Fashion Industry in Canada - networking events, etc.

i went to ottawa fashion week this week (http://ottawafashionweek.ca/) and it was a disaster. i was under press, and because it was so small, i had front row seating all three days. this was NOT a good idea (for anyone) as several designer sent garments down the runway that were UNFINISHED and literally held together with needles! this was obviously visible to anyone sitting up close, and how directors allowed that to be shown is beyond me. it really made the entire event look unprofessional.

anywho, nothing to see in ottawa...there was one standout designer, and a few nice pieces among the others, but nothing really groundbreaking.

my bf's family is canadian, and always give me a hard time about not making room for toronto fashion week....i really want to tell them what a joke it is.

i'm really surprised to hear that ottaw fashion week was such a disaster!! i'm from BC and having witnessed the catastrophe that is vancouver fashion week, i was under the impression that fashion in the east, especially the fashion weeks, were a lot better and more substantial, but i guess i was wrong! which is really too bad. i'm also interested to hear who the standout was? what about toronto fashion week, is it up to par?

on another note, i haven't been to any BC fashion weeks yet but it seems like vladimir is doing a good job? any thoughts?

thanks for letting me in on the joke finalfashion. It's something we WOULD do so being a saskatchewanian, I thoroughly believe it's in the realm of something we would attempt :rofl: Oh, Saskatchewan. Who's vladimir? The only BC designer I know is....oh I can't remember the company name, but they produce quality basics for a decent price and apparently some celebs like the line...?

ETA: I was rereading posts through this thread and I think I disagree with you Bette. I mean, there are pockets of liberalism and conservativeness in Canada, but I would certainly say as a whole, we're more liberal than the US and they obviously have two thriving fashion weeks (I think LA fashion week is thriving in a different way, much more commercial obviously than nyc and for a different market, but still, it's a proper fashion week). And if you look at places like Belgium, they are tiny and yet still have a massive creative fashion industry. So I don't think our lack of population or even creativity are a problem. In the case of Belgium however, they have one of the greatest fashion/design schools in the world, so they draw people there and to their graduate fashion week which in terms of execution I'm sure some would argue is on par with many international fashion weeks. At least on par with London. So is it our schooling then? I think Canadians love supporting each other and seeing one of their own succeed. Is it distribution or is there no framework of money/support? or are we just too spread out? But even that can't really be argued since Russia has a decent fashion week and several fashion brands that sell well there and overseas.....maybe the majority of Canadians just don't like high fashion?! :lol: hmm....

Last edited by a moderator:
Meg which Belgium school are you referring to?

As for why Canada is not really into fashion...well my take on it is that it is a whole ton of things accumulating and is much the same as the rest of our arts industries (film for example). For one, with the US buying power so close to us and our previously low dollar we are the same-continent option for cheap labour. Canada has a HUGE apparel industry but it is mostly in the PRODUCTION, not the design of apparel. Infact apparel is or was at one point within the top 3 industry employers in most cities in Canada (it was in Toronto, it still is in Winnipeg for instance). So as in any industry, the colleges cater their program to the industry that is taking the graduates which means we have much less focus on simple creative output and much more focus on business, marketing, and technical aspects.

Also we have a small population that is REALLY spread out, I believe we are the least densely populated "modern" country in the world (and if not, then we are certainly 2nd only to Russia). Our school tuition is relatively low compared to some countries and that, combined with the fact that they are lowly funded by the government leaves our educators able to only address what is needed. We are a very to-the-point culture with less time spent on frivilous things when it comes to education. It's not that we don't want it, it's that the money isn't there. And why isn't the money there? Well you try keeping such a huge country's infrastructure going with so little money due to a smaller population. Think about how many roads have to be maintained that stretch for hundreds of kilometres in order to reach only a few dozen tax-paying citizens.

Another point is that Canada is FILLED with natural resources which means that a lot of people are going to be employed as loggers, in the oil industry, etc, and then we need people to work in their offices and the offices of the companies that serve them, etc. There is less encouragement from our families to seek out artistic jobs when there are so many "safe" jobs available. Many families have come to Canada from other countries and they want their kids to be taken care of and not to struggle like they did.

