Peter Som and Michael Bastian named Creative Directors at Bill Blass

kimair

frozen
Reaction score
peter som's appointment has been rumoured for a few weeks now...
didn't know about bastian...
from fashionweekdaily...

Bill Blass, Ltd., LLC, a division of NexCen Brands, Inc., announced today that Peter Som has been appointed creative director of the company’s women’s division and that Michael Bastian will be creative director for menswear.In this role, Som will oversee the entire women’s design teams for Bill Blass licensed and wholly owned businesses, including the ready-to-wear collection. He will assume his new role beginning with the Pre-Fall 2008 Women’s Collection. Prabal Gurung, who has been at Blass for four years, will remain design director for the collection, reporting to Som.

Bastian will design and oversee a men’s high-end collection for the brand to be launched at a later date, as well as all licensed and wholly owned menswear categories. While assuming responsibilities in these roles, Som and Bastian will continue designing for their own namesake fashion houses.
Robert D’Loren, president and chief executive officer of NexCen Brands, Inc. said in a statement, “The appointment of these two talented forces in the industry, Peter Som and Michael Bastian, shows our focus and commitment to ensuring a successful future for the Bill Blass brand. Each women’s and men’s division will have its own defined creative vision, and the roles of Peter and Michael will enable the brand to receive a level of attention in each design area that it hasn’t had previously.”

1.gif
1.gif

1.gif
1.gif
1.gif
Bill Blass has become one of most internationally recognized brands for women’s ready-to-wear since its inception in 1970. The legendary Bill Blass brand was built on offering elegant designs executed in the finest fabrics, a tradition that lives on in the company today.“The return of Peter Som to Bill Blass is a wonderful and nostalgic journey for us. Shortly after Peter left his design assistant position at the company, he accepted a CFDA Lifetime Achievement Award on behalf of Mr. Blass who was unable to attend the ceremony, which was a milestone accomplishment for the brand,” said Michael Groveman, chief executive officer of Bill Blass, Ltd., LLC. “It is also a pleasure to welcome the incredibly talented Michael Bastian to the Bill Blass menswear division. He will become the first creative director for menswear the company has had since 1978.”

Som, a San Francisco native and graduate of the Parsons School of Design, launched his first collection of women’s wear in spring 2001 after honing his skills in the design rooms of Bill Blass, Calvin Klein, and Michael Kors. Som has since emerged as one of the most promising young American designers. His signature style is designing clothes with a spirit of unstudied elegance, best known for their clean yet unfettered feminine appeal.

“I’m thrilled to return to Bill Blass as the women’s creative director,” said Som. “I have always thought fondly of my time there as an assistant designer. I look forward to fully embracing my new role and the exciting future that lies ahead. My current focus is to evolve and modernize the brand by incorporating my own aesthetic while staying true to Mr. Blass’s vision and legacy.”

The former men’s fashion director for Bergdorf Goodman, Bastian launched his own menswear collection in 2006 after noticing a void in the men’s designer market for classic American apparel produced at a luxury level and with a modern fit. He was a nominee for the 2007 CFDA Newcomer Menswear Designer of the Year award, as well as a recently announced finalist for this year’s CFDA/Vogue Fashion Fund award.

“The opportunity to be part of the re-launch of the Bill Blass men’s line is incredibly exciting for me,” he said. “Mr. Blass was always someone I greatly admired, who in my opinion completely epitomized the idea of the American Gentleman: charming, engaging, caring, always beautifully put together, but in an approachable, loosened-tie sort of way.”

i never considered Peter Som to design really glamerous collections, but we'll see....

two good choices for the label...
and a good idea to keep it separated...

a designer usually is stronger in one area or the other...

pre-fall 2008 is a good time to start them out...
i like this recent trend of getting the new designer to start with a pre-collection before taking on an entire runway show...
it's good business...

seems like people are learning ...
there has been so much change in the industry lately that it seems like companies are starting to get the hang of it more and more..
learning from their own and others' mistakes...

thanks for the thread kimair!..
:flower:

I think this is a great appointment. Peter's collections have always been very feminine and elegant and I think that could go with the overall feel of Bill Blass. Cant wait to see what he comes up with.

Michael Bastian is the PERFECT designer for the lux relaunch of Bill Blass.

oops,
i just posted this as a new topic as i didnt see this one! sorry!

anyway, great news IMO. Peter is very talented and has proven to be consistent. his work for his own line has always been clean and neat and i am very positive about the collaboration with blass.
ive been buying both labels for few seasons now and had a feeling blass was planning a big move.
lets see how good it gets :smile:

Bill blass was a classy Man,
Peter is one of the most classy and respectful young designer here in NYC,
he worked at Bill before, I am unsure if he can carry on the exact kind of clothing that the house is known for, but maybe it is time for a change of direction, the brand really needs to appeal to a newer kind of client, I am exited to see what he will do.
A great match IMO.

As for Mr. Bastian, I dont know anything about him to make a comment, Since Bill Blass menswear was practically nothing to talk about, anything more than what exist now cant be bad...................

Sudden new blood among iconic 70's houses...very interesting.

one of the first things to happen is that Blass is planning a fur collection now...

this fall is full of fur!

Peter Som as Creative Director of Bill Blass

Hi,
I am a great fan of Peter Som collections.

I was wondering what others thought about him now he is Creative Director in Bill Blass and what and how he will influence in Bill Blass FW show next month

Last edited by a moderator:
merged with the previously existing thread...

I'm not too familiar with Michael Bastian, but I adore Peter Som, and Bill Blass is in desperate need for a makeover.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
neverchiu
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->