I hate to start a another thread like this but I need help

baRose

Reaction score
[font=&quot]with fashion in general. I would like more style but I just cant seem to find it. I know what colors I like and that works with me in general, but with the clothing itself, everything is either ill-fitting or just don’t work with my shape, age or profession.

[/font]Some info

26 years old
Brown skin, dark curly hair, dark brown eyes
5'6"/33" inseam/size 10 shoe
hourglass figure
38D bust
semi-professional/support staff (work in an office)
attend classical music concerts and operas
San Francisco Bay Area, but I rarely get cold

Can anyone help? :cry:

I was thinking about a perhaps an A-line or bell shaped skirt that would balance you out, a pencil skirt would make you look really disproportionate (like an upside down triangle). Definately a nice blazer with a single button under the bust which would accent your tiny waist, a couple of pockets low on either side that would balence your bust out. In terms of trouser cut a nice straight or wide leg would be gorgeous on your very long inseam. No seaming or anything horizontal between the natural waist and middle thigh, that makes even Kate Moss look chubby. Basically, your belts have to either be high or normal waisted. No tops that are esp revealing, a square neck is really flattering on everyone.

Color wise...If Im picturing your skin tone right Im thinking about deep purple, bright reds, teals, chocolate (not in big pieces, it'll make you look nude), golds, and of course black.

You said something about very formal and high society events, perhaps a lovely deep purple a-line dress, with NO SEAMING (ABSOLUTELY NOT) and please give the girls some support (so many large breasted women free-boob). Or perhaps a black pencil halter dress with a fur caplet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great advice I will copy and paste :smile: But one question, what is "seaming"? I should know this because I sew. :blush:

Well, I'm a bit shorter than you are and my waist is not everything it used to be, :wink: but I am also 38D. I find that I don't have too much trouble finding clothes that fit as long as I don't try for the nearly-impossible, such as a shirt that buttons down the front :P

I wear separates, I wear a lot of layered knit tops, and my motto is "Everything goes better with Lycra."

Probably what you need in terms of fit is just a combination of patience and knowing where to look. I am guessing since you feel like you haven't found what works for you that you may not be a very patient shopper. If that's the case, a) go shopping on a day when you're feeling mellow and b) have a chat with yourself about the importance of patience and persistence before you go :D

As far as where to look, I would suggest that you keep an eye out for women with figures like yours, and when you like what they're wearing, ask about the label. I have pretty good luck finding tops at MaxStudio, btw.

As far as style ... I would go to a big bookstore, buy a stack of fashion magazines and a scrapbook, and put the stuff you like in it. Then go thru and analyze what your picks are telling you. Pick a style theme and one or two potential color schemes, and go shopping.

Yes, seperates and knits is something that I dont have much of a choice over. I have very few dresses that actually look good on me. I need to check out a MaxStudio.

What about jackets? I got stuck in the blazer phase and though I love them, I need something else as a cover up as well, since I am not really into coats.

baRose said:
Yes, seperates and knits is something that I dont have much of a choice over. I have very few dresses that actually look good on me. I need to check out a MaxStudio.

What about jackets? I got stuck in the blazer phase and though I love them, I need something else as a cover up as well, since I am not really into coats.

Yeah, I don't usually bother with dresses ... I have a few, but I think they're not as interesting as separates anyway.

As far as coverups, I live in a warm climate and am warm-natured too, so I wear a lot of light cardigans. Some are short, hitting a few inches below my waistline. I have a longer black silk flyaway cardigan. While it's generally true that shorter is more flattering, I find that flyaways work well for me. Had a similar style in a raw silk 3/4 sleeve shirt that I bought a couple sizes too big and wore as a jacket. Labels here--Barry Bricken and Ralph Lauren. These are not easy to find, but worth it when you do.

Btw, in case you don't know "flyaway" ... it has tails but instead of being rounded in the back the bottom is even and there are slits at the sides and in the front so there's movement as you walk.

Something else I do sometimes is wear a vest and zip or button to below the bustline.

HTH :smile:

I love cardigans, but it is hard to find a short, fitted one. I had one from Barney's NY that I got from a boutique discount store years ago, but its pretty much dead. One, I got from Ross (forgot the name) for $7.99, that lasted years and one I got more recently from the Gap, but its on its way out the door already. :cry:

I would like to find some in various colors (especially black) that will last. I will check out Barry Bricken and Ralph Lauren. Do you know of any other brands?

Thanks!!!

:heart:

I have an ivory one from ... MaxStudio. It's really beautiful. I think they had it in black and a pinky purply color. Check them out ... they have a website too but as I recall it's kind of annoying. As I think about it I'm wondering why I didn't buy it in more colors ... I did buy an extra black shell there that I haven't worn yet but probably will for fall.

I have one (3/4 black swing shape short cardigan) from Banana Republic, but I'm not wild about the quality. Few years since I bought it.

I also had one from Anne Klein that was lacy black silk openwork, really beautiful. Wore it out and haven't found another.

These things are so hard to replace ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RobAllen4599
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->