Gareth Pugh F/W 2016.17 London

It's very McQueen-ish in terms of tailoring, I mean here you've got sexy and powerful yet wearable and chic clothes and it's not a bad thing, esp. after NYFW. This whole collection is very 'focused', too, you can easily see the main idea. I like it, it's not as messy as his s/s 16 collection for example.

"Joan Crawford if she was Hannibal Lecter’s mistress" is what it's about.
I mean, that can't do no wrong. Gareth's tailoring has that flooded/ dropped and fading effect, that enhances the spookiness. I don't know how his customers feel, but stylists essentially will be partying hard with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hate that star print, but other than that, this is very chic. Some of the silhouettes and draping remind me of Haider Ackermann.

This... is really, really good. Great tailoring. great fabrics. I just wish the shoes were a little more interesting but I love it all.

Come on Gareth... this is Givenchy by McQueen F/W 98, even the hair and makeup.

^^
I was thinking more about the Givenchy FW 1997 but you are right.
It's good but i wish the tailoring was sharper. The cut is not as precise as we could expect from this type of collection.
It's chic, yes but....up close, it looks a bit....cheap.

I'm oddly into the 40s/wartime look. It's definitely a more "wearable" collection from him, which I like. But I wish he had pushed it a bit further.

One of the most hideous collection I have seen in my life. And I thought it could not get worse after his last collection.

This is just dated, tacky and even embarrassing to watch. This tailoring is so uninteresting; it's some bad Alexander McQueen without the provocative touch and of course not even the perfection in the details.

The shoes, the styling, the hair, those stupid masks; everything I just can't...

I used to love you Gareth Pugh. But now I certainly don't....​

Very refined and wearable compared to previous collections.
I can actually see this selling quite well and putting him more into the mainstream HF market.
I actually really like the stars, especially on the coats.

^^
... The cut is not as precise as we could expect from this type of collection.
It's chic, yes but....up close, it looks a bit....cheap.

I agree, I think this is the main problem. It may simply be a question of fabric selection, which is odd considering he's made extraordinary things from very ordinary bits and bobs. What I do admire about this collection is this sense of unease that he's been able to capture in spite of (or thanks to?) the lack of finish.

It's good but i wish the tailoring was sharper. The cut is not as precise as we could expect from this type of collection. It's chic, yes but....up close, it looks a bit....cheap.
Feeling the same thing. At first glance attractive but at second glance not refined enough and a bit oldish/dated especially the brown leather. The styling is more interesting/sharp than the clothes itself.

Come on Gareth... this is Givenchy by McQueen F/W 98, even the hair and makeup.

I like this collection , some pieces are wearable but!
it's more old that 98 :wink: , i had black jacket from Escada r-t-w - with red silk "stars" emboriedery in 95-97?! and black velour pensil skirt.
You are right Marc, in my case it was Escada, 95-97 :D but it was identic!
( Maybe i like many pieces because nostalgic Feeling??? :lol:)

it looks like he was told to start selling clothes OR ELSE, and for that it's not bad. It's just weird that for someone who used to be so "out there" as a designer that when he designs supposedly real clothes his vision of a woman is so dated and old fashioned. Having said that it"s always been good to have him around and if he needs to do this to stay in business I'm all for it.

I cannot see Gareth Pugh´s style in this collection. All I can see is the "Blade Runner" collection by McQueen for Givenchy...circa 1998!

it looks like he was told to start selling clothes OR ELSE, and for that it's not bad. It's just weird that for someone who used to be so "out there" as a designer that when he designs supposedly real clothes his vision of a woman is so dated and old fashioned. Having said that it"s always been good to have him around and if he needs to do this to stay in business I'm all for it.

Agree.
This collection is very commercial.

A lot of McQueen for Givenchy HC S/S 1998 is there, styling, tailoring, the head "pieces" are looking me similar but in Pugh's collection it looks so commercial that my first thought was " how much could-would it cost?" :wink: :lol: and normally i haven't this "wantbuyit" feeling by Pugh collections.

bourgeoisie pugh?
very 80s.
not my thing.
would rather he go back to goth.

touches of that here, i guess, with the dragon-lady nails, the bizarre facial/cheek makeup, and those hannibal lector masks (a nod to silence of the lambs being 25 years old last week?).

clearly, these are femme fatales. that much is obvious. corporate dominatrixes. lady killers.

LOL at the comments.

Mcqueen did not invent 40s dressing. The clothes in Blade Runner were straight out of the early 40s. Dame/ Rich b*tch clothes from the early 40s is what this best exemplifies.

This was the only collection which stood out for me at London Fashion week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nise
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->