The 4-5 piece French wardrobe #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
^ You should go for the brown one, unless if green is your favorite color. That shade of green looks quite trendy and easy to get tired of... you certainly wouldn't want to replace your bag every season!

^Ah true... while I love that color green it probably won't remain popular or in my wardrobe for long. So brown it is! Thanks :flower:

green is very sophisticated art school punk. see marc by marc jacobs fall 2008. if that's your style by all means! =) does that satchel come in different sizes? we sold them at urban outfitters when i worked there and they were a tad to small at least the ones we were selling.

I read the explanatory post, so I have an idea of the concept, but don't know how to start...?

Basically, I'm tired of buying, buying, buying and with the current economic climate, there's no time like the present to get into a more frugal way of spending. My wardrobe is seriously my biggest expense. How do you guys plan your shopping - do you use budget plans as well?

green is very sophisticated art school punk. see marc by marc jacobs fall 2008. if that's your style by all means! =) does that satchel come in different sizes? we sold them at urban outfitters when i worked there and they were a tad to small at least the ones we were selling.

The bags come in several different sizes. I plan on getting the 15 inch so that way I can lug around my laptop. Unfortunately my style isn't what you'd call "sophisticated art school punk" more like English prep I suppose. So no green bag for me but that's okay I like the brown one as well. :smile:

I read the explanatory post, so I have an idea of the concept, but don't know how to start...?

Basically, I'm tired of buying, buying, buying and with the current economic climate, there's no time like the present to get into a more frugal way of spending. My wardrobe is seriously my biggest expense. How do you guys plan your shopping - do you use budget plans as well?

Sometimes I budget as well ... if I'm doing that, sometimes I'll further limit the number of pieces. It's not like I can't leave the house each day with the clothes that are in my closet. So since that is a primary concern for you, I would include a budget component as well. The primary goal of this approach is to have a wardrobe that really works, that pleases you, and that was money well spent. Saving money is an additional goal, but certainly doable.

I was going to tell you guys that I came across my very first wardrobe plan, for "Summer 1984" :D I had a color scheme (pink and grey), and that's when I bought my very first 'investment piece' (for $126, I wrote down all my actual expenditures too). I'd forgotten all about the sandals I bought that summer, but now I can remember how they smelled when I took them out of the box ... they had a grey suede lining.

^How do you start though? Do I start by purging or can I wait with that? The concept has a lot to do with having a base first - but what if you don't? How did people here start out?

I do budgets. I have monthly budgets for what I can and want to spend on clothes. Since I have two kids and a husband doing his PhD I must watch where our money goes. Clothes and accessories are something I love and never want to stop buying, but I also want to be clever and focused when I spend.

I also make lists for each season: What do I really need? What are the pieces that I really MISS when dressing? After that I also select two or three pieces per season that I don't need urgently but that I really love and want. I try to limit myself on those because there is no use of having 100 star pieces when the base isn't there.

I also write down what I expect to spend on the pieces. What do I want to spend on a pair of jeans, on a coat etc? If I find something that is more expensive I have to cut something else from the list.

I also have "no-spending" times like this month. When I know I just can't spend, no matter how absolutely gorgeous that sweater is :smile: The longer I try to limit myself the more I realize that there are ALWAYS pieces that make feel like I'll never again discover something so absolutely great. I really don't need to worry about not finding anything beautiful. I just have to watch myself that I'm only spending on really good pieces that make me feel like I really really need them and not on those "oh, this could look good pieces". Prioritize is for me the most important rule when shopping nowadays . And patience.

Last edited by a moderator:
^How do you start though? Do I start by purging or can I wait with that? The concept has a lot to do with having a base first - but what if you don't? How did people here start out?

I've had a few false starts. :lol: I think it helps if you have a fairly clear idea of what your style is and how you want it to develop, since this approach to the wardrobe doesn't exactly allow for limitless variety (but neither does it mean you have to dress the same every day - unless you want to). Different things work for different people, but when I had my wardrobe purge, I had three categories: 1) definite keepers, 2) definite get-rid-ofs (donate, sell, throw away if unwearable), and 3) not-sure-ofs that for the time being I stored separately from the definite keepers so I can pull items to be included in my wardrobe if I discover I need/want them after all (eventually, clothes from this category should find their way into the previous two).

