Sport Couture: What Is It???

kerberos

Reaction score
Dear fellow members, I would be curious to read your definitions of the notion of "Sport Couture" (women's and men's)!

Is there any such thing as "Sport Couture"? If yes, what is it about? What are the brands (obviously luxury since they have to be "couture" brands") that are involved in "Sport Couture"? Is "Sport Couture" an up and coming trend?

Is "Sport Couture" the same as Sport Chic? Etc.

Thank you!!!

Thank you! So what you are hinting at is the fact that couture contradicts sport? In the early days, however, did not couture start with sport?

Chanel, Schiaparelli, Jean Patou, Jeanne Lanvin...

couture? sport?

couture is just basically the art of making clothes. what makes you believe that "couture" started with sport?

Actually Couture (if it's used as an abreviation for Haute Couture) is [SIZE=-1]the term for the clothing that designers create for an exclusive market of individual customers and exclusive boutiques that will be made to each customer's measurements.

That means (IMO) that the owners of some sport brands use the therm couture just to ''tell'' their clients that their products are as good as products made in Haute Couture, because we all know that the products (like fabric) used for Haute Couture are of the best quality, so IMO that's why they use the therm Sport Couture.
[/SIZE]

20060901WAP_sharapovacombo_230.jpg

this
is sport couture. lol!B) Maria's custom made "little black dress".

credit:www.post-gazette.com

maybe this has nothing to do with actual sports
clothing for playing sports is called activewear (not sport wear)
sportswear is just clothing used for everyday...
it's mix and match
easy clothing
(maybe american clothing?)

i think regarding the original Chanel, i do remember reading about something concerning 'sport' in her designs
that she maybe was the one to start it for women? sportswear
it's very easy to live in clothing
you can move in it, you don't worry too much about walking over it, getting it dirty etc
"real" clothes, if i can say that :smile:

gius, i love the way you explained it!!! couldn;t have done it better myself.:flower:

maybe this has nothing to do with actual sports
clothing for playing sports is called activewear (not sport wear)
sportswear is just clothing used for everyday...
it's mix and match
easy clothing
(maybe american clothing?)

i think regarding the original Chanel, i do remember reading about something concerning 'sport' in her designs
that she maybe was the one to start it for women? sportswear
it's very easy to live in clothing
you can move in it, you don't worry too much about walking over it, getting it dirty etc
"real" clothes, if i can say that :smile:
you're making a mistake. sportswear (especially in america) has nothing to do with everyday clothing. some sportswear items are worn every day. t-shirts are sportswear. technical jackets are sportswear.

only at conservative brands does sportswear mean everyday, non-business attire. a polo or oxford shirt, for example, is called sportswear (this is in fact just outdated "activewear").

sport couture as i've seen it is attempting to stylize what you define as "activewear" e.g. RLX, Polo sport, nautica, Bikkembergs, Chanel sport. Out of these, though, i think Bikkembergs is the only one to bother with a runway show.

funny how everyone's interpretation is different.

GENERAL TOPIC: Thank god we all agree on what haute couture is.
Let's remember anyway that the beginnings were not about Geishas and Egyptians like the ones galliano shows. Couture was for the women who wanted the best clothing available. Just like men who dress in nothing but tailored clothing. Nothing but couture therefor means that couturiers would do besides the very famous gowns, everydaywear (exactly what other people could call streetwear or SPORTSwear)
At this point there was couture, and the rest of clothing lines (not including affordable mass market) that may not deserve a specific name at that moment.

With that said, from my point of view the word sportswear has evolved radically through decades, acquiring new connotations that had to do not so much with the use of the clothing, but with it's quality.

Couture still was (and will always be) couture, and pretty much the rest (those clothing lines) were called ready-to-wear.

Again new changes were introduced, the market evolved and ready-to-wear changed by growing a lot. Ready-to-wear was very general word that includes eveningwear and daywear/everyday/street/sports (all the same). So yet to be more accurate as the market is getting big and one word is not enough, daywear, as the part of ready-to-wear becomes nowadays casualwear

ON TOPIC: The first thing i thought of when i saw this tittle is of lines or labels like Chanel sports, or Moncler Gamme Rouge. both of them claim to do the most luxurious clothing for ski and apres-skiwear, golf, horseback riding…
a higher level than regular activewear used for all other sports.

Just to finish, notice how the meaning turns to use again (SPORTS) but with a worldwide quality reference (COUTURE)

Lots of names and lots of slightly different connotations that depend on the moment in history of fashion, and what we are considering (all the market, part of it, quality, use of the garment…)

In conclusion of this hot mess of boldwears, this is how i would divide the different lines nowadays

Couture (only certain labels can use this name as the CSCP stablishes)
Ready to wear
-Eveningwear
-Casualwear
-Sportswear
(including sports couture for the highest level labels)
Mass market (the big affordable companies)
Activewear (technological, specific for sports, only functionality and best performance is required)

FAB20_1007_Moncler_Gamme_Rouge-de.jpg

moncler
moncl2.jpg

moncler
322.jpg

chanel
images of example from harpersbazaar, fashionblog.it, modeblog.com

everyone's interpretation is different because it is NOT REAL>..
it is a made up term -

as bidwell says...
hype for designer (read-expensive) activewear

so NO-
it doesn't really exist...

that makes sense...

i heard designers nowadays use those special technical fabrics from activewear
something very thin but keeps you very warm
i think it was called microfibres

i wonder if Prada Linea Rossa is like that

Uh...

We're clearly VERY bored.

It doesnt exist. When I hear Sport COuture I think of Bikkembergs.

true...:lol:...

but i LOVE the moncler coats that borja posted...:P

:heart:

^ Agreed. Alessandra Facchnetti designed Moncler Gamme Rouge...That stuff is TO DIE FOR its so gorgeous. I can only hope she blows us away at Valentino.

everyone's interpretation is different because it is NOT REAL>..
it is a made up term -

as bidwell says...
hype for designer (read-expensive) activewear

so NO-
it doesn't really exist...

hahahaha you can't possibly believe that, can you? if people interpret something differently then it isn't "real"? waaaaaaaack.

i do agree that it is designer "activewear" (activewear isn't a great term, why dont we just say "exercise clothes") but that isn't really a good description. are designer swim trunks "sport couture"? what about CdG Speedo? there is supposed to be some tie to sport culture, isn't there? at least that's what i see in Bikkembergs...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Inale
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->