Helmut Lang F/W 1996.97 Paris

Phuel

Reaction score
from firstview.com

helmut11.jpg helmut12.jpg helmut13.jpg helmut15.jpg helmut16.jpg helmut17.jpg helmut18.jpg helmut19.jpg helmut20.jpg helmut21.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember this! What a great collection, and the models suit it so well, for some reason. A lot of this collection I'd wear today (well, tomorrow, technically, since I am in my p.j.'s :P). The yellow looks great, the ultra soft knits, and those coats with red or black stripes part way down. Beautiful.

Amazing how relevant this stuff is today. You literally see it everywhere.

How was this collection influential exactly?

definitely a great idea this as a proper topic. i think this was the first that really catapulted HL on a different plain,particularly his popularity increasing in america.....it got a lot of nice press. and it certainly changed my life for sure.

Amazing how relevant this stuff is today. You literally see it everywhere.

How was this collection influential exactly?

i think you answered your own question!...
^_^

i always wanted one of those coats with the stripes...

it's sort of interesting how they remind me of Y-3 now...
although y-3 is always 3 stripes...and this was before Y-3 existed...

but the stripes are just very cool...
:P

I suppose the cut-outs were very influential, no? I'm not good with my fashion history. :P

The grey coat with the red stripes just stands out for me. It feels like a coat I could wear forever (obviously only when needed). The brand Helmut Lang is just not interesting any more. :(

i always wanted one of those coats with the stripes...

it's sort of interesting how they remind me of Y-3 now...
although y-3 is always 3 stripes...and this was before Y-3 existed...

but the stripes are just very cool...
:P

If I remember correctly, the stripes were hand-painted. There was an instant "vintage" and worn vibe to this collection without ever being kitschy or theatrical. I just fell for it instantly when I saw it in the stores: the jackets in shiny, thick army-green nylon, the immaculately-cut nylon button-downs with the small mod-collar, the fine-jersey wool t-shirts with the floral-print, and the suits in fine nylon. Such an amazing collection that still holds up so strongly after all these years.

Thanks softgrey for giving this its own thread! The pretenders can see how it's really done by the master.

^actually i think they were spray-painted with stencils.

lola,his slashes were definitely influential. in fact it was he and Ann Demeulemeester who sort of revolutionised that....it spawned a lot of imitations across the fashion plain but it all came back to those two.

the coat with the red stripes is khaki. but yes greyish one certainly. and a bit smoky too.

from the original helmutlang.com

mens look pickups from this show
Runner's scan

images from firstview

Attachments

• img146.jpg
    img146.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 45
  • img1462.jpg
    img1462.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 47
  • img1463.jpg
    img1463.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 41
  • img1464.jpg
    img1464.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 42
  • helmut4.jpg
    helmut4.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 28
  • helmut1.jpg
    helmut1.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 26
  • helmut2.jpg
    helmut2.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 28
  • helmut3.jpg
    helmut3.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 28
  • helmut5.jpg
    helmut5.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 28
  • helmut6.jpg
    helmut6.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 27
  • helmut7.jpg
    helmut7.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 26
  • helmut8.jpg
    helmut8.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 28
  • helmut9.jpg
    helmut9.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 27
  • helmut10.jpg
    helmut10.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 29
Last edited by a moderator:
there are many other images from this collection in the general helmut lang thread too, if anyone is interested.

from SS2004 backstage though

firstview

Attachments

• photo_mid_def_413009.jpg
    photo_mid_def_413009.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 48
^^^ That looks like A/W 95-96.

^^^ Thought you meant the pic is from the S/S 2004 collection? If not-- nevermind!

the pic is from the backstage of SS 2004.
maybe she, in the FW 1996 piece, was there to see him, not as a model for the SS 2004 show.

I posted the pic as an example of FW 1996 still worn years later in real life.

I was wondering if you had been thinking there was some possibility that the dress was from FW 1995.

another FW1996 example
my pics

Attachments

• lang1996.PNG
    lang1996.PNG
    322.5 KB · Views: 41
^^^ Yes— of course she was wearing '96 Helmut in 2004! Stupid me did not even bother to think that's what the pic was of when that's something I do myself: mix and match different Helmuts from various years along with other designers LOL

My first Helmuts came from this collection; I had 3 pieces and I was 15. Still wear the remaining 2 to this day.

There are some videos on Youtube of his full shows (not the best resolution, but still better than nothing) But this one… still no luck. Everything about this show, remains so impossibly relevant to this day. Even more so with the lack of vision and talent in 2017.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alcatrazadam
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->