San Francisco Street Style

.francesca

about to fall or fly
Reaction score
can we start one up? i just moved out of sf and i miss it. i know some of you are there right now, get it started and when i move back, hopefully soon, i'll help out.

the main styles I see are hipsters (mission area) and urban hipsters (haight). Maybe I'll go around a take some pics of people after work clears up (I work at a mag, going to press next week..its hetic!)

there are hipsters everywhere, mission is a good place to find them. just hang out at taqueria cancun on mission and 19th (i think? incidentally the best vegetarian burrito on the west coast) and you'll see a few.

what magazine do you work at?

I work for planet magazine (which is located coincidentally on mission :P)

speaking of which. Time to go to work! argghhhhhhhh

i'll also try to take some pics, but i work on union square, the touristy area. sometimes i see a few dressy types, because my office is on maiden lane, where marc jacobs, chanel, & ysl are.

kimair said:
i'll also try to take some pics, but i work on union square, the touristy area. sometimes i see a few dressy types, because my office is on maiden lane, where marc jacobs, chanel, & ysl are.

Kimair, do you work at an agency? If so, it is possible your company works with my company...

I work in the financial district and people dress pretty conservatively and boringly, IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
mouko said:
I work for planet magazine (which is located coincidentally on mission :P)

speaking of which. Time to go to work! argghhhhhhhh

my friend kelly works at planet! we were both photo majors at sfsu and part of an art collective. i love that magazine! what an awesome job.

Last edited by a moderator:
tangerine said:
Kimair, do you work at an agency? If so, it is possible your company works with my company...

I work in the financial district and people dress pretty conservatively and boringly, IMO.

i work at an ad agency...the creatives here dress pretty cool, the guys especially. everyone else is very conservative.

.francesca said:
my friend kelly works at planet! we were both photo majors at sfsu and part of an art collective. i love that magazine! what an awesome job.

Kelly Steblay (sp?)? She's my homieeeee. I'm sad she moved! Are you talking about that art thing that showeed at someones house? cause I did a piece for that last year. Did you go? I forget what it was called.

I'm the illustrator...and i'm gonna be working allll night tonight :(

I was just in San Francsico today.

There are a lot of hipsters with their ipods. However there are also many well-dressed men, and women. Either on the conservative spectrum or the high fashion end. And not to be biased but many of the gay men in San Francisco dress very well.

There were some sales at the dept. stores so I went to take a look.

Wow! So many people work at Planet Mag? My friend Davy works there as well! Where are the best places to shop in SF? I'm planning to move there real soon.

sassandviolet said:
Wow! So many people work at Planet Mag? My friend Davy works there as well! Where are the best places to shop in SF? I'm planning to move there real soon.

ahhh it's been me, davy and the art director carolina late in the night these past few days. I cant wait till it goes to press so i can just crashhhh. It's 6am and i'm still up doing work! TFS is keeping me a little sane.

As for shopping, my favorite place is American Rag on Van ness and geary I believe. It's a vintage botique/high end retailer. A lot of good vintage finds if you're too lazy to dig around thrift stores but you pay a bit more obviously. They also carry a lot of good high end designer stuff, though the names tend to vary every season.

mouko said:
Kelly Steblay (sp?)? She's my homieeeee. I'm sad she moved! Are you talking about that art thing that showeed at someones house? cause I did a piece for that last year. Did you go? I forget what it was called.

I'm the illustrator...and i'm gonna be working allll night tonight :(

yes, kelly steblay! she's awesome.that art collective we were in was called the marshall project, i only did one show with it because i moved shortly thereafter..it was called "borders, confinements and limitations" and kelly and i did a collaborative photo project together. if you went to that one, it was the one with different sized photographs mounted in the corner. did you do a piece for the show that had size requirements? i couldn't make it to that show but i heard it was awesome.

anyway, i'm a photographer and living in canada now, so if planet is ever doing a story on halifax or anything let me know...i'd be delighted to contribute to that magazine! it's always so beautifully designed. and the illustrations are so amazing.

did kelly move out of sf? she and her boyfriend max had such an awesome apartment on alamo square park!

Aww how sweet! Davy is such a dear. I can imagine how hectic it must be right before a magazine is published! I aspire to work in the magazine/fashion industry too. Hope you all are doing well, TFS provides a nice little sanctuary, doesn't it? Thanks for the tip, I've heard some good things about that shop so I'll be sure to check it out!

the crossroads stores all over the city are also pretty good..can sometimes be overpriced, but generally have some nice stuff. also, for shoes, there are 3 shoe biz stores on haight street alone, and a new one opened up in noe valley. they have some awesome shoes! subterranean shoe room just got bought out by shoe biz, but i'm not sure if they kept the same location on valencia or not.

Where are all the pictures?

Hehe.

I've only been to San Francisco a few times and never long enough to really enjoy it. I did find a bunch of goodies in Chinatown though, but mainly edibles so those were gone in a snap.

yeah! the sf contingent of this forum better start posting in photo-town. i'll have to go back and do it myself!

i say we resurrect this thread. hear-ye hear-ye!
it's a new year. what are the kids in the mission wearing? i'm sure just taking pictures of your classmates at the art schools could suffice. i definetly saw general trends when i lived there. what about the castro? pacific heights? noe valley? what part of town to you guys live in?

very cool. i lived in sf too and yes, haight and american rag are the absolute best. too bad that i moved into a sad sad burb.

there tends to be tons of "hipsters" along haight but some of them are very cool and dress exceptionally well also. i find it hard to catch the fashionably conservative types unless i am about in neiman or tiffanys.

ah, i cannot jump into the thread and say i am acquainted with any of these people, considering that i am quite young myself but planet mag has awesome poems and the likes.

cool to see some fellow san franciscoians.

Hey guys, I lived in Noe Valley (hense my user name) and totally adored every moment I spent there. I worked for Macys West, so everyone there was very stylish and cutting edge in the fashion offices.

I love the mixed styles that city can produce: Tailored in the Financial, Trendy in Union Square (as well as a few fanny-packs and visors from the tourists), Hippie in the Mission/Haight, and there's nothing like running into a Leather Parade in the Castro.

Miss that city like crazy...say 'hi' to it for me:cry:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Figedifug
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->