether or not you need college to become a designer. A Career as a Fashion Designer. Is a Degree from a Fashion School Necessary? Before you can start you own line ... it's extremely important to gain experience at various levels with other designers. And to do that ... you probably will need a degree in fashion. Plus, college will get you into internships that will prove essential for making connections beyond your parents' business.

If you move to London ... you have a fabulous school ... LCF (London College of Fashion). http://www.arts.ac.uk/fashion/courses/ Start here to explore their curriculum and to learn what you need to do to apply, when the time comes.

In the meantime ... work on your portfolio .... drawing your designs, determining what fabrics and notions you will need, showing various treatments and variations on your themes. Fashion School will most likely want to see your stuff when you apply. Take any related classes you can find (sewing, drawing, fashion illustration, etc.)... at school or even on line ... to start honing you drawing skills.

If you wish to do "high fashion" ... that means "couture" ... so spend a lot of time in our Designers and Collections threads (search for keyword Couture ... to bring up those designers who actually have couture collections) ... to develop your "eye" for high fashion. Be sure to look at this thread for videos about couture details for inspiration and ideas about what "high fashion" is actually all about. The Craftmanship of Haute Couture ... The details and how they do it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks so much BetteT!! This is very helpful!! Just wondering though why specifically LCF over other schools such as Central Saint Martins?

They are both good ... just that LCF came to mind first. I don't have hard facts about either school, I just know they are both reputable. That would be something for you to research.

I was looking for a tailoring apprenticeship or somewhere that teaches at least the basics of it. I couldn't find anything though. I live in Ohio, United States and am a fashion design student.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulpaul
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->