Rent the Runway

ChrissyM

girl who fell to earth
Reaction score
Has anyone tried this site? I like the concept...

i don't know if it would necessarily work for me because i have an overabundance of dresses i could wear to events at any given time (my closet is well stocked and i somehow continue to add more dresses even when i don't need them :rolleyes:)

anyway, the idea with this site is that you can rent a dress for 4-8 days (i believe), with prices ranging from $50 - $250+ depending on the retail price of the dress and they'll send you a couple sizes of the dress in case you're not sure about the fit...

could be great for the times when you need a dress that you can/will only wear once and you want to look great...

they offer stuff from tons of designers that range from alice + olivia to robert rodriguez, yigal azrouel, diane von furstenburg, proenza schouler, matthew williamson, temperly, herve leger... the list goes on and on...

i think i'd be too nervous to try something like this just because i'm such a "try on" person and wouldn't want to risk spending up to a couple hundred dollars on a dress that i would just have to give back and that there is no guarantee i would actually wear or that it would fit or suit my body.

any thoughts about this sort of thing?
i like the idea much better than those bag rental sites i have to say....

Honestly, with sites like theoutnet.com giving people access to $250 designer dresses to keep, it seems like such a waste to rent a dress. Well especially if you're not going rent a high end piece.
I think it's probably really good for people who have no sentimental attachment to their clothing. It would never work for me because I LOVE ( :P ) my dresses and 250 is money that could go towards something awesome.

But as a one off i think it's a really good idea. Like sometimes i feel a tacky urge to wear Cavalli (recently i've found a few of his pieces really appealing and have had to kick myself). This site would be an awesome opportunity to just wear one and get it out of my system. However, if you're going to lots of events, the cost will really add up.

It's probably best for people like Tinsley Mortimer but then she probably gets free stuff!

The bag rental concept ...i just don't understand that?!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm glad you started this thread...

Has anyone where used Rent the Runway? I have a ton of semi-formal events coming up for graduation so I'm considering getting a dress or two from there but I'm curious about people's experiences.

^^i feel like that's the sort of situation where a site like this would work...

justlooking i feel like you kind of hit the nail on the head with your comments
i definitely feel emotional attachments to my clothes/shoes/bags etc and if i loved the piece on me i would have a really hard time with the idea that i had to give it back and that i would have to pay more money to wear it again....

i find such great dresses for less than the rental prices so i don't think this site would be worth my trying...

but i also totally agree with your cavalli comments :P
i feel like that site would be helpful in having a herve leger or some other one-off moment where you KNOW you would never wear the dress again, or at least not wear it enough to justify the retail price.

I have a wedding to go to and this is perfect!! I would rather just rent something instead f buy a dress I will probably never wear again. I signed up but they are not taking new members yet. Hopefully I will get access in time for the event I'm going to next month!

i just got an email with a code for first time renters..

if you try it this month they'll send you a second dress in two sizes for free (not sure if you have to get all of them at the same time or if you can reserve your free dress selection for later)

i know the month is almost over but you type TRYRTRAPRIL as a promo code upon checkout

I just rented a couple of dresses for a rehearsal dinner and wedding next month. I will let you know how it goes. I looked at their facebook page and it seems that people are really happy with the service.

oooh yes, definitely report back... i want to know which dresses you rented! :woot:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
neverchiu
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->