Fashion Terms/Terminology and Abbreviations

PrinceOfCats

Naturellement pulpeuse
Reaction score
Bias-cut is one of those things I've always taken forgranted...I realised yesterday that I don't actually know what it means. I always had the impression that it meant something that was cut not on the seams but on the bias instead which reveals the shape of the body more or something....is this right?

its a way of cutting up the garment by placing the pattern on diagonal against fabric's 'normal grain :wink:

Hi Prince of Cats :flower: For autumn/winter 1997 Rei Kawakubo designed a collection for COMME DES GARCONS HOMME PLUS and EVERYTHING was cut on the bias , including knitwear !

Alexander McQueen was a model in the runway show - very much in his pre-lyposuction days !!!

To keep on point , I have a short ' bum - starver ' jacket from that collection , and the fact that it's cut on the bias gives it a totally different feel from a coventionally cut one . It goes to prove that women CAN bring a totally different perspective to an ordinary item of a man's attire !

regards KIT :innocent:

as suggested in "what are you wearing today"
for anyone who has questions about the above...
please feel free to post them here:flower:

as an example:
anna karina said:
what is a piping

softgrey said:
**piping is like trim..usually in a contrasting colour...in a round shape ..usually sewn into a seam...
similar to the trim onthe marni pants i posted a couple of days ago...

colour abbreviations...the basic colours have accepted abbreviations...
some short ones are always spelled out...
you'll find these on line sheets and garment tags...etc...

red-red
blue-blue
black-blk
white-wht
pink-pk
brown-brn
green-grn
light (green)-lt (grn)
dark (green)-dk (grn)
orange-orange
yellow-yell
grey/gray-same

thank you softgrey, some are easy to guess but "pk" for example i wouldn't have known.

Thank you AK for making this thread..it's about time :clap: :kiss:

I'm cruising Softies old posts in "What are you wearing today for abbrev's

slv = sleeves
slvless = sleeveless
nk = neck ?
nklc = necklace
Vnk = v-neck
clr = clear
lthr = leather ?
silvr = silver
olv = olive ?
nvy = navy
jkt = jacket
swtr = sweater

And can some style terms please be clarified ? Such as
cap sleeves ??? ..how do they look?
sheath ??? as in sheath dress
scoop neck ?
ruched legs ?
kurta style top ?

This is depressing..I'm feeling dumb as a doorknob..

Last edited by a moderator:
Whats the difference between roll necks, turtlenecks, polo necks and cowl necks? Or are they all pretty much the same?

Hi Hanne!

Ummm - I think I know a couple:
Cap Sleeve: would be a very short sleeve which does not extend past the shoulder
Sheath Dress: A very figure hugging, sometimes sleeveless short dress (max. mid-calf) with a defined waist line (but no belt).

I think the kurta is an Eastern Indian type of kaftan or tunic - silk...beaded..etc...

With ruched legs - I believe this is when the fabric leg is gathered repeatedly, and when the gathering thread is pulled upwards, the fabric forms 'petals'... does that make sense?

Also - your posts are always consistently insightful, do not EVER feel dumb.

fezbatik.. for you ! :kiss:

And here we go..more abbreviations..

flt = flats or flat ?
blzr = blazer
skt = skirt
jns = jeans

Not sure I really know what tis means
cords = some kind of pants..?
cargo pts .. pts ??

Hanne--don't feel dumb....we all have diff terms....I think this thread is a great addition to the boards

cords--yes, most people use this in reference to "corduroy" pants
pts--pants

I found a scoop neck, cap sleeve top for you:

Attachments

• 8856_detail.jpg
    8856_detail.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 18
Paullw said:
Whats the difference between roll necks, turtlenecks, polo necks and cowl necks? Or are they all pretty much the same?
I was going to try to answer this, but I can't seem to put it into the right words. Could someone explain it well or find pictures of something?

Paullw said:
Ok, a polo neck has a collar similar to a dress shirt, a cowl neck is a neck hole that is quite wide and is intended to drape somewhat, a turtleneck is a high neck almost chin height that is fairly fitted and roll neck....I'm not quite sure.

Polo neck is a close-fitting high collar
Cowl neck is a loose fitting high collar (draped like on a cowl)
Turtleneck is an American polo neck
Roll neck does what it says on the tin

OED

Last edited by a moderator:
Spike413 said:
Ok, a polo neck has a collar similar to a dress shirt

Thats a polo shirt, different to a polo neck. Thanks for the explanations though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ericbaig68
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->