The 'Outfit Look-Alikes' Thread

Star of Hollywood Tarantula shirt, 1950s

rakuten

Prada S/S 2018

vogue, bergdorfgoodman

Good catch! That was actually one of my favourite pieces of the Prada collection. But the Star of Hollywood looks even better!

I can't believe Bergdorfs is actually selling that. It's grotesque!

louis vuitton & vintage gaultier

voguerunway.com
1stdibs.com

and now virgil went to the same vintage rental place

Ut5e4uY9_o.jpg

voguerunway

and now virgil went to the same vintage rental place

and so did 'chakshyn' from current kiev fashion week, although they didn't have the original on hand it seems

10-Chakshyn-Fall-2018.jpg

voguerunway

Last edited by a moderator:
Gaultier is, indeed, one of the most visionary and non-credited designers of our time. His work is stolen/copied over and over again.

louis vuitton & vintage gaultier

voguerunway.com
1stdibs.com
and that red Gaultier jacket^ is inspired, I would say, by Victorian women's bodices/jackets (not sure what the were) over their big skirts (the silhouette) ... and mixed with the trend in little boys' sailor suits (the collars). And yes ... that is a little boy:

View attachment 710043
source: yeoldefashion.tumblr.com

View attachment 710045
source: amazon.com..Victorian-Fashion-America

Every designer, including Gaultier uses previous styles as inspiration. :heart:

Attachments

• victoriandress111.jpg
    victoriandress111.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 4
  • tumblr_lw7s27lc1X1qbkn6io1_500.jpg
    tumblr_lw7s27lc1X1qbkn6io1_500.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 2
Last edited by a moderator:
Every designer, including Gaultier uses previous styles as inspiration.

True, nothing materializes out of thin air but Gaultier's piece looks nothing like his inspiration. It's a fantastic mix of several references to create something original that people hadn't seen until that point. Today's stylists like Abloh (and sometimes designers we admire like Ghesquiere, Simons and Philo) literally duplicate patterns.

and that red Gaultier jacket^ is inspired, I would say, by Victorian women's bodices/jackets (not sure what the were) over their big skirts (the silhouette) ... and mixed with the trend in little boys' sailor suits (the collars). And yes ... that is a little boy:

View attachment 710043
source: yeoldefashion.tumblr.com

View attachment 710045
source: amazon.com/Victorian-Fashion-America

Every designer, including Gaultier uses previous styles as inspiration. :heart:

Yes, but the talent lies in the ability to pick out those truly historical elements and to integrate them in a piece and context of a whole different era. In this case I'm sure Gaultier made his research (the victorian stuff), he really thought things out and was inventive in combining those elements into something so different and something that still speaks to us in 2018.

I can almost guarantee Virgil and the Vuitton team didn't do any research like that. Like was suggested earlier, they probably paid a visit to a vintage rental showroom to get that Gaultier jacket (or worse, Pinterest).

It's weird but for me Nicolas copying Gaultier is not the same as Virgil copying him.
I mean, Gaultier was one of Nicolas's idol. Nicolas used to work for him so it's natural that his aesthetic influenced him...Like with Margiela!
Nothing is really original but Nicolas has personal aesthetic and he managed to integrate the Gaultier in that.

I mean, Saint Laurent referenced the past and even designers like Dior, Balenciaga and Chanel.

The thing about Virgil is that i'm not even sure that he knows that it all comes from Gaultier. His collections are curated from various collections from the hottest designers today. Virgil is no different from Proenza Schouler.

I agree with dodencebt and rip_ian curtis: One thing is to draw inspiration other to copy/steal. Gaultier researched, designed and did a pattern combining various sources of inspiration. He actually did the work of a true designer.

Now Virgil... wow. He just changed the neckline. It's the exact same pattern otherwise. The length, the sleeves, the hem,... It's not even funny.

Plein rips off an entire SL look, even the boots! The new Zuhair?

YSL F/W 17 vs. PP F/W 18

vogue

See-through trench at Plein vs. Rykiel (not sure if anyone came up with this before).

F/W 18 vs. S/S 10

vogue

Fur straps on handbag at Plein vs. Dior

F/W 18 vs. S/S 04

vogue.com

Dior Pre-Fall 2015 vs. Tibi F/W 2018

vogue

nowfashion

Dior F/W 2015 vs. Dion Lee F/W 2018

vogue

Where have I seen those Dion Lee dresses before, besides Dior?

this odlr dress reminds me of this one
_OSC0975.jpg

00080fullscreen.jpg

Christopher Kane ss 2009
vogue.com

Margiela also did dresses in a similar type of mesh as the one in those Dior ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bellbell
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"