Modeling Terms ... See Post #1 for link

BetteT

Reaction score
Author, photographer and former commercial agent, Roger Talley has been kind enough to allow us to use portions of his book, The Professional's Guide to Modeling
ir
(
copyright 2008 The Newmodels Academy. All rights reserved) to provide our members with a basic glossary of modeling terms and his definitions.

Just click this link for the Glossary! Lot's of helpful informantion here.

Got more questions about terms? Want to offer some more? Discuss it here, in this thread.

^Well that is really nice:flower:
It will be very helpful to a lot of people!
Thanks for the information.

These are great and a real help to new people starting out. Roger has some wonderful helpful and useful ideas. We are lucky that he lets some of them be reused here. Thanks Roger.

Definition: Promoter

Blackbook.com

Power Players: Mory Traore, Model Magnet

By Fernando Cwilich Gil

September 02, 2008

Mory-Traore-power-players.jpg
“I Hate Models” promoter Mory Traore waxes on why his parties have the most runway talent, ditching the police force, turning **** into gold, and how to combat corruption in Africa.

Point of Origin: I’m from Guinea, West Africa. Came to New York as a student and got a criminology degree from John Jay College. Then I was working for New York Department of Investigation for about seven months until I realized it wasn’t something I wanted to do. Basically it was a military organization with hierarchy, orders -- not the kind of place I function well. I didn’t have freedom. I’m really creative and I couldn’t use it, so I took off and went to Eastern Europe and traveled. And I thought, “OK, when I go back to New York what am I gonna do?" I was in Romania on a train at night writing these things down and I said, “From here on any job I do: no stress. What makes me happy? I love to party. I love beautiful girls. I love to travel.”
I wrote all this down. And I said, “All these things here are things I have to get paid to do. That’s the only way to get a job that makes me happy.” So I started model scouting. I was calling agencies and traveling and telling them if they wanted to pay my travel costs, I will bring you people, then we’ll sit down and figure out the rate or the percentage. So that’s how I got started.
So right around that time, I started promoting a little bit at the club Life. That was the first night I did. I told Steve Lewis, who ran it, that I wanted to start promoting, and he said, “Are you sure?” He told me, “I think you can do it. You know so many people.” They were just paying me per person at first. I know myself. I always do this kind of thing. I want to prove myself to people. I make people depend on me. Once you do so well that their night depends on you, then if you leave, their night is nothing, and you can ask for anything. And I always get it. No promoter gets more than I do, because I know exactly the value of what I do. $1,500, $1,000 is not what I do. What I do is I sell you an image, and this is the image you pay me for. I turn **** into gold. I used to do places like Arena, Air (where Kiss and Fly is now). Tenjune. Places like that. You talk to people at Tenjune, they’re gonna say its because of Mory that they got to this spot. This is what I sell.
Occupations: Right now I do six parties Tuesday through Saturday. I work five nights and one of the nights is two parties. Tuesday’s at Tenjune, Wednesday at Kiss and Fly, Thursday at Tenjune again. Friday at Highbar first, then Bijoux later that night. And Saturdays in the Hamptons at Lily Pond.
Are you at all your parties? Always. My main principle for myself is I have to be there. Unless I’m traveling. That’s another concept with working in a group because most clubs are stealing people that work with me cause they want to break me. Like Ricardo that used to work with me. Or Justin Melnick, or Nicky P. All these guys were working for me, and they come and take them away thinking they’re gonna weaken me. But it’s like the Africans say: If you want to kill the snake, you have to cut the head, not the tail, cause if you cut the tail it’s just gonna regroup and go on. And now what I did is I have a big team of about six trusted people. My brother Fontaine cause nobody can take him away. Gabriele Tresoldi, to replace the Italian element in Ricardo. I met him in Ibiza; I saw him working, so I know he knows how to do things. I just had to train him in the New York style.
What is that style? I know you have a big model crowd. What sets your party apart? What we do is not just the models, it’s a fashion crowd. We do focus more on that. Most promoters have a little circle of models that they go around with, but we go for the quantity of the quality. We try to get the most model girls. A lot of them.
Would you say you are the king of the models in New York? People say this. People tell me I know more models than anybody else. But I don’t know because I don’t go to other parties to make a comparison because most of the time I go to my own party. Because if I’m having my own party one night, I won’t go to another person’s party that night. I think about it the reverse way. What am I gonna think if I’m at my party and I see [a rival promoter] at my party? I’ll think, “Their party probably sucks if they are at my party.”
So of all the parties you’ve done over the years, what’s your favorite? That little ****ty place Suede. Friday was just insane over there. And also Air.
Was the Suede party with Danny A? No, he was doing another night. We never did the same night together.
Do you ever work with other promoters in conjunction on the same party? I usually tell the clubs—cause we charge them a lot of money—if you want to hire other people, that’s fine, but you don’t need it because not only do we bring the models, we bring the bottles, you know. And we have all the regular [people], the masses. Like the text messages I send. I have three thousand numbers in my phone.
Those texts (which are quirky, slightly absurd, and often include the word “model” in some way) are pretty memorable to say the least. Who writes them? I do! (laughing) I just think about regular things, certain things you read or something and turn it around. Someone says something funny, you twist it around. You’ll have a conversation, and I remember it and write it down. I have a little book where I write them down.
Do you have a backlog of texts? Yeah.
Do you recycle them? Rarely, because people remember them, so I try not to (laughing). I had a book full of them before, and I lost it in Cannes. I was so pissed. I had so many because I was on vacation, so I had time to write a lot of them.
What other places do you like to hang out? I know you said you don’t go to other peoples parties necessarily. I go, usually when I have to. Because sometimes the girls want to go to another place if they don’t want to go home. I party for basically work, and of course I have fun and I enjoy it, but when I don’t have to party, I try to go home and sleep to conserve my energy. Especially when you work six parties a week!
Projections: I have a party in Milan for Fashion Week with Muse magazine, and then my birthday in Paris for Fashion Week with Major Model Management. And then we have a party for “I Hate Models.” We made 900 T-shirts with the “I Hate Models” logo, and we’re gonna give them to all the models to wear.
Tell me about the model dinners. It’s usually mainly models that we invite. Again, we do the quantity of the quality. We try to invite anybody that wants to come, but they gotta be models. We can have like 40 or 50 girls. We get 50% off, and we pay for it. We prefer to pay ... it’s better than the regular model dinner.
The girls already eat 50% less. What’s 50% of a salad? Exactly. It works for us. When you have these buffets, people don’t feel special. It’s like you’re a cow. I wouldn’t want to come to a dinner where someone invites me, and someone just puts some food on your plate in front of you. We tell them we want the menu. We know the models don’t eat that much, so we get the menu and get 50% off. We’ll pay for it. Sometimes it’s a lot, like two or three thousand dollars, but we think about the future. All the girls that go out with us know the things we do are really good—it’s not ****ty things or low-quality stuff.
How is your relationship with the modeling agencies? Good relationships with most, but a lot of the agencies don’t want their girls to go out. So we have relationships with the girls directly. With the agencies, we’ll do special parties, special events. Some bookers will call me once in a while if they want to go out, and they bring some girls. But we don’t depend on the bookers.

