+J returns for FW 2021

They've updated the landing page for the US release here

The release date is November 11th. It will be at 2 stores in NYC.

When she says "When we close a chapter..." does she mean this is her last collection for Uniqlo? I still regret not having bought things from her previous two collections and before this one was announced (quite late, I have to say) I was panicking that that was it.
Knowing her erratic work pattern, I think many die-hard fans - like me -will stock up on this.

When she says "When we close a chapter..." does she mean this is her last collection for Uniqlo? I still regret not having bought things from her previous two collections and before this one was announced (quite late, I have to say) I was panicking that that was it.
Knowing her erratic work pattern, I think many die-hard fans - like me -will stock up on this.

People are guessing what she meant by this actually - closing the year? closing the Covid chapter? closing the collab? Uniqlo has yet to clarify if she meant this is the last +J collection (well, for now - she might return, who knows at this point?)

I didn't buy anything from the first one either, but bought some stuff from the SS21 one. One as of those die-hard fans as well, I'll be in the same line as you stocking up.

But why is the menswear so boring? The women's collection is so chic and elegant, and most men's stuff looks like it could be my grandfather's.

but dude, you can buy the women's collection, non? I find lots of them are pretty genderless. size might be a probably tho

edit: okay sorry if you are specifically talking about the new collection, yes, the men's line is not offering much things when women's looks very well-prepared. especially those coats.

maybe still can be well presented by man? let's see.

I dont buy Uniqlo but I respect them for letting Jil Sander do what she does so well. This short clip alone, from design to casting, is perfect testimony to her sublimal clothes over the decades that the people at OAMC, or any other copycats for that matter, cant do at her namesake brand sadly.

But why is the menswear so boring?

I'm always quite puzzled at such remarks when people judge Jil's work for Uniqlo. Creating "exciting" (whatever that may mean) clothes is really not the point, that is what H&M are after with their designer collabs.
Creating an elevated version of a contemporary basic, functional wardrobe is rather her mission, using high quality fabrics and interesting details that are unusual to find in a mass-market chains like Uniqlo. Someday, someone will give her credit for really upping up the game in the realm of mass-produced fine clothes like never before and, along the way, putting to shame most contemporary-market segment (or higher) labels who churn out insignificant, over-designed stuff for half the quality and ten times the prize.
In these crazy, confused times of buzz over substance fashion, her voice and no-bullsh*t stance are needed like a breath of fresh air.

^^^ Rather not fair to conclude that any criticism of this being “boring” immediately means demands for “exciting”— or flashy designs. Jil’s designs have never been either of those things of course, but they were always quietly dramatic, with a very subtle flair. And although the +J menswear needs to be restrained for its market and pricepoint, it still lacks all these characteristics in general. And unfortunately, the one trend that I despise above all others that this line seem to consistently offer, is the “oversized” trend.

The menswear offering has been constantly disappointing. I haven’t been the least tempted to go for anything— even when they were hugely discounted with wide availability. It’s generically conservative overall. And the color palette is just the blandest. I suppose the basic designs was/is the point to a certain degree since their targeted demographic are likely a consumer just starting to build a minimalist wardrobe. Still, seeing the efforts made for the women’s offering, the men’s always feel like a throwaway afterthought. (…With the current offering, the cardigan with the grosgrain trim is promising enough— although I still wear the one I got from Lucas’ Lanvin 15 years ago… And why can’t the sole peacoat offer an above-the-knee version with a more generous lapel, instead of the generic version that, yes— even H&M carries in spades. And my god— I can’t stand puffers, no matter who designs it. And there were so many…Talk about a tired staple.)

^^^ Rather not fair to conclude that any criticism of this being “boring” immediately means demands for “exciting”— or flashy designs. Jil’s designs have never been either of those things of course, but they were always quietly dramatic, with a very subtle flair. And although the +J menswear needs to be restrained for its market and pricepoint, it still lacks all these characteristics in general. And unfortunately, the one trend that I despise above all others that this line seem to consistently offer, is the “oversized” trend.

The menswear offering has been constantly disappointing. I haven’t been the least tempted to go for anything— even when they were hugely discounted with wide availability. It’s generically conservative overall. And the color palette is just the blandest. I suppose the basic designs was/is the point to a certain degree since their targeted demographic are likely a consumer just starting to build a minimalist wardrobe. Still, seeing the efforts made for the women’s offering, the men’s always feel like a throwaway afterthought. (…With the current offering, the cardigan with the grosgrain trim is promising enough— although I still wear the one I got from Lucas’ Lanvin 15 years ago… And why can’t the sole peacoat offer an above-the-knee version with a more generous lapel, instead of the generic version that, yes— even H&M carries in spades. And my god— I can’t stand puffers, no matter who designs it. And there were so many…Talk about a tired staple.)

