Gia Carangi

i have a friend that used to work at elite in the 80"s and they used to call Cindy Crawford "baby Gia"and I totally see it.When Cindy first started out they couldv'e been sisters

Hi to you all!
before there was Amanda Moore, there was Gia Marie Carangi..
I know Gia and I'm a fan of Gia for a couple of years.
Gia and Amanda are lesbians but they are not the same...
they are beautiful in different ways..
I know almost every picture of Gia and I have a picture printed of Gia.
Gia is standing next to my computer with her hands in her hair and a brown wintercoat on... one of my fav.
Gia was a big mystery to me, but when I found more about her life, she captured my heart.
Her life, her sadness, her joy, her love, her drug abuse, her money, her friends, her family, her work in the fashion industry.. her everything!
it didn't mean Sh.. to her, yet it did mean everything...she felt, lonely.
Gia was beautiful in so many ways..
Gia was looking for love and acknowledgement!... and everyone has his/her own interpretation and this is mine.
Gia is the example of being successful and famous, but it didn't make her happy.. The rise and fall of a supermodel.
Why I have this picture of her standing next to my computer?
The reason why is, because life is precious.
Gia, she had her own problems and she dealt with it by using drugs, it gave her that warm and special feeling inside.
The fashion industrie can be a lonely place if you are a model. Traveling most of the time, work a lot and having difficulties to start a friendship/relationship with someone, because you'r always away...going some where.
So you can be a very populair and famous model but if you arn't happy...
if you think about it; advertising, publicity, the consumer.. it's all bassed on that.. us! our satisfaction, they are our puppets.. our beautiful puppets.
The word "Fashionistas" was from the book "Thing Of Beauty" by Stephen Fried. it's his word.
I like Gia so much because she was a Rebel, not a model at all in real life.
She wear men's clothes most of the time and yet she was this big supermodel...

Last edited by a moderator:
iluvjeisa,
you don't know me, but I know that you are a fan just like me!
What do you think about this picture of Amanda Brandao, she's from Brazil and is a model for model agency Next in NY.

http://supermodels.nl/Tools/img.aspx?img=/ModelPics/amandabrandao/20.jpg&w=300from:supermodels.nl
From Model: The Ugly Business Of Beautiful Women by Michael Gross
Helmut Newton, He said, 'Throw on the red lips and the bad eyes!'
if I see this picture of Brandao, I think of Gia! :wink:

miscgal-73.gif

Teratel said:
iluvjeisa,
you don't know me, but I know that you are a fan just like me!
What do you think about this picture of Amanda Brandao, she's from Brazil and is a model for model agency Next in NY.

http://supermodels.nl/Tools/img.aspx?img=/ModelPics/amandabrandao/20.jpg&w=300from:supermodels.nl
From Model: The Ugly Business Of Beautiful Women by Michael Gross
Helmut Newton, He said, 'Throw on the red lips and the bad eyes!'
if I see this picture of Brandao, I think of Gia! :wink:

Oh, I'm a fan alright :wink: Certifiable too :lol: I'm not sure about Brandao, she has the same attitude, kinda, but not much facial structure similarity. The people who've struck me as the most looking like Gia are: Cindy C - from some angles with the colors, eyes and mouth, Jeisa from many angles (everything except the mouth is similar), and very strangely Mike Monroe of Hanoi Rocks who has facial mimicry, movement scheme and mouth just like her (they seem to be using a similar concoction, perhaps).

gorgeous woman, she looks like a mixture of Cindy Crawford & Caroline Ribeiro

For me Gia is the most beautiful model ever.Cindy and Gia got much in common but Gia had that edge, spark and play that is so unique.Gias story is so sad and its a shame how the fashion industry just dumped her when her addiction begun to show...I hate it but thats what it's all about - money, money, money...

purplelucrezia said:
I feel exactly the same way! I dislike the "every woman" look of models like Gia and even the models of the 90's. I find models much more interesting if they have something slightly strange and different about them. Large eyes, a long, almost inhuman figure... Not curvy and natural and expected. Runway fashion isn't the real world for most people, I think that models should reflect that sense of imagination, fantasy and unreality. I really do think that these models today are amazing! Their only competitors would have been the equally different icons of the 60's... I really wouldn't want to return to the boredom of the other decades.

post-11-1077672044.jpg

I agree about models having a "quirky" feature so they stand out. But back in Gia's day, Gia was considered "quirky," "exotic," etc...Especially at a time when most of the major fashion magazines were dominated by the blonde-haired, blue-eyed models such as Cheryl Tiegs, Christie Brinkley, Patti Hansen, and even Cybill Shepherd:sick: .