:lol:i think i made my own model term..
"seasonal model"
i usually use the term whenever there's a model who's only good a few seasons and later she disappears from the industry.

and more than likely their answer to that one would be.....better to have had the chance to be part of that scene for a few seasons, than to never have been there at all. :wink:

I know that article was posted a long time ago but, is it me or did that promoter guy sound like a tool?:doh: I mean I know he get's peoples names out there and everything but still.

One of many.... Not much is said about this side of the industry but it's common knowledge. The agents call it networking,the promoters earn their fees for bringing in the bait,in turn the owners of the clubs supply their clientele with beautiful young things and the models just call it free underage partying for just showing up.

One of many.... Not much is said about this side of the industry but it's common knowledge. The agents call it networking,the promoters earn their fees for bringing in the bait,in turn the owners of the clubs supply their clientele with beautiful young things and the models just call it free underage partying for just showing up.

Exactly, it's like their job is to offer these girls up as pieces of meat instead of professional models. Bleh

Quick question, if you say a model is "placed" with another overseas agency, what does that mean exactly? Thanks. :smile:

The "mother agent" writes a contract with an agent in another city/country that the second agent will get work for the model (the model goes there) and they split their commission.

If the model is "placed" in Tokyo, she has an agency there. This is the main work for agents who are not in big fashion centers.

this is a general question about walking the shows...
it seems that most of the models who do extremely well in a single season of shows end up getting a bunch of editorial work soon after. do photographers and magazines use the runways to scout faces for their upcoming eds/campaigns? or if a model walks for a designer, do they decide to use her for the campaign if they like her?

What is the difference between a lookbook and a catalogue? Is there any?

^A lookbook usually presents only one designer's clothes from one season, and it is heavily influenced by said designer's aesthetic preferences. It's usually sent out to the press, magazines and buyers.

A catalog is more commercial in that you can actually order clothes from it. Prices and item descriptions will be listed, many designers will be featured and the look of it is heavily influenced by the store it's coming from. ie Barney's vs Saks vs J Crew.

I have a question:
What does an agent, booker, manager do?

I have a question:
What does an agent, booker, manager do?

They do sort of what their name entails. They manage and book models. So they are supposed to actively seek out clients for their models to shoot for and to walk for, and then they negotiate contracts with these clients. Models opt for having these people because many times models don't have the contacts needed to sustain themselves. A booker/manager is to keep their ear to the ground to find out who exactly needs what, and then connecting their models to that opportunity and working out all of the details so the models only have to model.

Sometimes though there is a differentiation. Larger agencies may have bookers, who just book jobs plain and simple. They may not do much else but book jobs. Some models will have a manager in addition/instead of this because they want someone that is going to look out for their best interest. Instead of just booking jobs a manager may be looking towards long term and also the bigger picture while a booker may only be interested in getting a job now.

slightly confused about stats, some people measure waist on women at their bellybutton, others measure the waist at the smallest part of a women's abdomen?
And where exactly is hips measured at?

hips - Over the bum, at the largest measurement of the hips

waist - at smallest measurement

What is the difference between the "image" and the "woman" section on the page of modeling agencies?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulpaul
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->