Natural & Household Beauty Recipes

Has anyone tried manuka honey as a mask?

Yes!! I used to crush a couple aspirins (uncoated) in a little water to make a slurry and then mix in some manuka honey and apply it to clean skin for 20 minutes. I thought it made my skin soft and glowy until someone pointed out that honey *might* cause glycation of the skin...not good *IF* true. Anyone know for sure?

i know u cant get rid of blackheads but i have blackheads on the corner of my lips that are so difficult to extract that u cant get all of it out. i know its gross but any tips? they are the deep hard ones! i know gross! HELP!

i make my own wax!!!! its sooo good! you can make it too- its called sugaring u can find tons of receipes online!!! its painless, no strips and no stickiness

^ BUMP!

Also, I'm sure everyone knows about this one, but it does have to be said. I swear by vasline. I use it for everything as a moisturizer, making my face look dewy, getting rid of acne, lipgloss, keeping my eyebrows looking nice, under my eyeshadow to give it a bit of shine, ect. It is amazing how this product can be used for beauty products.

Vaseline's great, as is Aquaphor.

Let's revive this thread and get some DIY/at-home beauty recipes going! I made a wonderful peppermint lip scrub for the holidays... :heart:

^ I'll have to get reacquainted with Vaseline it seems! I never knew it was so versatile. Also Erin do you have the recipe for your peppermint lip scrub? Sounds lovely!

I made a delightful body scrub on the weekend that left my skin incredibly soft and smelling divine. It makes quite a lot of scrub that you can leave in a jar in the fridge, then scoop out your desired amount with a dry wooden spoon in the shower so you don't get any water and germs in the mixture. Apparently it lasts for a few weeks, you just need to stir it well before each use as the mixture separates quite easily. It's super easy to make:

1 cup of brown sugar
1/3 cup of coconut oil (I used the organic extra virgin kind)
2 tablespoons of honey (organic is preferable, but any kind will do)

Enjoy!

Ah, I was just coming to revive this thread and mention the sugar + honey combo.. I'm obsessed, don't know how I never tried this before.. and even though it isn't my favorite smell, I like how the smell of sugar stays for a while. I love doing this after coming from a 6 km run, then finish off with a cold shower. All three procedures keep me the rest of the day slapping my cheeks :lol:.. baby levels of soft.

Going to add coconut oil as soon as I can for the full summer 'experience'. :heart:

You guys should check this chick out. Her videos are fantastic and informative.

I haven't tried any of her DIYs, but I know my mom has done some of them (she learned about them through some natural remedy book instead of youtube) and has fantastic skin, imo.

Coconut Oil, all day every day. I'm slightly obsessed with being moisturized 100% of the time and I used to use baby oil but if it wasn't in the winter i felt like it would just sit on my skin. Now that it's warmer I picked up a jar of coconut oil from whole foods and i've been using it right after the shower on my body while my skin is still wet and it soaks in right away and doesn't leave a greasy feeling or a smell at all. I highly recommend it. I might use it as a hair mask soon because i've heard some people do that or use it on their face but I'm too scared to use it on my face because I'm very prone to breakouts so I try to tread lightly with any questionable skin products.

Last edited by a moderator:
Home made beauty fixes

I hope this thread doesnt exist, sometimes onwe doesnt need to buy a $300 beauty cream, nature provides more than enough options.

Here is one I tried which has amazing results it leaves your skin glowing

Mix youghurt, honey and oats then apply to your face as a mask for 15mins and wash it off then do ur usual routine.

The other one I knw of a coffee scrub

1. Coffee
  2. Extra virgin olive oil
  3. a small drop Peppermint essential oil (optional) or lemon
mix them then apply and scrub and rinse

Ooooh I'd be interested in what other people use, I love mixing natural ingredients and making masks, scrubs and so on.

I sometimes get some natural gel from an Aloe Vera plant and just splatter it on my face until the goo is dry then wipe it off.

Babushka's Beauty Secrets by Raisa Ruder, Susan Campos and Mona Shafer Edwards is such a gorgeous and amazing book. If you are interested in DIY recipes you have to buy it. I don't think you're gonna regret it.

This is my today's recipe:
Grate raw potato, squeeze the juice and apply the juice under your eyes for 10 minutes. Alternatively, you can also place thin slices of potato on your eyes (with them closed) every night before you retire. This is one of the most popular and time-tested home remedies for dark circles.

i put fresh lemon juice in my hair before going out in the sun.

My mum would do it for my sister and i when we were kids to lighten/blonde our hair.

It may make your hair go a little … how can i put it… like hard? Or crisp like? I usually put it in my hair before a run along the beach and then afterwards go swim in the ocean to rinse it out.

Definitely works!!

I'm all about DIY skincare. LOVE.

• Grapeseed oil for OCM, straight up. It's all I need to get full coverage foundation, waterproof mascara and sunscreen off.
  • Grapeseed oil + raw shea butter makes a thick whipped winter body butter.
  • Brown sugar + coconut/grapeseed oil/whatever I have available - simplest, best body scrub.
  • Add coffee grounds to the above scrub - adore it for mornings!
  • Coconut oil as a hair mask. My mom, my grandmother, my great grandmother, and further back, used coconut oil in their hair daily in Bangladesh.
  • Full-fat yogurt + turmeric face mask - gives you incredible glow, especially if you have darker skin.
  • Bentonite clay + apple cider vinegar - sucks everything out of every single pore on your face.

I found this recipes in my mother's old beautybook from the late 60's. My english is far from perfect but I'm gonna translate as best as I can.

BENIGN NECKMASK
1. Pour an eggwhite in a bowl and mix it with a couple of drops of lemon juice.
2. Apply the mixture over the entire neck with a brush or a damp wad of cotton.
3. Let the mask sit on for about 20 minutes.
4. Wash the mask away with lukewarm water.
5. When the skin is dry apply a stimulating night cream.

Do this beauty treatment a couple of times a week.

A GOOD AND CHEAP FACIAL TONER
1. Take a 50 cl bottle. Fill it with cold water, ad the juice of a whole lemon. Put the bottle in the fridge.

HAIRMASK FOR ALL HAIRTYPES
An egg yolk
Couple of drops of cooking oil
A couple of warm towels

1. Mix the egg yolk with the cooking oil.
2. Massage the mixture in the dry hair.
3 Sweep a towel that has been dipped in hot water and then wringed out around the head.
4. Change the towel a couple of times.
5. Shampoo the hair and rinse it very carefully afterwards.
6. The last rinsing of the hair should be with cold water.

DIY Face Masks

I haven't seen a thread on DIY face masks so thought I would start one!

I was going to buy some French pink clay from eBay and try making my own gentle blackhead removing/pore shrinking mask by mixing it with rosewater.

Does anyone here make their own masks and want to share any recipes? :heart:

i love coconut oil so here´s one...

Ingredients:

1 tablespoon virgin coconut oil
2 teaspoons raw honey
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice

Directions:

Combine the above ingredients thoroughly in a small mixing bowl.
Apply a thick coat of the mixture onto your clean face.
Allow the mixture to sink in for 10 minutes. Rinse off with cool water.
Pat dry with a soft towel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
barakz12
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->