Hermès Tibet bag

tott

slightly dizzy
Reaction score
I was at the Hermès store and the SA showed me one of their new bags. A small uni-sex shoulder bag. Maybe 20 cm wide, 25 cm high, 7 cm deep. (?8 x 10 x 3"). Very, very basic design in gorgeous leather (as usual) and with what seemed like a horse-hair strap. I tried to find a pic but failed...

Anyway, the price? 2 640 €. I'm not easily shocked, but really?! It's a simple, tiny bag. It's fantastic quality, but there is simply no justification for a price that high, even though Hermès is a "prestige" brand.

It's not like this is a classic like a Kelly or a Birkin, after all. And I doubt it will be.

Welcome back, tott! I feel like I haven't seen your posts in ages.

As for the Tibet... sounds totally out of control. Don't expect these ridiculous pricings to stop anytime soon. The labels have realized that the more astromically insane their prices are, the more they sell! Go figure. :wacko:

Thanks for the welcome, metal! I haven't posted in ages, I've been extremely busy working around the clock for months.

Out of control seems like it...

Was there really NOTHING that could have waranted the price? No special harware? Could it have been some kind of obscure skin? Because I know that the plain leather messengers like the Evelyn and Vespa retail for under $2000USD, and I think it would be kind of eratic to charge so much more for something that sounds rather similar.

As far as the whole classic thing, Hermes does not do seasonal bags, very rarely some are discontinued, but for the most part they keep to the same basic collection. So while it may not have the same noteriety as the Birkin or Kelly, it sounds to me from your description, that it is in fact rather classic.

I was in Hermes this past weekend, and they told me that they had been holding off from raising their prices, but with the euro being as strong as it is, they finally raised prices a few weeks ago. Because they were holding off for so long (as opposed to Louis Vuitton who raises prices what seems like every few months), the price hike was significant. Maybe that's why the Tibet was so pricey.

dgie said:
I was in Hermes this past weekend, and they told me that they had been holding off from raising their prices, but with the euro being as strong as it is, they finally raised prices a few weeks ago. Because they were holding off for so long (as opposed to Louis Vuitton who raises prices what seems like every few months), the price hike was significant. Maybe that's why the Tibet was so pricey.

Hate to break it to you - but they just raised their prices again (i.e. within the last two months). I guess the euro is REALLY strong!

is it this one? (right photo) i really like this bag, but can't seem to justify the price either. i'd still stick to Louis Vuitton. anyway, i've got the Taiga Viktor (left photo) which looks very similar imo.

Attachments

• HermesTibet2.jpeg
    HermesTibet2.jpeg
    8.3 KB · Views: 3
  • Viktor.jpg
    Viktor.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 1

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member