Models That Debuted In The Wrong Era

modelista

Reaction score
Ever looked at a current underrated model and thought, "If this model had debuted during such and such time, they'd be a SUPERMODEL by now":judge:... I know there are many factors that contribute to a model becoming successful, but I'm curious to see who we think would've faired better if only timing was the only factor^_^.

Anais Mali (debut S/S10)
large_portrait.jpg

SS09 - back when clothes & models were actually attractive:innocent:, I could easily see her slaying the runway; especially in Milan & Paris:heart:

Frida Aasen (debut S/S12)
545177-500w.jpg

FW10 - With her youthful and doll-like features, i could see her being almost as popular as Lindsey Wixson or Daphne Groeneveld.

Senait Gidey (debut S/S12)
276467-500w.jpg

SS11 - there was a embracing of black models during this time and I feel like this sexy girl next door beauty appeal would've been undeniable

Kate Grigorieva (debut F/W14)
264541-500w.jpg

SS09 - this sexy bombshell would've fit in perfectly strutting alongside Toni Garrn, Jac, Magdalena Frackowiak, Anna Selezneva, Edita Vilkeviciute etc:P

nextmanagement | models

^You gotta give your thoughts/opinion on which season(s) you think the model would've fair better in... Sorry, I should've made myself more clearer:doh::flower:.

Yeah like what I said on her thread, Kate G. modeled in the wrong era.

I feel like Aneta Pajak (debuted S/S 15) could've been bigger as well if she modeled around S/S 09 as well (like what you stated about Kate).

Mathilde Brandi (debuted S/S 16)
1321377151emxkix0-724x1024.jpg

models

SS11 or SS12 - She has such an expensive, regal and sensual look that just doesn't fit this generation of girls:judge:

Luna Bijl (debuted ss16)
would've been a supermodel in early 2000s. she's got a natural sensual, fresh and glamourous look. i feel like this era is too full of ugly, plain girls. she's too classically beautiful for this era in fashion. i hope i'm wrong cause i want to see her become a super.

I think that Milou Van Groesen would have been at the top of the industry in the mid to late 2000s with the short haircut. I could see her having the kind of success Agyness had then.

8a961f97d041ee8d9b85d977fbee23ba.jpg

models.com

Also I think a model like Valerija Kelava would've been at the top of the industry in the early 2000s. I could see her having a Hannelore Knuts type career

valerija_dazed.jpg

instagram/dazedmagazine

Hanaa Ben Abdesslem would've been a supermodel in the late 80s/early 90s.

466full-hanaa-ben-abdesslem.jpg

pinterest

Marie Piovesan would've been a high fashion superstar (like Kirsten Owen) in the late 1990s.

000000363212-marie_piovesan-fit.jpg

fashionmodeldirectory

Last edited by a moderator:
I've always thought that Agyness Deyn set the tone for girls like Cara, Binx, Adwoah, girls with a type of crazy, quirky and fun personality. As you can imagine, a lot of people on here couldn't abide her during her reign (but TFS then had such a brutal crowd anyway :lol:). There was a nice media build-up around her, even at a time when the public at large didn't care about models. Deyn may have had a very successful run, but if she debut along with the Instagirls of 2014/2015, she'd have made a killing. Her look would definitely have suited fashion's obsession with the 60's & 80's.

It's a shame Marie Piovesan debut when she did. I truly think she's got a very Gallic type of beauty to her, like a younger MAS. But I actually cannot picture her in any other era. Her look is not really that strong or distinct to make an impact or define a tone. Same with Ophélie Guillermand and Heloise Guerin (who may have been derailed by Constance J). Ophélie is here, and booking great jobs, but if she's gone tomorrow I doubt people would notice. I get the feeling that the French don't really know how to market their own girls.

Lakshmi Menon was also a missed opportunity. Don't think people appreciated her type of beauty then. All the South Asian girls right now look so bland and unimpressive to me, especially Pooja M. Lakshmi's look feels stronger, and easily sets her apart.

