René Magritte

iperlchen

daisy in my lazy eye
Reaction score
"My painting is visible images which conceal nothing; they evoke mystery and, indeed, when one sees one of my pictures, one asks oneself this simple question 'What does that mean'? It does not mean anything, because mystery means nothing either, it is unknowable." René Magritte

I was just scanning a few of my favorite paintings + collages and noticed there was a thread missing :innocent:

1926 - Le Conquérant :smile:heart: a plank in suit, it's unevitably fascinating to me)
deveroveraar9en.jpg

[scanned from the book 'Magritte - Catalogue of the Exhibition']

I'm fascinated almost more by her words than the painting itself... "mystery means nothing"? I would say the question, "What does it mean?" is one of the most important things one can ask.

If her paintings "evoke mystery" which this one definitely does, then I think it does mean something. To me, a piece of artwork will mean nothing if it evokes nothing. It just seems like she contradicts herself. But that's what makes this painting so fascinating to me now...

Mysterious indeed...:P She proclaims mystery has no meaning, I make my muddled sense of that by figuring, As long as the question 'What does that mean?' remains unanwsered it hasn't one, and remains a mystery, thereby indirectly rendering mystery meaningless. :P

Though I really have no idea :lol:, I just wanted to post my favorite :heart::

ev9cu1.jpg

rosart.biz

Last edited by a moderator:
oh, great tread. I just went to belgium and at the national gallery in brussels they had a huge room of magritte-paintings, it was great! he was belgian right?--i suppose thats why there were so many painting by him there. anyway, i bought a book about him that I still haven't had a chance to read and that i actually totally forgot all about, but now that this thread reminded me of him again, I'll be sure to get started on it next week :D and bwt, my favorite one is this one http://www.leninimports.com/f962-magritte.jpg (sorry for the link, but i haven't figured out how to post pictures yet!)

Great thread, thanks perlefine :heart:

I love Magritte's stuff, it's the kind of trippy thing I'd dream about then have a weird feeling waking up...something quite dark and confusing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
inafrombaki
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->