Sex and the City/And Just Like That... (HBO Series)

Everybody says that Carrie's immature... I've never found her to be this way... <shrug>

really? that's interesting actually.

i don't know i guess i'm a bit reserved, and this is as all of you have pointed out a drama, so i guess she has a right to be dramatic. she's a character after all.

but the thing is, i don't think she portrays a woman in real life. i absolutely understand that it's a show and it's not suppose to be parallel to real life, but i think it's a bit unrealistic.

first of all, she has an apartment that is relatively large, which with her salary, would be impossible to pay.

second of all, her shoe collection is massive and is probably worth 1/2 a million (i read this in time magazine or something i think) and in real life, a vogue writer wouldn't afford such a thing.

i think she is immature, because for example, when she went to paris with the russian, she tagged along and got all of these expensive objects showered at her, but she still complained and broke it off after telling him that he never spends time with her. i think that's immature.

i understand that she was a bit down that the russian wasn't paying attention, but at the museum scene, he was just concentrating on work not ignoring her outright.

chiangsi1980 said:
Well, I'll just look at Sex and City for what it is - just a TV show :flower:

I must admit that SJP's character acts a bit too cutesy for her age, but I really like the clothes she worn in the sixth (last) season, which imho, was the best stylistically :smile:
I agree
The clothes she wore in the last season were better than all the other cities..
season 6 got mature and like you said it's just a TV show..I don't think it portrays NY women or Women in any sense. We are all individuals.
I watched it mainly for fashion..Loved the clothes

hotpinky said:
perhaps I'm not a new yorker, although I did live in Manhattan for a year, but what's the big deal? I don't think people assume all NYers are like that-- although I think it would be fun if they were... it's like... Full House. I don't assume that all people from San Francisco are like the Tanner family. (HA) Nor do I assume that all New Yorkers are like the characters on Friends!

I think it's a little silly (and annoying to the rest of us) to think that all people are thinking these things about you. Come on. And, on the off chance that they are, so what?

Furthermore, if you do live in New York, how often can you really hear comments about being like the characters on Sex and the City? Unless you travel often, or fraternize with people who are from out-of-state and ignorant... I can't imagine you run into a lot of people who have the misconception that you're just a sex and the city clone. Unless you talk to a lot of people online who ask you questions, in which case, HAHAHA

Additionally, I AM a columnist, and I hear all the time, "Oh, are you trying to be all Sex and the City?" Of course I'm not. But it doens't bother me when people ask or assume that I am... I don't have to prove myself or defend myself to anyone. I am who I am, and I'm not insecure enough to let a little TV show get to me. :flower:

Well said..You are who you are!
We all are..Nobody can define you but yourself:flower:

I think all the comments on the show being unrealistic are silly.. really, most shows once you think about it, are unrealistic... that's what made this show so great. The extremes...

Erin said:
Everybody says that Carrie's immature... I've never found her to be this way... <shrug>

The thing that annoyed me the most was how they made Carrie SO self-absorbed, and SO selfish.

There are sooo many examples, but basically from Seasons 3 and on it was like, any table scene would play out exactly like this: Someone brings up a problem they're having, and Carrie INTERRUPTS and takes over the floor by talking about a really trivial problem for the rest of the whole time, and everyone else has to listen.

Problems that the other girls had:
- Charlotte's husband did not want to have sex with her- she married the wrong man
- the new man that Charlotte wants to marry - Harry - dumps her
- Charlotte has a miscarriage
- Sam has cancer :cry: :cry: :cry:
- Sam fears she might have Aids
- Miranda is pregnant and doesn't know what to do
etc.

Problems that Carrie complained about
- My Russian boyfriend is too romantic with me :shock:
- I lost my shoes :shock:
- My boyfriend wants to marry me :shock:
- My boyfriend wants to buy my apartment :shock:
- my exboyfriend wants to buy my apartment :shock:

OH GOODDDD LOOOOORRD

One of the best examples is when Charlotte wants to announce she's engaged to Harry. This is a BIG deal. Last thing they heard, Harry had dumped her and broken her heart and this was the man she KNEW she wanted to spend her life with. Then he sees her at the jewish dating function and proposes! Plus, CHarlotte has been obsessed with getting married all of her life.

Guess what Carrie does? She brings the goddamn post-it to dinner that Berger dumped her on, and when Charlotte shows them the engagement ring, Carrie SLAPS her hand with the post it and says "Paper covers rock."

Oh lorrrrrrrrd. Instead of caring about her friend's engagement, she whines about how she wants to get high and how Berger dumped her even though she wanted to dump him too.

And then when she DID pay attention to the engagement, she interrupts some random woman's engagement party to talk about Charlotte?!??!?!!? Why???????

Anytime anyone had a REAL problem to talk about, Carrie would interrupt and whine about something really annoying. If I think of more examples, I'll tell you.

Erin said:
I think all the comments on the show being unrealistic are silly.. really, most shows once you think about it, are unrealistic... that's what made this show so great. The extremes...

Some people like television to relate to, and that's not silly.:shock: Some people like television that shows them the pain and lifestyles and relationships that they experience are normal and common among the human population, and that's not silly :shock: . I want to see people on television that are like me and my friends... and that's not silly.

oolie coco said:
I want to see people on television that are like me and my friends... and that's not silly.

No, that's not silly... but that's called reality TV.

