Gareth Pugh F/W 2016.17 London

Discussion in 'Designers and Collections' started by jexxica, Feb 20, 2016.

View Users: View Users
  1. Marc10

Marc10 Moderator

^Obviously no one is claiming that. But the way the clothes were put together here is very similar to that Givenchy show. And since McQueen is a big influence on Gareth, it's naive to think that collection didn't cross his mind (or his inspiration board) while designing this.

#21 Marc10, Feb 21, 2016
    Last edited by moderator PureAmber: Feb 21, 2016
  2. Lola701

Lola701 Well-Known Member

True, McQueen did not invent 40's dressing But Pugh vision of 40's dressing is really McQueen-ish.
    People are referencing the 40's everytime. Mrs Westwood is a champion in that category and she manages to make it her own.

This is very derivative of McQueen and Gareth can do better than that.

3. jeanclaude

jeanclaude New Member

As Marc10 and Lola701 well said, Gareth´s way of reinterpreting 40s style is obviously and blatantly through McQueen lenses.
    We already knew the 40s film noir influences in Blade Runner wardrobe, by the way...

#23 jeanclaude, Feb 21, 2016
    Last edited by moderator obese: Feb 21, 2016
  4. Not Plain Jane

Not Plain Jane Active Member

personally i don't get all this 40s talk. :huh:
    the 40s were much softer.

i can see 40s a bit in the hair and the hats i guess.

but the cuts here are harder, much more 80s influenced the way i see it. the final trio looks straight out of a helmet newton shot.

i just finished reading this review at vogue, with which i concur, in terms of the references, anyhow.

5. jeanclaude

jeanclaude New Member

The 40s theme came into the conversation due to the "Blade Runner" collection by McQueen. "Blade Runner" wardrobe was inspired by 40s film noir looks (among other influences); but we have to take into consideration that "Blade Runner" is an 80s film...anyway the point here is that Pugh´s collection is very McQueen in terms of cuts and stylism.

Very, very, very McQueen!

6. mistress_f

mistress_f Hell on Heels

For some reason, i love this?
    Reminds me of 90s mcqueen tailoring, and while nothing here is new, it really looks good. Like, if we really have to reference the 90s all the time, i'll take this any time of the day. and certain coats/capes and dresses are absolutely stunning. Last season was a nightmare, this is pretty good

7. Miss Dalloway

Miss Dalloway Well-Known Member

Favorite collection so far! Such a strong, and in control woman, i love this!

8. disco54

disco54 Active Member

I am sure it did cross his mind, my point is McQueen does not have a monopoly on a certain fashion era.

9. tricotineacetat

tricotineacetat Active Member

I give him credit for wanting to move on from being Rick Owens flashier, little sister brand, but the execution leaves a lot to be desired, especially on the classical tailoring. When you go into the territory of such pieces, you better know if you have the pattern cutters and producers to make it work in the necessary precision (that somebody like McQueen had).

10. Highsky0916

Highsky0916 New Member

:wink:I think I love him the show design style,nice

11. ToniOrtega

ToniOrtega Member

Surprisingly, I see this as the chicest and most mature collection of the season to date (and of his career). I love this! I live for this!! The chicness of the camel numbers is just immaculate!! I was never a fan (though never hated him neither) of Pugh but this collection is just one of my favorites this season!

12. Emmanuelle

Emmanuelle New Member

Strange elegance, I like it !