No, you don't have to start with a purge.

I would start by buying a blank book for this project.

Do you already have a well-developed personal style? If yes, great. If no, or you want to evolve it, I would journal about that, and also make an inspiration board.

What I would suggest is that you start planning a capsule wardrobe for fall (assuming you're in the northern hemisphere). It helps to have 2 closets for this. Figure out a color scheme. Like cream, black, red ... that kinda thing. Whatever colors you want, a combination of neutral and accent colors. Pull pieces from your current closet to form the core of this wardrobe. If you are missing a core piece, write that down. Pull pieces from your current closet to be accent pieces. If you are missing a statement piece, write that down.

If you have things that are beyond repair (and don't be too hasty to assume they are), or that just don't work, or that make you feel bad in any way (this could be a negative association, or the item is unflattering to you, etc.), I would target those things for immediate dismissal. If you're not sure, there are places here to ask for advice about all of that. Lots of things can be fixed, but a negative association or black pants that are a lint roller for the universe, those must go.

Inspect the pieces you pull for use in your capsule wardrobe, and take them to the cobbler, cleaners, tailor as necessary. They need to be ready for duty. I have started asking for any shoes I take to be repaired to also be cleaned & polished (some will automatically do this, others don't).

Think about not just clothes, but shoes, bag, jewelry, makeup, and perfume ... all go into your 'look' for the season.

Now make a list of what you need/want. I like to keep it general, like 'statement heels to coordinate with color scheme.' Some things make sense to be very specific about ... 'wide leg black pants hemmed for heels.' It's OK to have a list longer than what you actually plan to buy. You can prioritize must-haves, and then other items you can buy as you find them. It's also good to leave yourself a little leeway for needs that crop up during the season ... this is fairly inevitable unless you already have a really deep wardrobe.

How does that sound?

i need to look into the different sizes of satchels. thanks yoniah.
i agree the brown is lovely and will go with everything.

Thanks to everyone who chimed in!

I was definitely thinking that I need an overview over my recent purchases - and maybe work on budgeting to keep my finances in check.

I'm sort of in between, regarding developing my own style. Or maybe the word is eclectic? There are so many styles that I like/admire so I have so many different styles. I need to work on that for sure.

Btw. Do you buy 4-5 pieces per season or per year?

This is just my version, but I actually did begin with a purge, and quite recently too. For me, the purge helped to clear my mind a little, and assisted me in finally taking stock of what I actually liked from my wardrobe. I currently have 5 huge sacks full of fast fashion, waiting to be sold, thrifted or simply thrown away. It may feel like waste at first, but for the majority of the items it is simply an act of recycling, and the chance of them actually being loved by someone else. The true waste was the crazy accumulation of them all in the first place, so the purge can function as a really motivating symbol.

I more or less began with nothing, no decent basics, and a haphazard concept of essentials. And essentials will (or ought to) vary for each individual - for instance, I suit short skirts more than jeans, even though I adore jeans and would wear them every day if I felt comfortable in them. It is largely about learning to suss out what looks best on you, then capitalising on that. Sort of striking a balance between comfort, style and flattering forms. It is also worth noting that one persons 'essential' could be another persons nightmare - so only purchase clothes that make you feel wonderful, that quicken your heart, instead of simply opting for a standard set of basics and essentials because our favourite blogger chooses them.

It doesn't always have to work out expensively either. My current outfits (which are slowly growing,because I had initially saved up quite a bit prior to the purge) combine a mix of mid range, moderately priced designer, and stuff from, say, River Island. Just avoid the cheaper fabrics unless the garment strikes you as worth it. Some synthetic fabrics are very durable and easy to care for, so it isn't all bad. Not all expensive items are fabulous, and not all cheap ones are unsuitable.
I've witnessed a few folks who have initially set out to decrease consumerism and create their ideal wardrobe only to find themselves caught up in another type of fixation - basically just transferring one problem to another, by cutting out fast fashion to replace it with an equally obsessive quest to buy designer. It is so easy to slip into, initially, and so perhaps there is an psychological element to take into consideration too.
Above all, learn to become aware of your motives, and don't be scared to leave items sitting in a shopping cart for weeks on end. Unless the items are from Topshop or have become an 'it' item, they are likely to still be there even months later...so no need to rush either.