EvaLaDiva said:
I agree about models having a "quirky" feature so they stand out. But back in Gia's day, Gia was considered "quirky," "exotic," etc...Especially at a time when most of the major fashion magazines were dominated by the blonde-haired, blue-eyed models such as Cheryl Tiegs, Christie Brinkley, Patti Hansen, and even Cybill Shepherd:sick: .

That's true in a way. Except, I think that Patti Hansen was actually a great model, with an interesting type of expression. The 70s models may have been rather conventional looking, but they often had a spunk and confidence that models of later generations lacked. I think that's what Gisele added to the mix in the late 90s, which was very welcome at the time (even though I personally wished that she hadn't come with quite that much lube). Now, we have models who are rather 60s+punk, IMO, at least that's the mood that Sasha, Freja and Iselin are all giving me.

I'd never call Gia expected and safe, though like someone did, anyone who says that can't have looked at her body of work carefully enough ^_^

Gia is the REAL thing, my dad and mom knew her and saw her in real life with NO lighting , makeup , ect......said she was the most beautiful woman , truly stunning...

some more pics of Gia from:ebay:heart: (especially posted to my dear iluvjeisa, i miss you darling...)

Attachments

• giaphoto05.jpg
    giaphoto05.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 66
  • ab_3.jpg
    ab_3.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 36
  • giacarangi_vogueuk_1979.19.jpg
    giacarangi_vogueuk_1979.19.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 39
  • giacarangi_vogueuk_1979.22.jpg
    giacarangi_vogueuk_1979.22.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 42
She was/is the best looking Supermodel of all time, I just don't think anyone could top her, not even Angelina Jolie..
I just finished reading the book Thing of Beauty based on Gia's life and I think to myself why didn't ANYONE help her?

WonderWoman said:
She was/is the best looking Supermodel of all time, I just don't think anyone could top her, not even Angelina Jolie..
I just finished reading the book Thing of Beauty based on Gia's life and I think to myself why didn't ANYONE help her?
Denial is a powerful thing.

WonderWoman said:

Her agency or her mom should have sent her to rehab earlier on. But it's impossible to help someone who is on that substance path and is not willing to change.

She was a party girl with an escalating drug problem. They're not easy to help because they're often wild and don't understand that they have a problem, and certainly don't invite people to help them. In addition, she was attracted to women who simply were unable to stabilize her. Further, she had the extreme bad luck of starting using IV heroin heavy duty the very year before HIV was even discovered, but when it was spreading in the largest cities of the US, which basically meant that as soon as she started using IV heroin she had to go through a rather lengthy process before she was ready to see that she had to quit. For her this involved going in and out of rehab, loosing her job, loosing her reputation, wasting all her money, turning to prostitution (even though it's not clear just to what extent she did that)...just basically loosing everything. When she hit rock bottom and was on the path to understanding that she couldn't go on like this anymore, which is the insight which is needed for anyone to succeed in helping an addict, it was too late and she lost her life.

It seems to me that Gia was as unlucky as Keith Richards, Marianne Faithful and Anita Pallenberg were lucky. I mean, if they had behaved the way they did in the early 70s in the late 70s instead they would most likely be dead.

i know some stuff about her ... and seeing the pictures.. i wish sooooo much that shee would still be alive... to see her in tv and stuff.. i dont know how to explain myself... haha :blush:

i have some lines that she said or wrote (dont know,, havent seen the movie) and i absolutely love themm... i feel like saying them about my life (of course it doesnt compare..... )

~*life and death.. energy and peace..
if i stop today,, it was still worth it.
even the terrible mistakes that i have made..
and would have unmade if i could.
the pains that have burned me and scared my soul
it was worth it.. for having been able to have walked
where ive walked.. which was hell on earth,, heaven on earth
back again, into, under, far in between, through it, in it and above.~!* GIA

AbbeyRoad said:
Totally agree. Gia was probably thinner when she was ill on drugs, and still modeled during those times. When she was undergoing methodone treatments, her weight went up a little bit, and during the last Cosmo cover she ever had, Franceso Scavullo remarked on her weight gain.
cover-04.jpg

credit: gia-carangi.com
However her beauty was the ruling factor in whether or not she could still continue to model while abusing drugs and showing up late to castings...many other models would've been dropped in a second by an agency if she behaved like that, but not Gia, they couldn't lose their investment in her.
I miss Gia and I doubt we will ever see a model like her in the near future.

where did he remark about this?

it was either in the E! True Hollywood story of Gia or the 'Shooting Star' documentary that aired on a newschannel a while back. I bought the tape of recordings off Ebay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
barakz12
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->