How old is too old for Trends?

aspen

Reaction score
I'm a 35 yr old female. I love all the stuff on websites like Revolveclothing. I recently bought a Grail tee, Ed Hardy tee, Da Nang pants. Thinking of getting some Antik jeans, Sweetees tops.

I prefer shopping in the Juniors section of department stores. I kind of feel awkward when I'm there and there are 16 yr olds around me.

My question is....How old is to old to be wearing stuff like that? I don't want to seem like an older woman trying to be a teenager (you know those type of women) but I just like the new trends.

it's not what you wear, it's the way that you wear it :wink:

i'm sure you are mixing trends up in your own way, makes all the difference..
having said that i dont think there is age barrier on trends, actually most buyers/stores are actually creating certain trends with the 30-40+ clients in mind

welcome to tFS aspen :flower:

Totally agree with Lena... It's all about how you wear it.... I mean, take for example skinny jeans..... they do work for anyone, but cut/colors and the top you pair it with makes all the difference..... :flower:

I'm 32 and tend to shop in the juniors section too. I used to feel very self-conscious about it until the other day, my son said that he likes that his mom dresses "so cool." B) Now I love the fact that I dress younger than I am! In other words... I agree with Lena and Kimkhuu. :flower:

My eighty year old grandma tends to dress more provacotively than me and I'm fifteen. :lol:

You're never too old for trends! I feel bad for the older people who dress unfashionably.

I think as long as the outfit is still tasteful, it works. I mean, I wouldn't wear all the items you listed at once, but if you wore each one of these more trendy pieces seperately, paired with more basic stuff, it'd work nicely.

I think the idea of age as a way of acting and existing is stupid and out dated. It's more important to dress for your self and your taste. I wouldn't advocate 70 year olds wearing skimpy dresses becuase it dosn't really fit their body , but I think that 'young' dressing is no longer only for young people.

agreed spacemiu.
my motha inlaw would dress way more provocatively than I== and though that freaks me out, I also commend her for having the confidence in wearing those clothes from rampage while I spend my money in stores like Ann Taylor :rofl: wayyyy opposites we are thats for sure!

aspen said:
I'm a 35 yr old female. I love all the stuff on websites like Revolveclothing. I recently bought a Grail tee, Ed Hardy tee, Da Nang pants. Thinking of getting some Antik jeans, Sweetees tops.

I prefer shopping in the Juniors section of department stores. I kind of feel awkward when I'm there and there are 16 yr olds around me.

My question is....How old is to old to be wearing stuff like that? I don't want to seem like an older woman trying to be a teenager (you know those type of women) but I just like the new trends.

I wouldn't worry. If you feel good and look good, it's all good. :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
I am 36, and follow the trends -- or at least, the new styles -- as well, and I have to say, I think any given trend is going to come off quite differently on a 30+ yr old than the same thing will on a teenager.

Life experience, personal style, individual point-of-view and personal quirks and ideas of beauty all develop with age & combine to make one person look different from another in the same shirt, skirt, or what-have-you.

I think it's the rare person with no sense of self that comes off as "mutton dressed as lamb."

I think it's all about confidence...if you are confident or exude confidence, then you can pull any look off. For me personally, I believe if I have worn it a few decades ago, then I wouldn't wear the trend now. For instance, I grew up in the eighties, and you won't see with those rubber braclets or neon ankle socks ever again.

Age is just a number....don't let it limit your style.

If you like a certain trend, you look good in it...why not go for it? You dress the way you feel, not what you think you "should" be. :flower:

My mom is 48 and we shop in the same places and often want the same things in the shop! :P It's all in how she wears it tastefully. Even though she is petite and still has a body to be proud of, it doesn't mean she should flaunt it off in a teeny tiny top yet not be scared to show some skin. She knows what works to compliment the body she has and uses her common sense. We see this one mom looking like a total hooker picking up their kid from school (last time she was in a hankerchief top and a mini MINI skirt with her thong showing:yuk: )....now that looks less like following a trend and more like having a mid life crisis trailer trash stripper style. :rolleyes: Honestly, you have to try pretty hard to be like that horrid woman and get made fun of.

Later on maybe I can convince my mom to let me dress her up in trends going on right now and post pics. :woot:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rare
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->