I couldn't agree with this sentiment more. If I look back at the cut from both my +J pieces from wayyy back as well as the Lemaire-designed clothes from the past years, I can tell the clothes have become bigger and bigger with each season. That doesn't necessarily have to be a bad thing, but overall as a collection, this can lead to a very bulky look. The pieces in all those lines don't necessarily coordinate well. I would have much prefered if a more fitted piece in each category was added to the mix, not only at +J but also Uniqlo U, but I'm afraid this is part of Uniqlo's demands that all their collabs reflect a certain framework of products and a fashion image rooted in how young kids in the Far East like to dress (which seems generally much more oversized than in Europe).

I happen to disagree, at least partially.
Whereas it's true that the "oversized" sticker is slapped rather ubiquitously across both the U and +J product descriptions, I would also argue that it is inevitable that fashion's biggest trend over the last decade reflects on the ranges.
Apart from that, and regardless of said trend, which I believe Mrs Sander hardly takes into account, it seems to me that her style had evolved from her signature 90's strictness and had already moved towards more relaxed shapes during her last tenure at her brand, and this was way before Vetements got into the limelight. It is interesting that she has managed to do so while maintaining a very high standard in tailoring and detail definition (as per her usual), never falling into the goofy effect that Demna so studiously seeks for. Same applies for Lemaire's own label, which has never been a place for shrunk silhouettes.
That said, I understand that her work might not be everybody's cup of tea.
If I really have to find something to say about her last Uniqlo collab, is that the price points skyrocketed, in ways that I don't think the average Uniqlo customer will accept, at least in the West, and even more seasoned customers like me will wait for the prices to be reduced.

Le voilà

EXCLUSIVE: Jil Sander and Tadashi Yanai Reflect on +J Collaboration

TOKYO —
More than a decade after first launching their collaboration, Uniqlo and Jil Sander’s popular +J line closes out its second chapter with the release of the latest fall offering, which hit stores in the U.S. Thursday and launches in other markets Friday.

In exclusive email interviews in WWD, the German designer and Tadashi Yanai, chairman, president and chief executive officer of Uniqlo’s parent company Fast Retailing, reflected on their experiences of working together.

“I think of +J as taking Ms. Sander’s vision and expertise in high fashion and democratizing it through our commitment to quality and through our manufacturing capabilities,” Yanai said. “Uniqlo is very proud of being able to present the essential qualities of Ms. Sander’s designs to all types of customers around the world. We will never forget the dedication Ms. Sander has brought to making apparel and plan to use it to cultivate further growth.”
Sander also had positive things to say about her work with the Japanese retailer.

“It made me very happy to reach so many customers in all parts of the world and to achieve the +J mission of providing a modern global uniform, offering value, smart understatement and carefully forged contemporary silhouettes,” she said. “The Uniqlo team became even more professional over the years, from the beginning; it was extremely attentive and helpful in devising new ways of doing things. I feel a strong affinity to the Japanese culture and work ethics, to the love of quality and precision, the readiness to respond to demanding ideas, the urge to innovate and the willingness to experiment and start from zero, if needed.”
The +J collection initially launched for the fall 2009 season at select Uniqlo stores worldwide. But Sander pointed out that, at the time, it was a very different company to what it has now become.

“Uniqlo grew almost tenfold and became a truly international company with stores all over world [since the collaboration launched]. Uniqlo proved that it can shoulder the required output and keep its high standard,” she said. “In 2009 already, Uniqlo had the know-how, the techniques and the logistics to establish +J successfully, a line [that] is based on highest quality, fabric research and fine craftsmanship. When we reactivated +J, the collections grew accordingly. I learned that it is possible to do things differently and achieve the ambitious goal of quality for all people.”

While the size of the +J collections grew along with Uniqlo, so did the line’s popularity worldwide.

“In 2009, when we launched our first collection, which we called ‘Chapter 1,’ Uniqlo had only nine markets to serve. Despite this, the collaboration between the legendary designer Jil Sander and Uniqlo took the world by surprise and was talked about much more than we had expected. I remember it being a big deal,” Yanai said. “By the fall of 2020, when the ‘Chapter 2’ collection was launched after 11 years, Uniqlo had expanded its business to 25 markets. There were return customers from the Chapter 1 era, of course, but I learned through social media that people from around the world who had never heard of +J or Uniqlo before were just as enthusiastic about Chapter 2. I believe this proves that if the product has intrinsic value, it can be conveyed to all kinds of people.”

Yanai said he and his team at Uniqlo also learned a lot from their work with Sander, especially when it comes to one of the company’s core principles — “simple is better.”

“Simple and beautiful clothes naturally require attention to detail, and Ms. Sander is a true pioneer in this area. Through our work with Ms. Sander, we were once again convinced that without the passion to evolve into something better, simple yet refined clothing would not be possible in the true sense of the word,” the executive said.
When the +J collection was first announced, it made headlines worldwide and gained a cult following of consumers. It was also the first time the Japanese retailer had worked with such a high-profile, global designer, and the collaboration led to subsequent partnerships with other well-known brands and designers. Among them are Christophe Lemaire, Jun Takahashi of Undercover, Jonathan Anderson, Theory, Nigo, Mame Kurogouchi, White Mountaineering and Ines de la Fressange.