Du Juan must really be glad she got big when she did, any sooner nobody would have cared, and later she'd have been lost next to Liu Wen and Fei Fei.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's interesting that Iris Strubegger and Jamie Bochert debuted already back in 2002, but they really hit the mark many years later. I guess their look wasn't so fashionable in the early 2000's, when the industry started to shift from their type of 90's androgyne to really girly and sexy.

It's interesting that Iris Strubegger and Jamie Bochert debuted already back in 2002, but they really hit the mark many years later. I guess their look wasn't so fashionable in the early 2000's, when the industry started to shift from their type of 90's androgyne to really girly and sexy.

I keep hoping Iris will make a huge comeback. Jamie is so great and I am glad she gets consistent work since the late 2000s.

Never liked Jamie, I simply don't find her attractive nor likeable. Maybe it's her face shape.
Iris however is one of my faves. Despite kicking off with a Balenciaga campaign, people only really took notice of her after US Vogue gave her a haircut. Maybe her agency didnt know how to sell her. Because somehow Freja had a thriving career during the perion she slowed down. There's always a little corner in fashion for the androgynous type. Iris' mistake was taking a break when she did. Now she must play catch-up, and rival women like Kirsten Owen, who have much more to offer than her. Odd to think that she's got less than 2K followers.

Greatest hit? That Chanel/denim cover for VP. I must add that she never sold me androgynous with confidence, maybe because her personality is actually quite sweet and girly-ish.

Never liked Jamie, I simply don't find her attractive nor likeable. Maybe it's her face shape.
Iris however is one of my faves. Despite kicking off with a Balenciaga campaign, people only really took notice of her after US Vogue gave her a haircut. Maybe her agency didnt know how to sell her. Because somehow Freja had a thriving career during the perion she slowed down. There's always a little corner in fashion for the androgynous type. Iris' mistake was taking a break when she did. Now she must play catch-up, and rival women like Kirsten Owen, who have much more to offer than her. Odd to think that she's got less than 2K followers.

Greatest hit? That Chanel/denim cover for VP. I must add that she never sold me androgynous with confidence, maybe because her personality is actually quite sweet and girly-ish.

We can agree to disagree about Jamie. I will always appreciate her distinctive, unique, odd beauty.

As for Iris, I feel that she was kinda replaced by Saskia in 2011 when she slowed down. I do see her making a big comeback someday though. I could see her scoring something big and unexpected like Prada campaign. Only time will tell I guess.

Also Jamilla Hoogenboom. She's definitely in the wrong era...
jamilla%2B%25284%2529.jpg

Womenmanagemen.com

I feel like Miekke and Hailee debuted in the wrong era. They both have what it takes to be in all the major mags and do campaigns but they should have debuted around the time the likes of Hilary Rhoda debuted.

Mieke1200-784x1024.jpg

Mieke%2BVisser%2B-%2BElle%2BAfrica%252C%2BNovember%2B2015%2B6.jpg

elle.abdi

co.za

216.jpg

vogue&bindis

Can we also post on this thread models that we feel were ahead of their time? Like, "Oh if she had debutted nowadays her strangeness/beauty/whatever would have been much more appreciated than back in the day" ?

I mean I can't think of anyone but it would also be interesting to see it the other way around :P

^of course you can^_^:flower:. Off the top of my head, I feel like Ranya Mordanova falls into that category. I think she would've faired better in this generation of models

403641-500w.jpg

models

Kate G at The Lions is a prime example - she would've fit in perfectly with the super sexy girls of the late 90's / early 2000's.

Anyone remember Lin Kjerulf? She did a few big shows in 2013, but never made it past being a runway filler. I think she would do really well in today's era. She has the same Vittoria/Faretta vibes. That angular, yet classically beautiful face that most people love.

118064-800w.jpg

models

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cstmbres
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->