Is bad quality OK...?

Melisande said:
We also should be asking what do we mean by quality?

A beaded silk-crepe dress by Zara would not last as long as one by Galliano, which would not last as long as a tailored wool suit by the same designer at the same price. Does that mean that the suit has the best value-for-money?
Would this mean that sturdy utilitarian clothing--cowboy boots, fishermen's clothing, military gear, etc.-- the best for the buck?
Or does design play a big role in what we call quality?

If you ONLY count longevity and sturdiness, the wool suit would obviously give the best value for your money. But it's a bit silly to compare such different items. Clothes have different uses and people expect different things from them. If you want a meaningful comparison you have to compare similar items to each other.

When I posted this question, it was from a practical, technical view. The quality of materials and workmanship can be objectively judged.

Quality of design is much more subjective and elusive... I'm not so sure design really is a part of "quality", strictly speaking. Design is (of course) extremely important, but something you find ugly can still be a skillfully made quality item of the finest material.

Curious said:
:flower:

I agree, Tott. I in no way succomb to the idea that expensive equals high quality and inexpensive equals low. It's about being a smart shopper just as you said and getting the most value for your dollar as has been mentioned several times...

:D

Well said Curious!:flower:

Curious said:
Good point & great topic!! Nice responses and discussion by everyone :flower:

I agree, Tott. I in no way succomb to the idea that expensive equals high quality and inexpensive equals low. It's about being a smart shopper just as you said and getting the most value for your dollar as has been mentioned several times...

So, the short answer to the original question in my book is NO :D

You said it! I fully agree with you both - thats also why it´s so much fun to shop - to be able to pick out the nice quality-items without necessarily spending the big $ :wink:

tott said:
To a certain level, yes. But if you wash a shirt or sweater properly and it gets twisted and destroyed in the first laundry? If seams come apart?

Qualities of leather/fabric/finishes is another topic, sort of.

I think the standards of quality are sinking constantly...

And yes, you can find great stuff at places like H&M. I'm just thinking the tolerance for bad quality, or workmanship/technique, seems to be very high.

I agree with this, cheap fashion and now, even some mid-end designer labels are going the overseas factory route. The clothing is sewn in a "rushed" way in countries where alot of these workers are only making $0.25 to $0.50 a hour (and thats on the high end). Seams are not reinforced or don't line up properly, stitching is crooked, loose thread hanging everywhere, lining sewn incorrectly, gaping and misaligned in complicated designs, fabric pattern don't line up, etc - but what do you expect when overseas workers are being worked for 12 hours a day. If I'd been sewing non-stop for 10 or 11 hours, hell my work would be shotty too.

Many of these retailers like H&M, Zara, etc. at times are no better than the Wal-Marts of the world. Look in the labels all you see is -- made in India, made in China, made in Korea, etc

With sweatshop labor violations from U.S. and European companies happening on an on-going basis. What do you really expect the clothes to look like based on what you are paying and the methods that are used to push these clothes out to the public at large.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ozilya
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->