J. Crew

Meg

inspired contemplation
Reaction score
I know J.Crew has a thread combined with other higher-end chain stores, but I think it's time the store got it's own thread. It's definitely one of my favorite places to shop, and I think their creative director Jenna Lyons is amazing. She has done a great job re-vitalizing the brand and hiring stylists and sourcing fabrics. That's one of my favorite things - they give a lot of providence of where they have sourced certain fabrics and they also feature special items from classic brands such as the Timex military watch, Sperry topsiders, and Selima. Anyway, we have a thread on their lookbook but they have some great things out right now so I figured we could start our own thread. Some of my favorite items from this spring. all pictures jcrew.com
erez

erez

Not my favorite style but I think the detailing is interesting:
erez

You can't get this skirt anymore (it sold out quite quickly), but it's so gorgeous I had to post. It looks liquid.
erez

erez

And I love this liberty print bikini
erez

They have a variety of sizing (from petite to tall, size 5 women's shoes to extended calf and size 12) though I think their shoes and some things can be overpriced. When I get a chance, I will scan some photos in from their catalogue because the styling is beautiful.

i used to be really into J.crew when I was in college but i still appreciate the style now..its getting so much press now because Michelle Obama shops there a lot...

J Crew has always had great basics and most of their garments are of quality, I hadn't shopped there for a while until recently. I love their new look/style, it looks very fashion forward to me. Everything looks super expensive but is pretty reasonable, even though it seems like their prices have gone up, you might buy an embellished cardigan for $98 but it could easily pass for a $400 one.

I LOVE the catalogue, the styling is really great. The two pairs of shoes I wore on my wedding day came from J Crew.

Good moment for this thread.

My interest in J. Crew has recently revived, mostly because I perceive a value in their goods. Also, students and teachers having a standing 15% discount. You just have to show your idea or email them from your school address.

Their pants fit me especially well. But I'm not too fond of their frilly silk tops they keep making as workwear. Seems so retro, and not in a good way.

Every season they make something cute and covetable that sells out immediately. I still remember a chambray top from a few years ago that I should have gone ahead and bought at full price.

Just noticed this blog on j.crew : jcrewaholics.com

It annoys me that j.crew haven't gotten around to having international shipping.. well they do.. if you are in Japan.. but other than that.. :ermm:

Why not everywhere??

Forever21, Topshop, H&M, Victoria Secret etc are 'almost' everywhere now..

Love this top:

elseachealsea.typepad com j crew.jpg
elseachealsea.typepad.com

I didn't know about this student discount?! Why did no one tell me! Probably because I shop mostly online. The good thing is that almost all their free shipping applies to Canada. The bad thing - as Hanne said, is they still don't ship internationally, which will annoy me when I move back to the UK. I really like the frilly tops :lol: I like to layer them under blazers because they do them in a lot of vivid colors.

there is another good blog, jcrew aficionada.

^ yes, i like that blog a bit more than the other one. they post discount codes on that one, and that's how i found out about the student discount.

I worked at J.crew for a long time, great company to work for and amazing discounts. Even though it's much preppier than my style, I love the clothes and got some great pieces when I was working there.

^ Yes. This is the email they sent me in reply to how to apply the discount to any online order.

J.Crew will gladly honor the student/teacher discount on any qualifying order.
In order to receive the teacher discount for online orders, place your
order as normal online. Then, email us from your valid school email
address at [email protected] with your order confirmation number. We
will then apply the 15% discount as a credit to your credit card.

Please note, the discount may not be combined with most discounts or
promotions. If you have a promotion in mind that you would like to
combine the student discount with, please contact us and we will be able
to let you know if the discounts may be combined.

I think if you're in the store, you just show your student/faculty ID, or they might be able to look you up by email.

wow that's awesome! I've got about $400 worth of stuff sitting in my cart but I was waiting for a promo to come up. I will email and see if they accept Canadian student ID...

i used that 15% student discount to death that was the only reason i shopped there, especially during their fall collection which was amazing for great work pieces. their spring/summer collection is very boring and blah, i hope they get back into the groove for fall, but i graduated so i wont be able to used my discount anymore i don't think.

^ Yes. This is the email they sent me in reply to how to apply the discount to any online order.

I think if you're in the store, you just show your student/faculty ID, or they might be able to look you up by email.

yea, just show them your student id and you'll be fine

yeah I emailed them about it, it's not combinable with free shipping or things that apply to whole orders, but I think if you have a discount that applies to a single item, you can stack them. And it is applicable to CDN students as well! hurrah!

I LOVE J.Crew catalogues and the styling (especially the color combinations).:heart: But many of their clothes actually don't look so good IRL and the quality has been kinda deteriorating. I have a love and hate relationship with J.Crew suits. They fit me like a glove, but the stitches and seams are unsightly over-lapping and loose and the buttons even have scratches. J.Crew used to make their suits in Japan, now in China.

I hate when they send out in-store only coupons, which are kinda useless to me. :doh: Hope Madewell set up an on-line shop soon.

I too love J Crew - I have 2 outlets nearby along with a regular store so I frequent it quite a bit. The boy fit tees are some of the most comfy t shirts I own. I also love the bold jewelry that can make a classic peice look more edgy. I have the bauble necklace in the pic that Hanne posted but in black.

Loveletter - I agree with you on the styling -they do a great job there.

They have some great color choices for a assortment of a tee's - earthy and romantic soft tones I've find difficult to find against all the grays and off whites you see in casual tops.

And the styling is always tastefully done, it's making me want to purchase their silk blouse and cargo jacket :P

2zel81s.png
2jga1w3.png

jcrew.com

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree. I didn't even glance at that jacket until I saw it styled. Jenna has done a great job setting up a strong styling team. I think the quality of the stuff depends. Some of their stuff, like you said is made in china, other times they get beautiful fabrics and things from Italy, France, etc. It's interesting because on some of their expensive dresses/jackets/tops they mention it's from a couture-house mill and I wonder whether they are being liberal with the use of that term or you really are getting things from high-end Italian mills, couture fabric suppliers at a fraction of the price...

Some of my friends joke that J.Crew probably uses left over fabric from famous Italian mills because some of their cashmere and other wool sweaters pills easily and terribly, even after only one-day wear. :P I have to admit J.Crew models and the catalogues always make me want to spend more...looking at the items alone doesn't. I have a store nearby but the in-store selection is very limited.

I have been shopping for a short skirt...J.Crew has one that looks similar to Vanessa Bruno's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peytontung
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->