For Whom Do Fashionable Women Dress?

no mean to contradict,
maybe we can dress for ourselves , trough the perception the others have towards us. maybe.. its all terminology... anyways.

in my case, my main reason is to dress for confort, theres nothing like feeling good in your clothes, quality fabrics, jerseys, knits..i love knits, soft leather. the touch of these on my skin makes my day.:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
i think that dressing a certain way can definately show the way in which you view yourself, and it can be used to blend into or stand out from groups and stereotypes..
dressing up can certainly demand a level of respect that dressing down wouldn't and vice versa.
its fun, and thats what fashion is all about, having fun

For when? For where? For What?

Certainly, self-confidence and self-expression through fashion is a good thing, and if a woman like's how she looks, that will show through in her attitude and interactions with others -- which might land other bonus opportunities in totally unrelated ways.

But the idea of any serious artform or expression is that there is an audience. Taking oneself out of the context of society implies a certain disconnectedness, a sort of aesthetic schizophrenia. A ballroom gown at a swim meet? Lovely as art, certainly a bit eccentric, probably harmless, would make great fashion photography - but is it fashionable?

ultramarine said:
I think they dress for themselves ...
On my behalf ... I'll admit I have my fashion crisis, but as a very loved fspotter said, I'm schizo-chic!

:heart:...

Hmm, I'm not sure I consider myself a "truly fashionable woman" but I think I dress for myself on most occasions. Occasionally I'll doll myself up to look cute for a boy. My style is very simple, jeans and t-shirts or basic tops...occasionally I'll go a little wilder.

Usually I dress for Kmart however :P
Because I have to wear black pants and a white/red polo for work...and I'm there 9 hours out of most days.

Em

DW_Hamilton said:
Certainly, self-confidence and self-expression through fashion is a good thing, and if a woman like's how she looks, that will show through in her attitude and interactions with others -- which might land other bonus opportunities in totally unrelated ways.

But the idea of any serious artform or expression is that there is an audience. Taking oneself out of the context of society implies a certain disconnectedness, a sort of aesthetic schizophrenia. A ballroom gown at a swim meet? Lovely as art, certainly a bit eccentric, probably harmless, would make great fashion photography - but is it fashionable?

Very well said. :clap:

I dress for myself, because dressing in a certain way can help me achieve my goals. Whether they be career goals or personal goals... it doesn't matter... so in the end I am dressing for myself.

If my goal was to impress fashion lovers like us who frequent this site I would dress differently, and possibly be "truly" fashionable

Question: How many times have 'fashion-loving non-conformists' took a look at someone in an outfit they necessarily wouldn't wear and started criticising them because they chose to dress that way?

I dress firstly for myself and then maybe for whatever audience I may happen upon. I buy things because I want them, I wear them becasue I want to. Not because I am in competition with anyone. Though coming to the audience point, i do realise that certain people are used to me presenting in a certain way (work for example) so I conciously heighten my dressing at times. For that is the precedence i have set :wink:

I have to feel good or I wont wear it so I guess it is still about me though...

SJPdeux said:
I buy things because I want them, I wear them becasue I want to. Not because I am in competition with anyone. Though coming to the audience point, i do realise that certain people are used to me presenting in a certain way

That's a good way to put it SJPdeux -- what I own is perhaps a better representation of my style than what I actually wear 365 days a year. Prolly different for those of you not on a college campus, but, shucks, it's easy to slip into a pair of jeans, boots and a sweater daily. Let's just assume that that sweater is always a nicely deconstructed assymetrical one... :innocent:

Thanks Czilla!
Am I the only person that used to go to the gym on my day-off's in joggies (sweats for my americanos) and now have to dress up to get there!?! I thought fitness came first :wink:

Emery said:
I think if you dress the way you really like, you project a kind of confidence that people find attractive - and that's the opposite of the "I'm wearing Gucci" kind of confidence that repels people.

Emery...i couldn't agree more!

God, SJPdeux, gymwear IS insane. Our gym is filled with mirrors and it certainly makes the workout experience more entertaining. That said, everyone really is smwhat busy checking other people out... The cardio room just boggles my mind -- girls in full makeup logging 2 hours on the elliptical. Thanks, I prefer the upstairs studio (legwarmer friendly!) or the weightroom :smile::giggle:: All those dolls in the cardio dress for each other.. meanwhile I, in my lowly shorts and tournament tees, get to talk to the beautiful boys downstairs. Whee. ;p)

As for confidence and happily strutting your distinctive stuff -- absolutely. I couldn't agree more. You shouldn't stick out in a crowd because you're wearing smthing hideously eye catching... but bc people are curious about that chick w/ the fabulous bearing and outfit to match. :lol:

czilla said:
God, SJPdeux, gymwear IS insane. Our gym is filled with mirrors and it certainly makes the workout experience more entertaining. That said, everyone really is smwhat busy checking other people out... The cardio room just boggles my mind -- girls in full makeup logging 2 hours on the elliptical. Thanks, I prefer the upstairs studio (legwarmer friendly!) or the weightroom :smile::giggle:: All those dolls in the cardio dress for each other.. meanwhile I, in my lowly shorts and tournament tees, get to talk to the beautiful boys downstairs. Whee. ;p)

As for confidence and happily strutting your distinctive stuff -- absolutely. I couldn't agree more. You shouldn't stick out in a crowd because you're wearing smthing hideously eye catching... but bc people are curious about that chick w/ the fabulous bearing and outfit to match. :lol:

Czilla, the whole makeup thing is so true. At my gym the aerobics class is about half full of women in full makeup. It's so funny. Not to mention the other day I was waiting for the class to start and some ladies were outside of the room talking and one lady heading up the conversation was talking about how she used to go to Jane Fonda back in the day and how much makeup was worn and how fashionable the women dressed. She was talking like she frowned upon the fact that women wore makeup to the gym and she had on a face full of makeup while telling this story. :lol: :lol: That was the funniest.

i think fashionable women dress mainly for them selves i mean some of the more kooky creative dressers you know they are not dressing for anyone else or to attract the opicite sex

I dress for myself. Well I don't know how fashionable I would be considered compared to those who I consider stylish (even though I can't necessarily find clothing that looks like what I want all the time), but I don't see why I would want to dress for anyone else especially for people with a mainstream "pop culture" based idea of what fashionable means. And I don't really think the fashionable dress for others, but then again, can I really speak for someone else when it comes to why they dress the way they dress?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stephenandrebecca
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->