Maggie Smith battling cancer

yellowetpink

Reaction score
Dame Maggie Smith (best know for playing Professer McGonagall in the Harry Potter series) has declared the show must go on after being diagnosed with breast cancer.

According to reports, the double Oscar-winning actress has had a tumour removed and has also completed a course of chemotherapy.

Friends described her as "typically brave and understated". One added: "The last thing she wants to do is to make a fuss about it." Dame Maggie, 73, insisted on completing her sixth appearance as Harry Potter schoolmistress Minerva McGonagall in Harry Potter And The Half-Blood Prince while having radiation therapy.

She is due to begin work on Julian Fellowes's film From Time To Time, an adaptation of Lucy M Boston's book The Children Of Green Knowe. Filming has been delayed, however, by several weeks to allow for her recovery.
A spokesman for Mr Fellowes said he expected to begin filming "within the next few weeks" but no specific date has been set.

dailymail.co.uk

I hope she is okay :o

Hope she's okay too :( Love her in everything she does - especially The Secret Garden :heart: I wish her well ...

more terrible news! gah....another great contributor to film. i hope she will overcome this. i loved her in that film with judi dench the lavender ladies i think it was titled. sweet.

Dame Maggie Smith (best know for playing Professer McGonagall in the Harry Potter series)

OT: This goes to prove that people have no memory or movie knowledge. Just a few years ago she was still best known for the wonderful "The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie". I can't believe people can overlook that. :cry:

Back on topic, such sad news. I hope she makes it through this rough patch. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Gosh I really hope she is ok :cry: She is definately one of the best British actresses ever.

^Nemova I know what you mean about that - she has been in so many amazing roles (both in film and on stage). However, she has become so much a part of HP the last movie wouldn't be the same without her :(

god i love her....i wish her all the best...i hope she gets better soon :flower: :heart:

hope she's doing well....love her in 'ladies in lavender' and 'first wives club'

Gosh I really hope she is ok :cry: She is definately one of the best British actresses ever.

^Nemova I know what you mean about that - she has been in so many amazing roles (both in film and on stage). However, she has become so much a part of HP the last movie wouldn't be the same without her :(

I haven't seen the HP movies but I believe you are right. I just hope people will recognise her for her overall talent more than for the Harry Potter series. :ermm:

I haven't seen the HP movies but I believe you are right. I just hope people will recognise her for her overall talent more than for the Harry Potter series. :ermm:

i agree! her HP role (not saying she did bad) can't even compete with her other performances :wink:

I wish her the best.I remember first seeing her in Hook when I was little as Grandma Wendy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nocknock
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->