The 4-5 piece French wardrobe #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Twistelette: You better tell your browser to pull itself together because I need pictures! I love wearing multiple scarfs.

Me: I have been focusing on winter items for so long it feels so refreshing (and weird, almost) to be looking for "warmer weather clothes" (I'd say "summer", but I don't want to jinx it). My favorite cropped trousers are ready for retirement and I have been looking for replacements. I am thinking about getting one silk or linen pair in a shade of grey. I also need a new pair of black cropped trousers that I can also wear at work.

Spring/summer wish list:
- Grey silk/linen cropped trousers
- Black cropped trousers
- Tortoise sunglasses

Everything else can wait until autumn/winter, really.

^I tried that, but my browser doesn't respond to clicking the 'insert image' button anymore... or 'bold', or 'italics'...

@Barbaraa: not sure I was clear but those are what I already bought. I found a really cheap (23$) sweater and bought that in grey and dusty pink. They were marked down a lot.
I feel silly now :lol: you were clear, and I do remember you buying those sweaters! I'd misread it - I think my sinusitis is getting the best of me...

Eva, I also agree that blazers help dressing up a tee. As long as it's not a crew neck or anything, I feel like it works well enough.

Okay, I think we've fixed that "long sleeved blouse problem" for a while.

I received my By Malene Birger blouse that I ordered at farfetch. It was recently priced, silk and jersey and a draped style. I haven't worn much draped styles in my life but I start liking them more... I think they are so flattering! So this one fits and while it's not really a shirt (what I initially was looking for), I do think it will go perfectly for work. Plus it's a new style for me - I seem to be experimenting with new materials and cuts lately :wink:

dbcefaffac0ae3d629d89938c36d7923.jpg

Pic by farfetch.com

And... I must admit I ordered a second item. Since both were so reasonably priced it does feel okay though. Eizhowa pinned a outnet blouse on my recommendations board - and I really liked it. So since it was outnet, I just went ahead and ordered. I think it could work very well with several of my pieces and this completely solves any "long sleeved blouse / shirt" problem I had for now.

I must say though that I really liked the Equipment shirts that Ta-Ta pinned - an Equipment shirt might be something I'll try to get next season, or the season after... We'll see.

So this was my May shopping already. I think that's fine, I really needed that long-sleeved shirt. I think I could wait with the rest till the sales, since nothing is absolutely must-have now. I do want an evening bag but I think that's nothing I need to pay 800 Euros for, so I'll definitely wait and see if I can find something in the sales.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just ordered the other one this morning and the outnet does no express shipping, so it'll take several days. I'll let you know when it arrives.

I am so happy you liked the blouse, RedandNavy! I really wanted it for myself, but I don't suit deep/dark yellows. It is odd, but I feel like I am the one who bought it because I have that satiated post-shopping feeling...

I got my Balenciaga bag today and I have pretty much tried in on with all of my old clothes:rolleyes: I still feel quite "shopped-out" though.

I have been wonder if there is a connection between the desire not to shop as much and buying fewer, but high quality items that you love. Buying lots junk it is like eating mints to try to suppress your craving for chocolate cake. In the end you'll just have eaten too many mints and you'll still want the chocolate cake... And your wardrobe will be cluttered and your bank account empty:innocent:

R&N: that's a fab blouse. the shape/the silhouette it will make reminds me a little of your new sweater. hope it is as comfy and flattering! let us know when the other top arrives, I'm curious :smile:

eizhowa: YEAH!
(that was for the bag)
I have to think about the connection between slowing down the amount of shopping that you do - or the desire not to shop as much, and wanting to get high quality items. I mean, the connection is obviously there, but I think there's different 'routes' to take.

@Eva: you are perfectly right. Thank you :smile: I think it is good that you have quite a lot of blazers. That along with good shoes and a nice bag really adds something more elegant and work appropriate to an outfit even if you are just wearing jeans and a t-shirt. At least in my opinion. Do you have pictures of you existing wardrobe on pinterest?

@Twistelette: I love lipstick! It instantly makes me feel pretty and sexy even if I am having an off day. Great steal with those scarves! Love those kind of purchases.

@Eizhowa
: great and very modest list :wink: Great about the bag. Guess you will be very happy about it!

I must admit that in the beginning your "theory" did not apply to me. I started doing the 5pfw because I wanted the quality items, or, at that point I guess it was mostly the labels that fascinated me. But I still had the desire to buy, buy, buy, all the time. I had to force it on myself. These days it comes more naturally. I would never buy anything that would not last for more than a season and my subconsciense prevents me from buying anything that I am not sure that I will want to wear in a year or two if it its dated by then, because I do not want to spend my money on that. I want to create a wardrobe that lasts.