And finally, it is harder for someone who is artistic to make a living here. Canadians tend to purchase what they need more than what they simply want (unless it's electronics). And those of us that do purchase things tend to put less value on Canadian made items and we are not the only ones...Canadian artists, for example musicians or clothing designers, do not get as much attention as our American neighbors or our friends across the pond. I have several friends who are artists and live (rather poorly) off their art and you know who they sell to? Rich English families who have moved here within the last 5 or so years...they very rarely sell to Canadians and I can garauntee that if they lived in another country their pieces would be fetching at least twice what they are now simply because then it would be a "russian artist" or a "brazillian artist" not a plain "friendly Canadian artist".

As a most basic example: if our dollar continues to be strong and American and Canadian companies stop having stuff produced in Canada you may very well see a decline in the number of people involved in the apparel industry but an incline in the creativity coming out of it. Or maybe not because the demand still needs to be there for those more creative pieces.

What it boils down to is that the market is not there for Canadians to be producing creative pieces. Rather, the market is there for us to produce quality craftsmanship and so that is what we do. Supply and demand. It may change, it may not.

I hope that could open some people's minds...

Terrific posts, Meg and rockitgirl.

You've both made spot on points. Canada is no leader when it comes to investing in the arts; well, so what? There are those who try to change the nation's attitude, but it is an uphill battle. Its not enough for the designers to be properly educated - how can you sell to consumers who don't see enough fashion to develop a taste for it? How many generations of effort would it take to change the inherent culture of a place?

And is it really necessary? In this day and age, the internet offers us all the chance to display our work and sell it worldwide more easily than ever before. Internationally, the playing field is level, and those creators with merit will find their stars rising regardless of where they pay rent.

Of course, I also just love Canada for all it is, backwards fashion sense, that frugal immigrant practicality, the possibilities of all that land, the chance to go where no one will see your outfit. Its not something that most fashion people seem to care for, but I love it, and since I don't think it is changing any time soon, it is a good time to accept Canada for what it is... when I want to be at a big fashion week, I just go to New York.
B)

Of course, I also just love Canada for all it is, backwards fashion sense, that frugal immigrant practicality, the possibilities of all that land, the chance to go where no one will see your outfit. Its not something that most fashion people seem to care for, but I love it, and since I don't think it is changing any time soon, it is a good time to accept Canada for what it is... when I want to be at a big fashion week, I just go to New York.
B)

Yep, infact I prefer it this way, I'm glad I can afford to buy clothes here :wink:

One thing I did not mention though is that it also has to do with environment. Vancouverites are AWEFUL for fashion (no offence to anyone who lives here). Some of us buy the name brands, sure, but people just dress like the mannequin in the store, they do not put their own personality into it and THAT drives me insane. If you go into the prairies (Edmonton, Regina, Winnipeg) and you look at the urban-dress or alternative generations (ie not the suit and ties) there is SO much personality in the way they dress. I think it is because here is Vancouver people tend to identify themselves by the activities they are involved in as there is SO much to do (I rock climb, I mountain bike, I surf, I.....) but back there with different types of nature and harsher winters people tend to express themselves more through their artistic side. That is why almost all the best Canadian musicians are from the prairies (The Guess Who, Propagandi, Venetian Snares, Bif Naked, and Chantelle Kraviazuk for example are from Winnipeg and there are more from other prairie towns, especially in Country music). That was the first thing I noticed when I moved to Vancouver actually was how BORING everyone is dressed at the clubs. I stick right out. I saw a group of about 10 girls walking down the street one day and they were all but 2 wearing the EXACT SAME THING but in different colours or patterns to the fabric. I actually find Vancouver kills my creative spirit when it comes to clothing because everything is so drab here and I know I will stick out even if I wear what i consider to be my "boring" clubbing clothes.

