• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

Finding Your Style

I think your style will evolve during your whole life - you will never be "ready".

I suggest you try to think in terms of what kind of style inspires you and try to find out what flatters your body and skin tone. Finding your style is slow, but you will improve all the time.

If I were you, I'd go through my clothes and first separate all the clothes which are no longer wearable or of good quality. Then I would separate those clothes I don't like. I'd throw out or donate these clothes in these two groups, or if you are not 100% sure whether you are ready for that I would keep them out of my wardrobe, stored in some place where you can't see them and they don't mix with the clothes you like. I would separate those clothes which are of good quality and which you really like to wear and try to wear those only. If you can't find any clothes you love from your closet and are bored with it, I suggest you opt to keep and wear the most basic pieces and try to figure out what inspires you. Having good basics first is a good way of building your style.

I found my style! Or, I just decided to do in a different direction, decided I will never buy another grapich tee again.
I want to develop a British schoolboy/dandy look, with lots of ties, collared shirts and v-necks. Now I just need money to actually buy it all, since all I own is t-shirts and jeans. I'm excited about it, and I can see myself sticking with it for the rest of my life.
The inspiration came from all my favorite movies, Finding Neverland, Le Ballon Rouge, Talented Mr. Ripley... movies are a good place for anyone to start.

I know from experience, graphic tees are personal style's worst enemy, and anybody looking for their own look should stay away from them and get clothes that make a statement by their cut and design, instead of what band name is written on them.

oh, sorry i really forgot to try the search function first :blush:

thanks jolg and whitelinen for your advice, that really helped me. :flower::heart:

i agree with just experimenting. i'm a different person every day. people never know what to suspect. by not having 'a style' you can wear EVERYTHING. you know? it's a lot more fun that way.

I don't think it's either good to think what style you need. Just try to wear the things that you like, don't think in ways of being "classic" or "sporty" or "indie". Don't think by categories.

I think I've found my style, but I have trouble executing it. Right now all I wear is jeans and tees, but I'm scared of change. I mean, I know how I want to look, but I don't want to make such a drastic change.

Should I just buy everything I know I like, and then bring it out little by little? I just don't want to come across as try-hard.

Well ... with some music there are lyrics to work with ... I mean .. you can tell if someones is into rebelry or romanticism just because of it ... cant you?

Look through pages like www.net-a-porter.com , www.asos.com , www.shopbop.com and so on.. find outfits or pieces of clothing that you like and could picture yourself wearing. Then when you have made yourself a decent collage it might make it easier if you want to define your style. When you get the "feeling" of your style and how you want to dress, bring a few pictures if you want to, and search for items that looks like it or is in the same style in the stores.

Reading your post it sounded like you already have a very nice sense of style. If you want to be cute and classy, but just not too "grown up" looking, why not go shopping for a cute pair of shoes to make you stand out from the crowd - perhaps some patent red flats? They would look classy and stylish in a youthful kind of way. You could team them with a nice pair of comfortable jeans, a cute blouse with maybe a little oversized grey cardigan over?

I hope that helped a little:smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
luciagatti
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->