@Barbaraa:
no worries :flower: It can be somewhat hard to keep up with everyones wardrobes.

@Red: such a great blouse. The colour fits perfectly into your scheme. I love Malene Birger. She has the greatest and very feminine cuts. Looking forward to seeing the other blouse as well.

Me: I think I have decided, that if I stick through all of May without buying clothes I will go have that tatoo I have been wanting done. Using it as motivation should it get tough.

Okay. I know I have been whining about this for ages but I really have no clue what to do.

I do not feel I have needed a color scheme before now and for the past years I have mainly been buying neutrals anyway, but when I look at my clothes they are just pointing in so many directions. Not just color-wise but also according to style. For the past year I have started to wear more contemorary clothes but once in a while I still like to wear something 50s or 60s inspired. I do not want to choose and up until now I have been liking going "chameleon" but I have to admit that these days it sort of confuses me when getting dressed and composing outfits. I have no clue what to do.

I think know how you feel, Betina. Maybe your style is evolving and what used to be a perfect style fit just isn't you anymore? (Perhaps your wardrobe/style has reached puberty. It is probably feeling very awkward, isolated and insecure now:P)

Maybe you could focus on finding the "core" of your wardrobe and take it from there. Maybe if you identify what you love (or love the most ) in your wardrobe it will make more sense to you? Perhaps the retro pieces play a less dominant role now compared to before. I used to love vintage-inspired clothes and wear them daily, but now I prefer to save my vintage finds for dressy occasions and hot summer days when I can wear all vintage without it looking over-powering (because on hot summer days you wear very little clothes:wink:).

My impression of your wardrobe is that it is mainly composed of black/white and clear classic colors such as navy and red, and that you like more "fun" pieces.

I think know how you feel, Betina. Maybe your style is evolving and what used to be a perfect style fit just isn't you anymore? (Perhaps your wardrobe/style has reached puberty. It is probably feeling very awkward, isolated and insecure now:P)

Maybe you could focus on finding the "core" of your wardrobe and take it from there. Maybe if you identify what you love (or love the most ) in your wardrobe it will make more sense to you? Perhaps the retro pieces play a less dominant role now compared to before. I used to love vintage-inspired clothes and wear them daily, but now I prefer to save my vintage finds for dressy occasions and hot summer days when I can wear all vintage without it looking over-powering (because on hot summer days you wear very little clothes:wink:).

My impression of your wardrobe is that it is mainly composed of black/white and clear classic colors such as navy and red, and that you like more "fun" pieces.

Thank you for your post, made me laugh :lol:

I prefer vintage in the summer time as well. Mainly because dressing vintage-y in is not that easy in the winter. It is too cold.

I guess I am having a hard time getting used to me reaching for the contemporary clothes most of the times these days. Thought it was just a fase during winter bu I guess nowadays I feel more comfortable that way and it is a bit sad to see my love of vintage looks go since that always felt very "me". But ATM I guess "me" is the more classic yet modern looks.

Still contemplating if I should put some of my clothes in the attic especially now that I have gotten my shoe shelf up. It can hold 10 pairs and I have put up those that I wear the most or want to wear. So now I got to figure out what to do with the rest.

I just do not feel like putting them away because I guess I will not wear them. But that is kind of silly now that I do not wear them anyway, right?

I had a thought that the trouble might be due to my open wardrobe but I do not think that is it. If I had my clothes in a closet it would just be hidden but not gone.

I just do not think the problem will go away before I get rid of some of my clothes (and by that I mean putting them in another place for a start) but I am having a hard time figuring out what to let go.

Thank you so much for your good advice on this rather shallow matter :wink:

betina, as you know, I have two closets where I keep clothes, one of which is in my storage room. When my regular closet seems a bit full, I move off-season things to the storage closet.

Lately I've worn some things I hadn't worn in years ... the crewneck sweater I recently had to get rid of because it was worn out, I think there was a good long period where I didn't wear it. So just because you don't feel like wearing something now, doesn't mean you'll never want to again. You may in the future also find a new way of wearing it, perhaps with things you don't own yet.

Since this is bothering you, I'd take some things to the attic & see how it goes ... I would just promise that you'll trek right up there if you want something :wink:

Just wanted to add ... I think it's important to have some way of keeping track of what you have so that you don't duplicate it inadvertently. If you move it out of sight ... I think you may have digital records of everything?

@Ta-ta: I think you are definetely right. I started out easy yesterday by putting some bags and shoes up there. I was thinking about selling them but I am not sure that I want to put in the effort and like you said, maybe I will wear them someday.

I do not think I am at risk of duplicating. I have a pretty good memory of what I have and I have gotten things back into the rotation from the attic. Also I remembered that I had a denim dress that I am now turning into a skirt which has been on my wishlist.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ericbaig68
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->