Virgil Abloh - Designer

Cute

Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:
Wow was planning to sleep in for one more hour but this news WOKE me up when I saw it on the newsfeed. Not shocked judging by the current climate but I just refuse to accept that my nightmare is actually happening.

This thread about to go off with the aristocratic fashionistas ...lol..Congrats to big bro ...:smile:

Nicholas...

200.gif

giphy

Congratulations to Virgil, a genius of modern times! I mean, he has to be.. how else does someone who has copied every single designer under the sun and knows sh*t about fit and construction become head designer of a brand like Vuitton?

Someone there must've really been into The Smashing Pumpkins and forgot the rest of that last show.

Not surprised at all. There is a new trend in fashion and it's called desperation.

I swear I'm feeling light headed, this is such a punch to the gut. How can someone so untalented get this far? He will now have his very mediocre career validated by LV's prestige. God forgive us...

The beginning of the end. I just can't.
Virgil Abloh Joins Louis Vuitton as New Menswear Designer

PARIS, France — Virgil Abloh, the Off-White designer who came to prominence as Kanye West's creative director, has been appointed as the next artistic director of men’s wear at Louis Vuitton, one of the oldest and most powerful European houses in the luxury business.

The appointment, widely rumoured in recent months, follows the departure of Kim Jones, Abloh’s predecessor at Louis Vuitton, in January. Last week, it was announced that Jones would become the men's designer at LVMH-owned Christian Dior, replacing Kris van Assche.

“I feel elated. This opportunity to think through what the next chapter of design and luxury will mean at a brand that represents the pinnacle of luxury was always a goal in my wildest dreams. And to show a younger generation that there is no one way anyone in this kind of position has to look is a fantastically modern spirit in which to start," said Abloh in a statement.

The designer confirmed the appointment early this morning by posting a picture of a Louis Vuitton monogram trunk with the initials “LV” to his Instagram account, without a caption.
businessoffashion

This isn't going to turn things around for LV menswear, this is such a silly stunt, and when have these stunt appointments ever paid off? They buy into the hype and the social media nonsense, but it's such a short sighted way to conduct business.

Oh, dear God! I mean, what a way to start a Monday! It's far too soon for him, he doesn't even have a voice yet. Never cared much about LV men's anyway, so he can run it to the ground.

With such a long delay between Kim exiting and this being announced, I would say contract negotiations weren't easy.

I'm not a fan of this at all, since I'm guessing he's going to continue with Off-White. What I love about Kim and Nicolas is that they have no other output so all of their vision goes into one collection, which is one fault of Demna's because we're seeing a repeat of his aesthetic in two outputs instead of one (for example).

I just don't want to see overpriced sweaters, I don't see how he's going to last in a house with such a high product turnover that constantly needs to see innovation and new-ness. He doesn't even have that much of a history with accessories particularly SLG's and Bags.

This news gave me "cancer". It's like Wang for Balenciaga all over again and at this point I feel like for Nicolas it's time to leave because it's quite disrespectful to be under the same brand with this "copycat".

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
luxnova
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"