Givenchy Haute Couture F/W 2018.19 Paris

It looks so...standard couture, straight from a book. There are looks that gave me the impression I was looking at Armani Privé, instead of Givenchy.

It´s so devoid of any personality.

Some of the looks are so severe it borders on comical. it looks very forced, maybe she's out of her league here. the mens looks are bizarre and some of the women looks are completely out of balance. Even with some of these strong models are drowned in this.

I thought it was great! very elegant and truly is haute couture. Personally, later her couture will get better, but this is already nice to look at.

I like it! But i feel like i like it because i saw the video and in motion, the clothes looks better.
I think her clothes have a lot of personality but there's something in the presentation (the cast, the styling) that makes it a bit dry.
The 3 first white looks in post#3 were just amazing in motion but here it doesn't translate well.

I feel like her clothes are for a more mature woman and that's what i want to see on the catwalk. Those clothes on Mariacarla, Natasha Poly...etc. could be magical.

Her work is really interesting because there's this little 80's touch but not the obvious Montana, Mugler, Alaia thing but the other side of 80's french fashion. The color palette, that brown, those deep blue and burgundy are very 80's in a way.

I'm intrigued by her work, by the sharpness of her silhouette compared to what she did at Chloé.
I guess we can all agree that the fit issue for Meghan was due to a potential weight loss rather than a lack of fittings because here, almost everything is perfectly cut and fitted. There's some problems maybe in fabric choices and in terms of proportions with the kitten heels.

But this is 1000 times better than Dior. And there's some potential.

There really is something that’s missing here. It’s very cold, very hard, very severe. All of those things can work....but they have to be balanced with something, otherwise it can end up, as another member put it - looking like Armani Privé.

I thought her last couture collection was stronger and more appealing.

I have to admit, I thought the “Moon River” soundtrack was quite gorgeous and charming and, in a way, rather touching. I only wish the clothes could embody that spirit a bit more.

I loved it. Some truly beautiful dresses, the jewellery is just amazing.

So good.

There's too much embellishment, I feel - a lot of these looks seem to drown the models, literally, in the case of that one sack-like black ruffled belted dress. The colors seem a little all over the place, the transition from the closed jewel tones to the brighter ones at the end was a little jarring.

Most importantly, though, I can see the improvement here. I also liked the previous collection better, but this one seems to show a desire for improvement and aesthetic development, which I totally admire. The tailored looks are delicious, both women's and men's, and the simpler dresses also work.

Also, the Moon River soundtrack really was excellent, as an user already pointed out. Very beautiful, eerie, and almost emotional.

I feel like her clothes are for a more mature woman and that's what i want to see on the catwalk

I agree with this, and I think is why it's hugely appealing to me if (admittedly) a little dull. A certain elegance that is lacking in fashion right now is being carried on at Givenchy, and it makes me happy. I also appreciate that it's not strictly minimal by definition, I got bored of that bandwagon which everyone jumped on.

So is this great, no.
Much better than most houses at current, without a doubt.

Last edited by a moderator:
Clare clearly finding her stride and vision for Givenchy which I admire. It's almost there for me but it does come off slightly cold. It's not exactly there for me yet. Beautiful show and atmosphere nonetheless.

Guys. I really like this :lol:

Do agree with Lola though, really have to see the clothes in motion versus the still photos.

The menswear felt really unnecessary - so that can certainly be axed out IMO.

The menswear felt really unnecessary - so that can certainly be axed out IMO.

Those men’s looks could be great worn by women. Her cut for men is a bit indecisive. She is dressing skinny guys but the cut doesn’t seem to go well with those said skinny guys.

Her menswear is like Vaccarello’s. It is relevant as long as it is attached to a big name.

It looks so dated. People saying it looks like Armani Prive, for me it looks more like Ralph Rucci, Azzaro, etc...

I'm all for her designing with a mature woman in mind, but this just screams Upper East Side wife.

well well...

This is not perfect but damn...i wasn't moved by a bunch of clothes in days. There were a very few shows that really showed something attractive in my recent memory and this one belongs to them.

quite funny the fact that there were some people here saying things like: "oh, another boring woman taking the leadership at a legendary house -burton, chiuri, jarrar-. This time you better swallow your words guys. She's taking it seriously and it shows. Givenchy is getting better and better and I can see her being one of the highlights of every season in two or three years.

Fran Summers closing in that black gown. STUNNING.

I'm delighted to eat crow. I never thought Clare was right for this job, but I have to admit I was seriously wrong. This whole collection is fantastic.

Finally some real elegance back in Couture!! This was majestic, albeit some looks were too severe for my taste. I like how Clare is really carving her own identity, especially since her predecessors were such heavy-hitters! I feel, though, that she hasn't honed her look yet to a tee, but she'll get there.

I agree with everyone who mentioned this: the Moon River soundtrack was breathtaking and heartwrenching in a way, especially since this was one of the first (not sure if it's THE first) Givenchy shows after Hubert's passing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drue Price
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"