Nikon D40

thanks for the review zen - that's very helpful
a photographer friend of mine told me exactly what you said about the lenses but i am most definitely an SLR beginner and have no other SLR cameras so i am not concerned

sorry to hear yours broke....but maybe it's the perfect opportunity to buy that new one you're dreaming of :heart:

Here are some more images I've taken on my D40:

873056246_ef19386d54.jpg

757519555_1cc977e4a3.jpg

1074604857_398586457b.jpg

1082693355_2dd58e5da9.jpg

1095819389_4cb1660d41.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nylonsandcake/

I just LOVE this camera! :heart:

^ Wow those photos are amazing.
I want this camera now :cry:

Thought to share one of mine that I took with the d40 before I broke it. :(

i just ordered this camera last night - it should be here by Monday. i normally shoot medium and large format but don't have a good quality digital camera that i can carry with me and use all the time. i have a newish Nikon film SLR so i can use the lenses with this camera too. i'm so excited! definitely expect some images next week. :D

i think i will buy this camera since all of you have been raving about it and always wanted a DSLR. :lol::P

Just a question, do u think i will need to buy extra lenses or would the one that came with it enough?
If extra lenses are needed, can someone suggest me a particular model?

Thankz:flower:

I got the D40x for Christmas. I absolutely love it. Need to get the telephoto lens next, but I guess I really need to learn how to use all of the features first. The quality is incredible.

I found this on Amazon.com in a forum comparing the D40 to D40x. They are basically the same, with a few subtle differences. As far as quality, the results are identical, unless you want poster size enlargements:

There are essentially three differences between the two:

The D40x has:

10 MP sensor (vs 6 MP for the D40)
100 ISO lowest sensitivity (vs 200 ISO for the D40)
1/500 second flash synchronization (vs 1/200 second for the D40)

A lot of people say the D40 has less noise in lower light situations. Since physically, the size of the sensors are the same, the D40x packs more pixels into a smaller space.

As far as the lenses, I can't claim any expertise, but it seems to me you are looking at two different lenses to optimize the two different situations. For low light, you want a pretty fast lens, and for indoors you don't need a particularly long lens. For sporting events you also want a pretty fast lens, but you need a pretty good zoom reach and probably vibration reduction.

The kit lens (18-55) is not particularly fast. (f/3.5-5.6) Fast lenses are going to be pricey for any camera. I also imaging in low light situations you are going to have problems with autofocus. In you are content with manual focus in low light indoor shots, there are plenty of lenses that will do the trick.

^ Thankz for the tip

i think i've decided on getting the Nikon D40 is that the major differences btw D40 & D40x is just the megapixels and i don't think i will ever develope my pictures into poster size. And plus, i don't think i can afford to buy it and would rather spend money on lenses since they can be used on plenty of cameras.

And also for the lenses, i'm thinking of getting the 18-55mm with the kit and also another one like you said for a better zoom. Will u suggest me a particular model thats moderately priced.

Thankz Once again!:flower:

I forgot all about this thread, which is weird because I recently acquired a Nikon D40x. For the record, it's an excellent, excellent camera, and I recommend it to anyone, whether you're a beginner or advanced.

I have two lenses for mine: the 18-55mm (which came with the camera), and the 55-200mm. The latter has incredibly zoom (obviously); I've been getting some good shots of the Moon lately using it, no tripod or anything.

If anyone has questions about this particular model and/or the lenses, just ask.

I just realised that the D40x & Canon 400D is the same price....
i'm quite confused on which one to choose once again :doh:

YES!!! i finally got the D40x :woot:^_^
now i just need to learn how to use it properly and read through the manual. :wink:
Does anyone have any tips or tricks?? :blush:

TheKiwi- do you think you could suggest some tips to me about the Nikon D40, well using it. I'm having problems adjusting to mine, maybe b/c i was more used to point & shoots? :unsure: i have taken some pretty SWELL images with it & i know it's user friendly, but i need more advice on modes and when to use them.

I would read my manual but i can't seem to find it. help me please :cry:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sl4vicd0ll
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->