RIP Queen Elizabeth II - 1926-2022

As an American, I strangely feel far more moved/saddened at Elizabeth’s passing than any of our heads of state. 70 years of service. She was an institution. Very sad day.

^ same! I’m just shocked! (yes, I know she was 96!)

^^ They chose a good picture!

RIP. :heart:

(and.. can I be that person?: how cool if we were officially entering a Diana as a Queen consort era..)

Reactions: KoV
May she rest in peace. She indeed was a great historical figure and it's actually quite shocking to think that she's truly gone.

The Queen was a living thread of history. When people are no longer around who remember the reality of living through things like WW2, then it becomes an abstract concept in a history book, easily reduced down to a few sentences, and thereby dismissed. “Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

I'm sure people are crawling over themselves online to see who can say the most outrageous things, without a shred of self-awareness of how their ten-second take on social media measures up against nine decades of life spent as a public figure, seventy years in service, still working two days before your death.

she's been around for so long her passing feels almost surreal. she represented continuity with the past that can't be replaced.

rest in a well deserved peace, her majesty. :heart:

This represents the end of an era. It has been a strange past day thinking about how this country/the world will move on without a steadfast figurehead who may have been tame and reserved, but open-hearted and minded with all at the same time. I'm not convinced there will be a public figure like her again, in terms of integrity and likeability, regardless of one's perception of the monarchy. RIP.

Two days later and I'm still in a total state of shock. It still doesn't seem quite real that HM Queen Elizabeth II has passed, despite the news channels reporting nothing else and people talking of nothing but. What a sad and eerie few days it has been here in England.

Even sat watching King Charles III being proclaimed as UK monarch earlier today felt like a scene from a movie and far from our reality. I did think Kate and William reuniting with Harry and Meghan earlier outside Windsor Castle and greeting the adoring crowds was a nice moment.

What a truly remarkable woman Queen Elizabeth II was. May she rest in perfect peace! :heart:

I don't have the best knowledge to go into great detail, but the way some people are still jumping for joy that she died and are making jokes about her going to hell because of her role in "colonialism" is weird and misplaced. And gives me anxiety. True there were some pretty not good things that were done under her reign, but she wasn't the British government. She was an icon for the country that was like good for tourism. There are many other people to be angry with and blame for things that Britain has done.

There are plenty of 'empires' scattered across the world right now that are seen to be claiming land, resources and people's lives, imagine the difference people could make today, if they directed their energies towards those situations, if such a cause is truly close to their hearts.

While there are of course people with personal and familial histories tied to British colonial rule who could be understandably unmoved by her passing because of who she represents to them*, the vast majority of the hateful reactions I saw were from people completely ignorant of history and without a personal connection, jumping on the hate bandwagon. The outright fabrications about what she's done were amazing, you'd think she had personally colonized the world, implemented apartheid, and enslaved millions. There were photos of Wallis Simpson greeting Hitler and such being circulated and mislabeled as Elizabeth instead of Wallis. And they were getting *lots* of traction. Nearly every young, white, left-leaning person I know was quick to lecture everyone else on social media as to why she shouldn't be mourned. It's just ridiculous.

* I've also seen people from those very places who loved Elizabeth and viewed her as a maternal figure, so I'm not saying this is a universal reaction

Last edited:
It really does feel like a link with the past has been lost, she lived a life of immense privilege but also in her way of duty. I don't think many of us would have wanted to swap our lives for hers, but I did admire her old-school granny sensibility, it's sad to think of her generation dying out, there are things that will go with them that I fear we're all poorer for.

I don't have the best knowledge to go into great detail, but the way some people are still jumping for joy that she died and are making jokes about her going to hell because of her role in "colonialism" is weird and misplaced. And gives me anxiety. True there were some pretty not good things that were done under her reign, but she wasn't the British government. She was an icon for the country that was like good for tourism. There are many other people to be angry with and blame for things that Britain has done.

late but as someone with ancestry from a former 'colony', I agree.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pappagallo
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->