Patti Smith

To me the essential canon is Horses, Radio Ethiopia and a (recording of a) live radio broadcast of a show she did at the Boarding House in San Francisco in 1976, which was when she was at the height of her powers IMO. She mixed poetry and rock and roll so fluidly, and while she made reverential references to Dylan, Lou Reed and The Stones, it was clear that, for pure inspiration and passion, she was the equal of any of them.

I'm also very fond of her classic rendition of Hey Joe, with Tom Verlaine playing some insane guitar and Patti referencing Patty Hearst and the SLA in the intro, have you heard that? She turned everything on its head... :heart:

i love patti, she reminds me a lot of john lennon in this pic anyone else agree? or am i just seeing things, i guess it's just the hair and the picture is fuzzy.

Attachments

• patti_smith_175.jpg
    patti_smith_175.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 476
Patti Is An Angel Disguised As Lust

UNIQUE
WILD
PRINCESS

What can I say? I'll post my fave picture of hers, hughing Lou Reed.. By the way, is anyone of you going to his gig in April 18 in Paris?
I met Patti after a concert, not so long ago... she was like terribly intimidated by the crowd begging her for an autogramm or, worse, for a picture.
As I asked her to autogramm me, she said in such a pessimistic tone: "this is not going to work".... referring to my old pencil, but it did...

She's so wild I can still remember that sweat-smoke-velvet voice after the gig.

^you're very lucky!

tangerine said:
I'm also very fond of her classic rendition of Hey Joe, with Tom Verlaine playing some insane guitar and Patti referencing Patty Hearst and the SLA in the intro, have you heard that? She turned everything on its head... :heart:
oh, where could i get that? and the live recording from 1976? sounds awesome, thanks tangerine!

thanks for the link luxmode!

and yes, i see the resemblance in the picture you posted cammy, myabe it's the angle:wink:

Don't think so........

:woot:
tangerine said:
Patti-inspired clothing by Ann D....

patti2.jpg
:woot: Patti wasn't ever into clothes. Still isn't! She was my role model! My 'herion'. The one that leads me with her music through hard times! She still does!

Outside of society, that's where I wanna be
Outside of society that's where you find me
Cause baby I'm rock 'n roll ******!

One other thing about Patti: she's a woman who stands for the freedom of speech as well. Yes, I can quote a lot of Patti's songs too. Own all her albums. A book with all her lyrics. Have even met her!!! Patti will laugh about the fact that she's a ícon'. She is such an important thing in my life! I did survive with her songs.
She has never been much of a dresser, she doesn't care about that. So that's why I was a bit critical at Ann DeMeulemeester's 'inspiration' on Patti! And it has been deleted? That's not the Patti way of handle things, not her philosophy at all!
So I'm now 'Out of [the fashion] society cause I'm a rock 'n roll ******'?

Oh, I feel bloody ashamed now! I'm not deleted! SO SORRY! I think I've to work out properly first how this forum works! And then react.

Now I can't even find a shameful icon............

I love it though that Patti has still so many admirers. She is a strong woman.....I've seen her so often on stage! Everytime she was in my country.
I should never ever have imagined her as a fashion icon! She neither I think......I hope people start listen to her music again.

What a hard ***
I love her
for her crush on Edie
for her admiration of Dylan
for the white shirts and for the look
for Horses
for the moxie for the hair
for the sh*t that comes outta her mouth
i love love love her

Last edited by a moderator:
i do think she knows that she's a fashion icon in a sense.
the cover of horses was a fashion statement.
after all, fashion is a form of self-expression and it was ann demeulemeester whom she inspired and not tom ford^_^

have i posted these yet?
patti smith avec bernstein and dylan

Attachments

• pattibob.jpg
    pattibob.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 17
  • pattibernstein.jpg
    pattibernstein.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 27
Adriana said:
She has never been much of a dresser, she doesn't care about that. So that's why I was a bit critical at Ann DeMeulemeester's 'inspiration' on Patti!

there is a patti smith biography where she talks about her love of clothing, about being inspired by "vogue" photos, about being "equal parts Balenciaga and Brando."

(from http://www.oceanstar.com/patti/intervus/7607oui.htm:(

Patti has just returned from a photo session and is sitting on a makeshift couch in the band room down the hall from her manager's office. She is wearing dark glasses, a black-leather jacket and a white-silk shirt—her trademarks. Her black-shag haircut exaggerates the whiteness of her face. Her delicate hands suggest that beneath the tough leather jacket she is really fragile and vulnerable. On her left wrist is a gold I.D. bracelet on which is inscribed the name RIMBAUD.

"I know I'm scrawny-looking," she says, "but I don't like cheap stuff. Once, with the dough I got from a poetry reading, I went straight to Tiffany's. I saw this I.D. bracelet and decided to have my muse's name on it.

(snip)
On her dream date: "A dream date for me would be something classy. First, he would send me a box from Balenciaga and in it would be the classic black dress, an orchid and dark glasses. He would send my whole outfit. I would look like Anouk Aimee in La Dolce Vita. Then he'd call on me in a Jaguar that had wings and we'd fly to the south of France. Then we'd go out for a classy dinner and there'd be a menu with no prices. After that, we'd go to a roulette house, like in Band of Angels. I'd end the evening looking like Jeanne Moreau. Then he'd drive me back and kiss my hand. And we wouldn't do nothing, if you know what I mean."

meme, the ethnomusicologist
and punk rocker in her youth

Patti Smith is among the style icons who inspire the lovely and gorgeous Alison ("VV") Mosshart of the duo The Kills. You can really tell, looking at her. I'll try to find some pictures, but she was most recently in an issue of i-D. Or Google their new video, "The Good Ones."

'Even as a child, I felt like an alien'

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Patti Smith's outlandish 1975 debut, 'Horses' was a landmark album whose stature grows with every passing year. Next month, as curator of the Meltdown festival, she will play it in its entirety on stage for the first time. Here she tells Simon Reynolds about the birth of a record that shaped a generation[/font]

[font=Geneva,Arial,sans-serif]Sunday May 22, 2005

[/font][font=Geneva,Arial,sans-serif]Patti Smith today looks as striking as the 28-year-old instant icon who defiantly out-stared the viewer from the cover of Horses. With her strong nose and thin, rangy frame, she's still androgynous, but her appearance, 30 years on, now has something of a 'ragged glory' aura.

Like the saddle-sore outlaws of The Wild Bunch, Smith is a battered survivor of a freer era, rock'n'roll's lost frontier. Life has given Smith a bit of a battering over the past 15 years. Life, or more accurately, death: her dear departed include husband Fred Smith, best friend (and Horses photographer) Robert Mapplethorpe, brother Todd Smith, and long-time piano player Richard Sohl (all of whom died much younger than they should have), along with both her parents and close friend William Burroughs. In the early days, many of her songs were dreamed into being, but nowadays, Smith notes, 'my dreams are populated by people I've lost'. So she's a survivor in another, sadder sense.

Article continues :-

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/omm/story/0,13887,1486833,00.html

[/font]

I've always been familiar with Patti Smith and her songs,how she sounds on record and how she looks but as I listened to a radio interview with her the other day I realised it was the first time I'd heard her talk (ever) and I couldnt believe how soft and girly she sounds. :blush:

she impresses me every time i see something of her. there is noone that compares to her, is there? :unsure: i can't think of anybody that resembles her.

great photos! I hadn't seen this thread before. Patti is so inspiring. You TFSers have such good taste. :blush:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->