Also, I can't imagine being able to plot how many pieces I would purchase per season. Perhaps this concept functions better as a marker than a rigid rule, I don't know. Sometimes we will require less updating than others. For example, I had very, very few tops and jumpers/sweaters, so have had to purchase a little more than usual to create a balance, to make sure that there are fresh options when a favoured garment is in the wash.

And if you manage to sell quite a few of your discarded items, you have the perfect excuse to splurge on the new ones - albeit more carefully and thoughtfully than previously. I imagine that it would eventually even out, and that learning how to shop from this new perspective will come with practice. I am hoping to be settled into it by spring!

Thanks to everyone who chimed in!

I was definitely thinking that I need an overview over my recent purchases - and maybe work on budgeting to keep my finances in check.

I'm sort of in between, regarding developing my own style. Or maybe the word is eclectic? There are so many styles that I like/admire so I have so many different styles. I need to work on that for sure.

Btw. Do you buy 4-5 pieces per season or per year?

It's 4-5 key pieces per season (2 per year). I bought more than that this season, but I've had multiple recent seasons where I haven't bought much. One could argue the meaning of 'key'--I tend to count everything but t-shirts. This past season I bought 9 pieces total:

1 pr denim trousers
1 pr cargos
1 shell
2 cardigans (1 SS, 1 3/4)
2 pr shoes
1 cap sleeve top
1 SS top

Also earrings, lingerie, small leather goods + makeup and perfume.

Last fall, all I bought was two tops, plus tights, watch bands, gloves, etc.

I've dropped three dress sizes this past year, going from a size 12/14 to an 8, which is a good and bad thing. Good because I feel better about myself and feel like I can wear more styles, but bad in that I had an amazing wardrobe which I can no longer wear. :(, right? Right.

So I made up this list. I already have a lot of things to wear for Autumn/Winter, most of which are hand-me-downs or altered to fit me from last year. I've already bought a navy wool jumper and teal silk blouse, as well as two pairs of pants and two skirts.

Here's the list:

Color Scheme:

Navy
Red
Camel
Accents of cream and green

5 Dresses
- Navy Jumper dress
- Red silk shirt dress
- Brown/pink tweed
- Navy wool dress
- Grey jersey roses dress

4 Tops
- Teal Silk button down
- Green silk wrap top
- Navy jersey top
- Red jersey top

6 Sweaters
- Pink Cashmere cowl neck
- Turquoise cashmere v-neck
- Red wool scoop-neck
- Camel ¾ sleeve pullover
- Navy pullover
- Cream pullover

4 Skirts
- Camel Pleated silk tweed skirt
- Navy miniskirt
- Green/rust kilt
- Long Green plaid skirt

2 Pairs of Pants
- Green Trousers
- Grey jeans

1 Navy Herringbone suit
1 Sky Blue Wool coat

2 Jackets
- Green leather jacket - Must see if it can be taken in (It was the definition of an investment piece, and now it’s far too big!)
- Navy boyfriend blazer

9 Pairs of Shoes
- Black/White penny loafers
- Black Suede heels
- Brown ankle boots
- Green suede knee-high boots
- Black motorcycle boots
- Silver wedge heels
- Black patent sensible-heeled shoes (1-ish” high)
- Navy heels
- Red penny loafers

4 Bags
- Red/Camel otrich handbag
- Navy leather purse
- Brown leather handbag
- Black heart-shaped cross-body bag
- Deep green tote

In italics are things I need to buy.
In bold are things I have the fabric for, I just have to make up (I sew!).

Any suggestions or comments?