“The +J project was Uniqlo’s first encounter with high fashion. At the time, Ms. Sander taught us the freedom of expression and meticulous attention to detail that only high fashion can offer. I feel that this experience broadened Uniqlo’s perspective on creation. This not only applies to collaborations with other brands, but also to the creation of our core basic items,” Yanai said.

Sander is known throughout the industry for her exacting standards of both quality and design, and she didn’t compromise on these even in her work with Uniqlo. Rather, during the times when she was creating the +J collections, she put her entire focus into this work.

“The accomplishment of +J needed all my energy. Since the collections were quite concentrated, it was a challenge to provide them with content, statement quality and integrity. With limited means, we managed to endow every piece with usefulness and practicality,” the designer said. “In general, I think that our +J work is a milestone for the apparel industry and the ways in which it needs to be reformed.”
With the second chapter of their partnership now coming to a close, both Yanai and Sander look at the experience fondly.
“Looking back, it was a very valuable experience, and we managed to achieve our aim together,” Sander said. “I profited from thinking on such a large scale as Uniqlo’s worldwide presence demands. Of course, it meant channeling my vision to a manageable, smaller collection size. +J may have helped Uniqlo to consolidate their customer base and create interest from new sides since we proved that the know-how and production quality of the company has no limits.”

Yanai echoed the designer’s statements but had even higher praise for her.

“Of course, it was the most positive, challenging and fun work I have ever done,” he said. “I hope Ms. Sander feels the same. She once said to me, ‘Uniqlo has proven that it is possible to mass-produce products while maintaining high quality through hard work and sincerity.’ I was very touched by that.”

Looking to the future and possible subsequent collaborators, Yanai hinted that the experience of working with Sander has shaped his company’s standards. He said the ideal collaborator is “someone who has passion, an obsession with quality, and a keen sense of the times — as Ms. Sander does — as well as someone who shares our company’s basic philosophy of the democratization of clothing.”

For her part, Sander said she is open to the possibility of future collaborations with other brands or companies, but that it would have to be a good fit, as “a quality product is demanding and asks for research and dedication.” She said she would even consider moving slightly away from the fashion business to an adjacent industry.

“I would be interested in translating my idea of purity into a new field, be it a very concentrated cosmetic line or a super-sneaker program,” she said. “This wouldn’t be unknown territory. I designed the first luxury sneaker ever for Puma, named ‘King,’ in the ’90s.”

Source: WWD

Thank you so much for posting!

It is very much true that there is nothing comparable in terms of dedication to quality and the tiniest detailing anywhere else on the market at that price point - Despite the fact it needed to appeal to a larger, global audience, the clothes offered under the +J label still very much read the genuine handwriting of a designer in the way one would expect from better times of the luxury industry, when people like Helmut Lang, Martin Margiela or Ann Demeulemeester would still design their collections themselves.

I would have loved to see this 2nd chapter continue for a bit longer but perhaps it's fine to accept that for the present times, she has provided the clothes that she believes reflect the times we are in right now in the middle of the Corona pandemic, I am generally happy to see her still having the urge to create by her own terms and would love her to find an outlet for her vision every now and then, given that her vision remains intact.

I must also say that, while there was maybe for a time a notion of competition between +J and Uniqlo U, both lines actually looked and felt much different when they hit stores. There is a sense of sartorial elegance with +J even in the most casual pieces that Lemaire's line doesn't quite capture, less so now that it looks increasingly more generic and lesser in quality.

It will be interesting to see if another designer will pick up this more dressed-up chic that +J managed to capture so nonchalantly as that was very much Jil Sander's thing and not something Uniqlo is known for.

Someone, somewhen, will give this lady her due and acknowledge her unique contribution in the field of mass quality, specifically in clothing design. It is quite significant that this could take place within a Japanese company (the Japanese being one time responsible for introducing the concept of Total Quality in industrial design) thanks to a German designer: this was a match made in heaven.
Away from the hype that other designer-high street collaborations (soon to be forgotten) have generated, before and after, starting from Lagerfeld for H&M, I think +J will retain a special place for the durability of what was produced.
And, more poignantly, it all took place at the same time when most "luxury" fashion houses started shamelessly cutting corners, producing unmentionable merch in China or Vietnam or worse for ten times the final price.

While it’s sad to see her go again, I think it’s for the best considering the nature of this collection. There’s only so many great coats and shirts one needs at a time, and even if the new seasonal shade of olive or grey is lovely, it’s silly to buy another one just because of that.

I bought a ton of new pieces from the first two comeback seasons, but ended up not buying anything from the latest one, simply because the two previous seasons fulfilled my need for the kind of clothes Jil can offer at Uniqlo. I think this line benefits from limited runs, so we can enjoy and cherish the pieces we can get our hands on instead of having the opportunity to buy new every season.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phantom63
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->