Fashion Illustration/Sketching/Drawing : Tools, Croquis, Templates & Books

Reaction score
i was watchin the apprentice last week, and the designer on the show used a book that had a template or outline of a model figure where she could use that to draw on top of. does anybody know where i can get this template? thanks.

Yep... You might be able to find one online...

I took a fashion drawing class... There's a certain formula to it all.. like the body should be the lenght of 8 heads.... Something like that.

I might have a few lying around that I can scan in.

thanks for all the responses, i was afraid this post was gonna disappear, lol. gonna check the lib.

Drawing the perfect fashion sketch....

does anybody have any tips on "drawing the perfect fashion sketch" because i would like a go, but im not sure what to use, if i should draw the body or the clothes first etc... help?:flower:

i suppose its a matter of opinion you shouldnt really have to ask how to do it, you should experiment for yourself and se what techniques suit you. i do recommend mixed media:flower:

Last edited by a moderator:
well typically a fashion sketch needs to feature an enlongated figure. the average person is 8 heads long where the fashion figure is 10. that's the first step. after that it's all about preference slash personal "style" more ways of working and such.

just start. don't worry about perfect. you'll get where you need to be.

best thing to do is take some preparatory (?) art class lessons which will help you draw quick and from live model..
those basic oldfashioned 'how to draw a figure' 'popular education' books are also a very good idea..
searching the web could also bear fruits

most of all one needs hours of practice to 'free' one's style
:lucky:

Last edited by a moderator:
^ hm. i would just sketch by hand and scan them in and embellish on photoshop/ illustrator.

travolta said:
^ hm. i would just sketch by hand and scan them in and embellish on photoshop/ illustrator.

thats how i work myself travolta, but like cypress asked..
it would be interesting to know if there is any good fashion sketch program out there

maybe clay will know :unsure:

I have an aquaintance who teaches the Fashion Illustration course at FIDM in Los Angeles. I'm not sure if you can take this course independent of other studies or if you have to be enrolled as a full time student. Here's the link;

http://fidm.com/

on sketching using computers: You'd be well off with a pressure-sensitive graphics tablet and software like (adobe) photoshop or freehand or maybe Paint Pro. Non-pressure-sensitive ones are just pen-mouses (mice?!), pressure-sensitive ones mimic thin/thick lines i.e. when you press down hard with a pencil and such. Can be a bit pricey though, at least for me it is. :wink:

Whoops, I meant "Painter" not "Paint"
(Don't kill me for being dumb! I just can't seem to find the edit button on this thing. I found it before though... 0_o)

fashion sketch tips

I always think it is best to draw the head and then make an elongated
line of energy( think the angles of the torso) If you break up the torso into head lenths...make the upper body two head lengths and then the sprout from the triangle of the pelvis into legs that are exaggerated )approx 4-6 heads long. Think Nadia Auerman long. I notice that if I look at an image or a model and draw the lines as I see them not as I think they should be they appear more "correct" Mostly from practicing over and over they eventually get better. But stay loose and even if they aren't perfect then they at least have a style to them. Laird Borrelli has some great fashion illustration books too. Oh also...I love buying the paintbrush style markers in pale flesh colors and then washing in a shape of the person first...before drawing details. Good luck!

help with fashion illustration.

Hi!

I have an interview soon for a one year course in fashion design and knitted textiles.

You only have to show an interest in fashion, they teach you the skills.

I'm freaking out and having trouble with drawing. I'm not very good!

So any hints and tips would be great.

Even if anyone had a sorta template female body, that I could print of and trace, and go from there.

I really need your help! Thanks so much:flower:

Venús As A Boy said:
Hi!

Even if anyone had a sorta template female body, that I could print of and trace, and go from there.

Please nobody do this! :P

Seriously, anyone can draw...you just have to improvise..

...how about line drawing? literally, draw a pencil man/woman .. and what about cutting out things you like in magazines and collaging it on top .. dont cut a whole skirt out though, like a gucci one in an advert, cut shapes and colours and make your own shaped skirt or dress.. its easy..if you find it hard, unmotivated, cant think of any other ideas or you cant be bothered starting from scratch and want a template then look for another career ^_^

get a 11.14 inch sketchbook for your illustrations if you haven't already.

the figure of the person should be about nine inches. i was taught to copy a certain figure shape which was divided into eight quadrants. um, you just need to draw the way the designs fit on the body. hard to explain for me.

but if it's really just a design course, they won't expect you to be a pro at illustrating. sketching designs and sketching fashion illustrations are very different.

I would also run a search on the boards: there have been threads like this before.

venus as a boy, you should take figure drawing lessons ASAP! it is a the best way to learn how to draw fashion figures, because you have to actually look at the clothes on the body in 3-D... it is the best way to start training your eye... also, keep a sketch book and just sketch people when you sit at a coffee shop or in other public places..

if you get in the habit of looking and sketching it will come to you and you'll figure out a style!

btw. the collaging is a good idea. as long as you can convey the concept, and the describe the fashion figure etc... that's all that matters.

goodluck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peytontung
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->