I watch this show and don't even think of comparing my life or how life really is with the show. It's pointless to do that. I watch it, I love it, and realize they are characters that are entertaining. The fact that I can't relate to them is what makes it so great to watch the show, or any show... it's my entertainment, it's my chance to step away from my life.

And you mentioned a few points on Carrie... the writers have her chime in simply to keep the story line going. For instance, with Charlotte and her getting married... that keeps the viewer for about a minute... but they can't just focus the show on only Charlotte. I'm sure you've noticed that whenever the girls eat together, one will be talking about something, and then another will bring up something completely different.

Most television shows are catered to its viewers. I watch drama on television because, personally, I don't like drama in my real life...

hmm i completely understand erin, but the thing is, i don't like reality tv. so i enjoy watching realistic drama. does that make sense?

i'm not really a person who can sit back and watch a show that is just too unrealistic for me.

I completely agree. I enjoy shows that I can relate to somehow. If I can't relate, it's boring.

i started watching the show just for the sake of it (and to have a real opinion about it) and i actually find it pretty boring :unsure: , apart from the bad acting and terrible scripts, it's almost like reading an article on cosmopolitan, which i'm sure a lot of people find entertaining but i dont..maybe because i just cant identify with anything at all..

I agree with Mullet. I watched one episode and pretty much cringed throughout most of it for its immature/pervy humour, bad acting and primitive storyline..:ermm:

Last edited by a moderator:
For the last few years, the stupid puns and Carrie's awful jokes were desperately trying to ruin whatever good was left of the show (basically, the other 3 actors).

omg im so shockd :woot:
I looove sex and the city i think its really great, I just brought the shoebox (all the episodes) so im going though it all at the moment with my friend and we love it. I cant believe so many people hate it.

O yeh just to let you know im from england and i dont know any new yorkers, iv been to new york twice and been other places in america and i totally dont compare you to them.

i miss sex and the city. it was one of my fav shows. i thought it was very humorous and just out there in a sense. i dont' take the show seriously, but i still enjoy it very much. i don't understand why people say 'desparate house wives' is the new sex and the city. they're totally different. 'desparate house wives' reminds me of night time soap opera.

^ Totally. Quite honestly, DHW does nothing for me. Sex and the City is very much more.. geared to me, I think. :wink:

i miss SATC too, loved their humor. DHW has nothing on them.

oolie coco said:
The thing that annoyed me the most was how they made Carrie SO self-absorbed, and SO selfish.

There are sooo many examples, but basically from Seasons 3 and on it was like, any table scene would play out exactly like this: Someone brings up a problem they're having, and Carrie INTERRUPTS and takes over the floor by talking about a really trivial problem for the rest of the whole time, and everyone else has to listen.

Problems that the other girls had:
- Charlotte's husband did not want to have sex with her- she married the wrong man
- the new man that Charlotte wants to marry - Harry - dumps her
- Charlotte has a miscarriage
- Sam has cancer :cry: :cry: :cry:
- Sam fears she might have Aids
- Miranda is pregnant and doesn't know what to do
etc.

Problems that Carrie complained about
- My Russian boyfriend is too romantic with me :shock:
- I lost my shoes :shock:
- My boyfriend wants to marry me :shock:
- My boyfriend wants to buy my apartment :shock:
- my exboyfriend wants to buy my apartment :shock:

OH GOODDDD LOOOOORRD

One of the best examples is when Charlotte wants to announce she's engaged to Harry. This is a BIG deal. Last thing they heard, Harry had dumped her and broken her heart and this was the man she KNEW she wanted to spend her life with. Then he sees her at the jewish dating function and proposes! Plus, CHarlotte has been obsessed with getting married all of her life.

Guess what Carrie does? She brings the goddamn post-it to dinner that Berger dumped her on, and when Charlotte shows them the engagement ring, Carrie SLAPS her hand with the post it and says "Paper covers rock."

Oh lorrrrrrrrd. Instead of caring about her friend's engagement, she whines about how she wants to get high and how Berger dumped her even though she wanted to dump him too.

And then when she DID pay attention to the engagement, she interrupts some random woman's engagement party to talk about Charlotte?!??!?!!? Why???????

Anytime anyone had a REAL problem to talk about, Carrie would interrupt and whine about something really annoying. If I think of more examples, I'll tell you.

I am in 100% agreement with this post. By the end of the series, Carrie had become THE most selfish, self-absorbed pain in the *** ever. It would infuriate me the way she would interrupt her friends to make "clever" little "quips" about herself and her own issues. Bad writing, folks! Close women friends are not like that. Close women friends listen and empathize. Women who truly love and care about each other do not try to "one-up" each other along the lines of the "paper covers rock" conversation mentioned above.

Also, the way Carrie was with men became absolutely nauseating toward the end. At the beginning of the series, she seemed much more honest and comfortable in her own skin. In the last couple seasons, it was all about cutesy talk and, again, the "clever" little "quips" and sound bytes. She was no longer an intelligent, confident woman having real conversations with men. She became this coy, whining, eyelash-batting, baby-talking idiot. I was SO disappointed in the writers (and sort of in SJP) for that.

I really feel that what started out as a really interesting and edgy show just degenerated into cliched nonsense after a while.

Still, it had its funny and touching moments, and I watch the reruns religiously, because for all the annoying aspects of it, it's still entertaining.

:rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peytontung
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->