The ‘Fashion Documentaries’ Thread

I watched 5 minutes of the Dries documentary pretty much everyday until I somehow finished it. Could never handle all of it in one shot, and I was (still am?) a huge admirer of his work. And then I finished it and realised I didn't learn much (other than he has a real thing happening in India), it was very much "oh.. alright, well.. *closes window*"... I don't really consider how cute his dog is, his capacity for a long-term relationship or what he makes for dinner at his gigantic table quality learning*... a glimpse into their "world" is great, but maybe I've just never been that person that really wants to know that much about their mundane lives, I'm just in it for the work and if/when it's good only..

(*unless we're talking about the background story of a real life crime/mystery).

Hey Mullet, legend has it that one of his gardeners accidentally planted white roses instead of red ones, and Dries chopped off his finger when he found out

All in all, the Dries documentary was nice. It's always nice to hear him speak. You can clearly see that this is a man who's incredibly passionate about his work, and I think it shows in his clothes.

Maybe as my interests shift from less fashion-design and more interior-design, I wouldn't object to a documentary about his home. Where's that crowdsourcing page when I need one?

I was surprised that Dries's airedale terrier was so well behaved - I've heard those dogs can be obstinate.

^^
Me too and a Miuccia's or Rick documentary.
I'm interested to see the whole process of a collection. Only Loic Prigent can do it actually...

WE MARGIELA (no subs but a lot of english interviews).

Has anyone seen 'Four Seasons with Dior'? It's available on amazon prime in the US but not here in the UK and its about MGC's first couture show for Dior.

I've only just jumped on the Netflix bandwagon and my first port of call was to watch Franca: Chaos and Creation. Must admit that I wasn't absolutely hooked and began to loose focus halfway through but it was so beautifully done by Francesco Carrozzini. The mother and son relationship was both touching and relatable for me.

Franca's such a loss to the industry... :heart:

Anyone watched the 'Catwalk' documentary from 1995 which follows Christy Turlington around a bunch of New York, Milan and Paris fashion shows? It's probably known to everyone but it's well worth a watch to anyone who hasn't already.

I just happened to stumble across it on YouTube (sorry, still not sure how to embed YouTube videos here) and was thrilled I did. I was particularly mesmerized around thirty minutes into the documentary, when Christy was at a John Galliano show. He's such a genius!

^You mean this one?

Does anyone know where can I find "Le Jour D'Avant: Proenza Schouler"?

Anyone watched the 'Catwalk' documentary from 1995 which follows Christy Turlington around a bunch of New York, Milan and Paris fashion shows? It's probably known to everyone but it's well worth a watch to anyone who hasn't already.

I just happened to stumble across it on YouTube (sorry, still not sure how to embed YouTube videos here) and was thrilled I did. I was particularly mesmerized around thirty minutes into the documentary, when Christy was at a John Galliano show. He's such a genius!

I used to have that on VHS:lol:and must have watched it at least 20 times over the years.
Definitely a cult fave.

'Larger Than Life: The Kevyn Aucoin Story': Film Review

Tiffany Bartok's documentary recounts the life and career of the famed makeup artist.

Few people discover their passion and cultivate it so assiduously as the subject of Tiffany Bartok's documentary. From a very young age, Kevyn Aucoin realized he had a passion for making women look beautiful, which is not something that goes over very well in the Deep South in which he was born and raised. Nonetheless, he became a legendary makeup artist, reaching the peak of his profession before dying at the tragically young age of 40 in 2002. Larger Than Life: The Kevyn Aucoin Story recounts his life and career in a manner that should prove fascinating even to those who couldn't care less about the topic.

Aucoin grew up in Louisiana and first began practicing his craft on his younger sister. He was obsessed with divas — particularly Barbra Streisand, to whom his childhood bedroom was a virtual shrine — and, not surprisingly, was frequently bullied at school as a result.

Inspired by Way Bandy's book Designing Your Face, Aucoin eventually made his way to New York City, where he managed through sheer tenacity to land a job at Vogue. He quickly established himself as a dominant force in the beauty industry, using his facial contouring techniques on such supermodels of the era as Carol Alt, Paulina Porizkova, Cindy Crawford, Christy Turlington, Kate Moss, Linda Evangelista and Naomi Campbell. That these women were deeply appreciative of his talents is amply evident in their effusive testimonials in the documentary.

The supermodel era eventually waned, with celebrities frequently replacing them on magazine covers. Aucoin thus found himself working with such figures as Brooke Shields, who he made up to look like a man for one photo shoot; Liza Minnelli, who became a devoted companion; Cher, who reveals a genuine fondness for him in her interviews; Isabella Rossellini, Oprah Winfrey and even his idol, Streisand. Singer Tori Amos comments on the symbiosis between Aucoin and his clients: "There are two sides to this," she points out. "Some of us were addicted to him making us beautiful, and he was addicted to making us beautiful." Aucoin's celebrity hit such a point that he even played himself in a cameo on Sex and the City.

Thanks to the extensive candid footage and copious interviews with family members, colleagues and lovers, the film delivers a highly personal, warts-and-all portrait of its subject. Aucoin's career eventually suffered, both because of shifting trends and myriad health issues, including a long-undiagnosed pituitary tumor that resulted in an addiction to painkillers.

Aucoin was a compelling, charismatic and complex figure who's brought to such life in the documentary that his premature death feels as traumatic for the viewer as for those who knew him. In such moments as when he gleefully introduces himself to a woman perusing his recently published book at a store, you can easily see the excited boy who grew up to fulfill his biggest dreams.

Production companies: Matador Content, Vinyl Foote Productions
Distributor: The Orchard
Director: Tiffany Bartok
Producers: Jayce Bartok, Bronwyn Cosgrave, Troy Surratt
Executive producers: Todd Lubin, Jay Peterson, Jack Turner
Director of photography: Andres Karu
Editor: Ezra Paek
Composers: Scott Doherty, Will Golden

102 minutes
source | thr.com

available now on amazon & itunes

Users who are viewing this thread