Fashion's limits are reached?

Reaction score
First of all, hello everyone, I'm quite new here.

Today looked at all the book at my personal library for Javier Vallhonrat, Newton, Bourdin, old Testino and etc... Then I went on 'Magazines' and 'Ad Campaigns' - this brought me to one interesting thought. Some people, of course, like contemporary fashion since it is up to date, it is 'reinventing' itself, but then class of it and genuine art is gone?
Looking at old archives, even the beginning of 2nd millennium, I realised that today it is more about being pretentiously artsy or weird for the sake of being weird and different. Fashion world already was commercial in past decade, even past two decades, but only now it became so repetitive, so tedious. Is it because we've seen to much of it and got tired? Or creatives cannot bring anything new? Or conglomerates forbid all the interesting things?
We can just look at campaigns of Gucci went Testino used to shoot them and last... I cannot even remember, last 5 seasons? All the same studio shots by Mert & Marcus that look exactly the same as Versace campaigns by them? And even I say that, person who collected all their work from 1998 to 2012.

Not that I try to complain, but just am interested in different opinions.

Complain away-- as you should!

I don't think high fashion's limits have been reached.

Fashion is in a very precarious place right now: somewhere between the online/social culture with their insatiable, but totally throwaway appetite and taste that only wants the latest status/gimmick, and have it discarded within a handful of months, and labels being handled by multi-billion dollar conglomerates that demand huge turnovers in the shortest amount of time. Both of these entities have no patience to invest and nurture design and only demand instant gratification.

There are pockets of genuine inspirations here and there, of course. There always are, and always were and will be. I think, in time, when this mad mad mad rush for quantity over quality, flash over substance, tribute over originality, and hype over talent comes to a reasonable pace (it will never come to an end), then a renaissance of sorts will emerge again. I think the turn-of-the-century towards the mid-2000 was an extremely exciting time in high fashion. Now, not so much. This generally mundane era needs to be weathered before the new era dawns. If there's one constance about high fashion is that it never stays the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcad1947
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->