How Can I Get Paid For This?

ProfessorWB

Reaction score
I LOVE fashion- clothes, catwalks, magazines, movie costume design, all of it. My passion is fashion, but my current boring, 9-5 desk job isn't where my heart is. I would LOVE to work in this industry. The problem is that I don't know anything about it.

What jobs can you have if you love fashion? And how do you get started? Anyone out there work in the biz? What did you do? (schooling, jobs, start your own business, etc.)? I have no idea, would love to hear what other people are trying/tried/have heard of.

Any fashionistas have any tips/advice/good ideas how to break out of the boring web job and into my true calling?

i would try to find an intership at either a fashion magazine, house, or...yes something like that.

good luck

there are other threads about this...try doing a search for more info... :flower:

do you design?? :flower:

i'd say you shoudl look out for an internship with some fashion mag...or some house like loerunit just said!
even if it's just delivering clothes......it'll give you the feel ad help you make contacts...

i'd love to do something too...finlly,..but im afraid tere aren much internship opportunities where i live.
i'll just have to wait till i make some money somehow and start my own line...
i have teh contacts, i know the right people...i just need money to get started....and its sad that my parents wont help out in that matter...
oh well...i haent told them exactly eitehr...so its all my fault :(

but you'll find a lot of help in here....so just stick around and make use of all teh info you get i here...its all worth it!!!! :flower: :woot: :flower:

Thanks saad!

I did do a ton of searches, but haven't found what I'm looking for. Then again, I have no idea what I'm looking for, so that doesn't help. :smile:

Maybe start looking into design schools. I would also work on building up your portfolio. :flower:

welcome to tFS ProfessorWB :flower:

first of all you need to focus..
there are too many ways to professionaly approach fashion
you can either start studying
(design, fashion history, marketing, photography)
or start working from scratch.

assisting stylist or hair & make up artist,
models scout or booker assistant,
fashion photography or wardrobe assistant (tv - movies)
even working in a boring fashion boutique and crawl to a manager
or -even better- a buyer position, are some reasonable starting points
in case you dont have time for degrees.
(one eventually will need some kind of basic fashion history knowledge at some point..that goes for all fashion related jobs)

:( start up assistant stylists work for free at least for their first 3 months

my sister is working on a BBA [?] in Design & Management at Parsons. Basically fashion marketing, what kind of career do you guys think she could have, like what type of jobs, what should she do, where should she start?

she's a junior, but she's not sure where to go after college, only knows that she want desperately to do something in fashion, most likely the business aspect of it.

thanks. :flower:

Most people I know from FMM became buyers.

Originally posted by marc jacobs addict@Mar 14th, 2004 - 5:32 pm
my sister is working on a BBA [?] in Design & Management at Parsons. Basically fashion marketing, what kind of career do you guys think she could have, like what type of jobs, what should she do, where should she start?

she's a junior, but she's not sure where to go after college, only knows that she want desperately to do something in fashion, most likely the business aspect of it.

thanks. :flower:
literally and quite frankly:

anything related to fashion. form BUYER, to PR COORDINATOR, VISUAL MERCHANDISER, FASHION JOURNALIST, etc etc.
i did fashion marketing and its true that everyone says buyer is the most appropriate but it really depends on what she likes most :wink:

Originally posted by marc jacobs addict+Mar 14th, 2004 - 7:48 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(marc jacobs addict @ Mar 14th, 2004 - 7:48 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-luna@Mar 14th, 2004 - 12:23 pm
Most people I know from FMM became buyers.

sorry if this is stupid, but what do buyers do? :huh: [/b][/quote]
they are in charge of selecting the right clothes of specific collections for a fashion house and have to have very good money management skills in order not to exceed the budget... and they need a good sense of what sells :wink:

my favourite buyers are MRS B (joan burstein) and YEDA YUN from Browns and Browns Focus. they get it right each time B)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
haleyabhdisjsbw209
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->