hmm, that's an interesting perception about the dress in Vancouver Rockitgirl. I wonder if it also has to do with the amount of money there and because of that, more of an awareness about what things cost and what that conveys. I think you made some really excellent points above though about the government just not having enough money to go around to maintain infrastructure. And it's so true what you say about a lot of Canadians buying only things they need, with the exception of electronics, and being fashionable/trendy/whatever really is not valued at all. It's interesting how you say that is part of the frugal immigrant mentality. I think that's definately part of it, and when you compare that with the states, it would explain a lot. For example, when the US was founded you can roughly divide those early settlers into two distinct groups, those who came for religious purposes, and those who came to make money (ie plant and grow tobacco) and so already you have a group of people who are there because of an economic incentive and they would want to display their riches in their clothes, their houses (ie big plantations), the size of their labour force, etc. etc. In Canada however, it much more about being practical, raw survival. You have winter throughout Canada, unlike let's say The Carolina's where the clothes on your back don't really matter as much in terms of practicality. Anyway, this is just more musings from a rambling mind but it's so good to hear others thoughts. And you're right finalfashion, it probably isn't necessary to change it. But at the same time, I do think it's an injustice that creative talent in Canada doesn't have a forum for getting heard, that the shows that toronto fashion week picks up are so bland, and thus Canadians themselves perceive that it's an unCanadian thing to do or that we aren't good at it. But maybe as you say, that's just the plight of the arts in Canada.

eta: The Belgian school I was talking about was La Cambre....

^ & also Antwerp Royal Academy

I guess what it boils down to, what you guys are saying.. it's something ingrained in the culture in Canada
You think of Italy, France, Japan.. There is an importance placed on appearance, beauty, thoughtful design (in the food, in the clothes, in the cars..) "good life"

For me, I feel it's just underground at the moment..
I'm only speaking about the arts, but I think it's connected with fashion.. There are many events, conferences happening, people don't just collect together here, they will go to the U.S. and elsewhere --a global thing than national. You can find a market if you just go where you're appreciated.. There are people who are not in the arts/fashion who can still appreciate it...
It's not reaching the public completely, but just starting to connect myself with the guilds and groups here now, and noticing it feels bigger than I thought and I never even thought of it existing

And I think a lot of Canadians like "trends". That's what most of them think of as fashionable.. It's only what's said to be popular, what's familiar that they go after. That's why they all wear the same thing. How often do I see one person do one thing, and then a bunch of them find they like it, and the next thing you know they copy it EXACTLY.. no thoughts about personalizing it in any way...
There would be more space for creativity when you just think of finding ways to bring out the beauty in all things, not concerning yourself too much with everyone else. Or it could just be about changing how one thinks.. that you can "convert" them by inspiring person after person with how to personalize an object... rather than just condemning all the Canadians.

btw the scarcely populated idea is a good one...
I myself don't like the open space and short buildings. I like the security of being squished in a like-minded crowd and claustrophobic streets :P

meg what is ETA...

Canada is actually a very urban country. The population centres are all down along the border in a narrow band. The rest is pretty empty. You can't pay new immigrants to move anywhere but southern Ontario and Vancouver.

Canadians are pretty resistant to spending money on original art of any type. It kills me the number of people who would rather buy a Bateman 'print' than an excellent original painting for the same price. So many great artists here, and they have to sell it all to foreigners. There is no trust in one's own taste.

That's hilarious about the Bateman! The house I live in right now is FILLED with them! And yes they are prints :lol: As you say, 'no trust in one's own taste', it just means they're not seeing enough and haven't had the chance and experience to know how to compare.. Just need to be educated..

It was the Festival Mode et Design in Montreal (June 4th to 7th)... not very exciting if you ask me. The only fashion show worth seeing was the local designers making hommages to YSL, including two of my favorite Montreal designers, Renata Morales and Rad Hourani.

Check out magazine event listings. Flare lists events, as does Lou Lou

Also, check out sites like Toronto City Events and perhaps She Does the City as well.