I do not think I did the best job on my first season with the 4-5 piece wardrobe but it is okay. I've tried it and now has an idea of how to make it work (true Tim Gunn style :D)

I've made a colourscheme for fall, and have an idea of how my outfits for fall is going to look. I've made a polyvore look with my AW11 "uniform", which is how I imagine looking most of the time. Not that exact outfit, but similar; a dress/skirt/pair of jeans with a short cardigan/jacket, a scarf and brogues, pumps, balletflats og booties.

I'm thinking jeweltones (green, purple, pink) and red colours but I think they will mainly be incorporated by using accesories (scarves, nailpolishes, tights) since I do not want to spend too much this fall.

11h7vyv.jpg

24lrnuf.jpg

I've already bought:

- A knitted cardigan
- Black brogues
- A green scarf (matches my colour scheme :wink:)

jq3hxg.jpg

4vsa4n.jpg

2iigzr7.jpg

I need (there's other thing that I might want, but this is what I truly need and should buy)
- Grey jeans. I do not plan on spending a lot of money on 'em, since I do not think expensive jeans are better than inexpensive jeans. Right now I'm looking at a pair from only and a pair from Cheap Monday. I can't seem to find the perfect wash though.
- A striped l/s tee. I've been looking for one since I started using this thread and still haven't found the perfect one. Right now I'm thinking about buying this one from American Apparel. Do any of you own it or know anything about American Apparels quality? I would rather buy an expensive tee that lasts longer, than a cheaper tee that needs to be replaced within half a year. I'm going to use it at least one time every week.

This already makes up for 5 items. I do, however, not count jeans and tees (they are basics in my wardrobe) and scarves are in the accesories category which I do not count neither. Trying not to make it too hard on myself in the beginning. This means I have 3 spaces left for statement pieces and what I might want.

ATM I have a pair of glitter JC Litas stading in my apartment, and I have to find out wether to keep them or not. I wasn't planning to buy them, but I found them on sale, and they were ridicolously cheap. The fact that they are in glitter doesn't bother me. I have no problem using them for everyday wear, but the responsible part of me are telling me that they are in NOW and may not continue being it. This doesn't bother me that much either. I have no problem walking around a last years trend shoe. Honestly, I've almost reached the conclusion, that I'm keeping it, since they're fabolous to walk in, and I have very few high heeled shoes that is suited for everyday use, comfort wise, and I feel fantastic in them, which is the most important part for me.

Also, I'm maybe doing a swap with a girlfriend; she gets my vagabond thelmas, that is more her style than mine, and I get a yellow midiskirt, which I adore.

Wow, that turned out to be a long post - I hope you will read it anyway :wink:

^also, if I should get tired of the JCs, they can be sold without loosing money.

^Personally I wouldn't buy American Apparel clothing. First off, they are a very unethical brand and have had many problems with the way they treat staff/models, etc. And I wouldn't want to buy into such a company. But secondly even if they didn't have these problems I still wouldn't buy it because the few times I've gotten something from them they started fraying and ripped only a few months after I bought them. But that's just my experience with the brand.
Also, I'd totally keep the JC shoes. I'm of the opinion of having one slightly not "sensible shoes" but they just make you feel great. Everyone should have one crazy fun piece in their wardrobe! :smile: Also, I really love your color scheme for fall Betinapple, I like the pops of color.

I forgot to add this question I had...
So I'm currently in the process of putting together my fall wardrobe. And I think I need a overhaul of my current wardrobe. Now that I'm looking at it, I have so many pieces which really aren't my style. So many bright pieces, patterns, styles that really aren't "me." I've done a lot of thinking of what I want to look like and even started compiling a binder of looks from magazines that I like and I want to incorporate into my style. And I suppose I'd call myself a mix of classic "English Rose" and a French girls style. I mean both a very similar but slightly different. The main pieces of my wardrobe that I always gravitate towards are florals (especially as patterns on dresses), stripes shirts (always been a wardrobe staple), cream light pinks and grey colors, and scarves. And I love these pieces but I have so many other clothes that don't go with this style. So any suggestions on how to get closer to my dream style? Mind you I'm on a bit of a budget so I can't spend a ton. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bellbell
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"