Hussein Chalayan f/w 2000, london

travolta

Reaction score
LONDON, February 16, 2000 – Hussein Chalayan set his stage up like a sitting room. Very spare, it consisted of four chairs, a table, a flat screen television, several vases and pots, and lots and lots of white space. What has all this to do with clothes? In Chalayan's world, everything. Chalayan's models appeared dressed in seemingly simple clothes like a black coat, or tan trench, and then secreted away the household objects inside the coats or in outer pockets. Like millennial (and amazingly chic) nomads, they wandered the stage in stiff black dresses inspired by Christian Dior, ruffled skirts, shirts with strange volumes, all of it perfectly proportioned, very new and outrageously modern.

Chalayan's finale was quite astonishing. Four models clad in chic grey shift-dresses approached the set of chairs, removed the covers and literally put them on. The chair covers became perfect versions of the shifts they were already wearing. The last model stepped inside the table, lifted it up, and it transformed into a wooden skirt (the real fashion-insider will remember Chalayan's graduation show included a wooden skirt too). Finally the chairs folded into suitcases, which were carried off the stage, the television screen disappeared, and we were left looking at an empty room. If it sounds like a magic; that's because it was.

from style.com

100002365.jpg
100002366.jpg
100002367.jpg
100002368.jpg

100002370.jpg
100002371.jpg
100002373.jpg
100002375.jpg

100002414.jpg
100002415.jpg
100002416.jpg
100002418.jpg

100002419.jpg
100002420.jpg
100002421.jpg
.... I omitted some pieces.

Last edited by a moderator:
nice! I had never seen this before. Thanks travolta.

hey, your welcome :flower: i'm going to try to find some articles

ah, thanks for posting jennifer. i read this article before...i remember when that collection
s/s 2001 came out i liked the staging, styling, but i wasn't too sure of the clothing..and then the finale. initially i liked his arty concepts, but i never loved his collections when they first came out...but now i've changed my mind.

That was an amazing one for sure. If only the hype around that table-skirt didn't overshadow though,because those clothes were beautiful.

thanks for posting this collection travolta...
truly a fashion 'moment'...:heart:

great pics. One of the few collections (if not the only one) which made my jaw drop! :clap:

Scott said:
That was an amazing one for sure. If only the hype around that table-skirt didn't overshadow though,because those clothes were beautiful.

I agree - i had always paid little attention to this because I thought the table was just a bit silly (and gimmicky) but the rest of it is beautiful. I suppose with the table he was just having a laugh but it backfired if people just laughed at it & didn't look at the rest of the clothes.

:heart: wonderful.

maybe the table did overshadow the clothes but i still liked this as a whole, including the table. i love chalayan for these kind of things, too.
there was a wonderful statement about chalayan made by droogist in another thread :heart:...i'm just too tired to write in english today^_^

aaaw anna but its good to hear what you say!

Oh, thank you anna karina, I'm very flattered :flower: Do you mean the blurb I wrote in the S/S 2004 thread? (Don't worry, I won't stoop to quoting myself :ninja:)

As for this collection, I don't think I'll say much, because it would be all deranged fanatical babble like "blah blah blah genious blah blah best collection ever blah blah Chalayan=god blah" and no one really needs to hear that. :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPepic
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->