One amazing fashion event coming up in a couple of weeks is Petite Fashionista Presents. While most of the designers there are from the US, the event is also featuring the Canadian line, Benedicto, which had its first fashion show in May.

i'm not terribly interested in what 'flare' or 'lou lou' have to say when it comes to the world of fashion. i actually find most canadian fashion publications to be bland, as they don't really capture the sense of the people in canada. they're just a slight spin on mainstream american fashion magazines.

i didn't go into ottawa fashion week expecting the world, but i did expect it to be organized. the "stage" area was a real wreck, and as i wandered around backstage, you could tell the people in production had no clue what they were doing. the showroom was the same thing. i can actually appreciate an event if it's executed properly, but doesn't contain gobs of talent, than vice-versa. if you do neither...well, not much i can say about that.

i'm growing tired of every city trying to be 'fashionable.' it isn't an innate part of every culture (meaning you may not have the means, talent, or audience), and that's fantastic, since while the culture may not be fashionable, each has a distinct style, no matter what you want to label it.

Moose Jaw fashion week!!!:rofl::rofl:

Ahh...well...it's kinda' cute, I guess. Good for them.

i'm not terribly interested in what 'flare' or 'lou lou' have to say when it comes to the world of fashion. i actually find most canadian fashion publications to be bland, as they don't really capture the sense of the people in canada. they're just a slight spin on mainstream american fashion magazines.

i didn't go into ottawa fashion week expecting the world, but i did expect it to be organized. the "stage" area was a real wreck, and as i wandered around backstage, you could tell the people in production had no clue what they were doing. the showroom was the same thing. i can actually appreciate an event if it's executed properly, but doesn't contain gobs of talent, than vice-versa. if you do neither...well, not much i can say about that.

i'm growing tired of every city trying to be 'fashionable.' it isn't an innate part of every culture (meaning you may not have the means, talent, or audience), and that's fantastic, since while the culture may not be fashionable, each has a distinct style, no matter what you want to label it.

But what about alternative/niche markets? Other cities are already super-saturated with big, mainstream labels. Canadian cities, however, have lots of room for non-standard size designers, for example to grow. That is, if we want it to happen.

i'm not sure there's enough people to constitute an alternative/niche market in most places.

at the end of the day, designers have to make a profit. we can say this city has this much talent, but if said city doesn't have the demographic to be a viable market for a designer, they have no choice but to quit or move to market that benefits them.

i'm not sure there's enough people to constitute an alternative/niche market in most places.

at the end of the day, designers have to make a profit. we can say this city has this much talent, but if said city doesn't have the demographic to be a viable market for a designer, they have no choice but to quit or move to market that benefits them.

Oh...there's enough. I think it's just that lots of people are just going the easy route and doing things that they *THINK* would appeal to the masses. If a population makes up some 40-ish%, yet they aren't truly accomodated, then don't you think it's time (I'm mostly talking about petite sizes, but it can be applied to plus sizes too...or both!). People WILL BUY, you know. The only reason why they aren't purchasing petites is because the clothes are either really granny-like, too expensive and/or lack choice.

I'm looking at applying for an internship with FASHION Magazine in Toronto this coming fall. Apparently is lasts about 3 months and I have to come up with a few story ideas for my application.

Does anyone have any tips about how I should go about securing this internship or others for that matter? I'm bent on being in Toronto by the end of September in some sort of fashion office. Thanks in advance.

I'm looking at applying for an internship with FASHION Magazine in Toronto this coming fall. Apparently is lasts about 3 months and I have to come up with a few story ideas for my application.

Does anyone have any tips about how I should go about securing this internship or others for that matter? I'm bent on being in Toronto by the end of September in some sort of fashion office. Thanks in advance.

Check the FASHION website. Flare also offers internships, though I think you have to be in school to take it.

Hope this helps!

Maybe also check the Elle Canada website or perhaps the fashion/arts department of the Globe and Mail.

I don't think you'd have to pay immigrants to leave Southern ontario...if anything you'd have to pay them to work there seeing as the economy is booming in Western Canada and that's where the highest economic growth is. Either way - as Bette said earlier in the thread, I do believe Canadians are quite conservative in the way they dress. There has to be a certain practicality to it depending on where you live. That said, I attend a fairly large university, and while many of the girls here dress with no individuality and quite upper-middle class mainstream (ie sweats tucked into uggs, lululemon bag, etc.) there are a number of people who dress individuality, and with a lot of interesting details. So, I think there's hope :P

gius - eta means "edited to add"

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lovetolove
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->