The Art of Layering

Discussion in 'Personal Style' started by highheels, May 17, 2004.

1. Elegance.Is.Refusal.

mine always goes thicker over thinner...shorter over longer...bigger over smaller

so that your more comfortable and it works better!

and in the winter when you feel its too cold to wear those strappy tops you love stick a plain tee underneath or a plain turtle neck:heart:

2. PrinceOfCats

PrinceOfCats Naturellement pulpeuse

Saw one or two women in Paris wearing scoopneck tanks over racerback tanks this summer (black on grey).

3. i_<3_chanel

i_<3_chanel elementary.

evrythn i could think of has been said . . ! :flower:
    maybe smthn will come to be in a bit . . . :magic:

4. softgrey

softgrey flaunt the imperfection

great...
    what about colours and prints...
    any hints there about what works well together?...
    interesting or unusual combinations?...

thanks everyone...:flower:

5. Elegance.Is.Refusal.

i usually go for everything plain in either the same colour, contrasting colours, or colours that compliment.

if i go for prints i stick with a plain item and a print item! i never do loads of prints because i suck at putting them together:ninja:

6. softgrey

when you say 'plain'...you mean a solid colour right?...

7. Elegance.Is.Refusal.

8. Erin

Erin Iowa Girl Loves Fashion

Layering, one of THE best concepts.

The reason I layer is to slim an outfit out. I'm not tall and thin, but rather normal in height and ... fairly thin overall. But it adds length to me. When I layer, I use cheap tops from Old Navy... they had FANTASTIC ones this past season that didn't compare to anybody else's (who knew)... they were soft cotton, and sheer...form fitting and long. I wore them under everything this summer, and will continue to do so deep into Autumn.

9. susie_bubble

susie_bubble New Member

I'm not so strict with prints/patterns and colours. I like contrasting colours and patterned over plain. Though light and dark shades of one colour seem to work very nicely together. I love clashing patterns, stripes with florals are my fave coz stripes are a plain enough pattern to go with most things. Two different kinds of geometrics in similar colours also works well together. I have colour combos that I love one week, but change the next. Atm, I love grey and navy, green and ombre, autumnal shades in layers.

10. youarearockstar

youarearockstar utterly superfluous

That's too funny, I'm excatly the same way. When I'm just in the mood to be comfortable, I'll always layer two or three shirts that are normally contrasting in colors. The thing I look for in a good layering item is somewhat sheer, soft, and probably something that's not going to be too tight over another item, but enough so that I don't look lumpy!

My favorite combination as of late has been olive greens on top of bright lime greens. I like doing things that are tone on tone. Or, something even totally unexpected like tangerine and lavender. For guys its a little harder to do, but I think I've built an above average collection of layering tees for this exact occassion. Layering to add color for me, is a great way to make sure that my jeans get noticed, but I still look good for being on campus.

11. adorefaith

adorefaith i'm almost ready..

some excellent points here....
    anything i say will probably be regurgitating already concise info.....:innocent:....

i usually stick to solid colors when i'm layering.....
    i typically have the darker colors beneath the lighter ones.....
    for example today i have white on grey.....
    i tend to do it with more earthy, neutral colors.....i have a lot of brown, grey, white, pale pink, black......
    i find doing orange and green or red and yellow comes out a bit 'cartoonish' for me.....

and i layer the smaller top on top.....
    i think different straps/backs can look great.....
    though its not often i see someone that pulls of a very thin spaghetti strap over a thicker ribbed cotton tank with a wider strap.....it seems to look silly and obvious to me.....

i mainly do white on grey....
    pink on brown....
    grey on black....
    and pale blue on white....

and because of the lack of prints, i will add a long necklace or something to spice it up a little....i find if i have solid colors on then its easier to wear a fun piece and not have it look too cluttered.....i wear long beads over layered tanks a lot....

:flower:....

12. LibB

LibB New Member

This is so interesting! I don't think I do very well with layering (I tend toward very obvious combinations), but I'd love to be able to figure out how to pull it off at work... I think that's part of my problem though -- I think about it too much! :blush:

Off to peruse some pic threads...

13. maiden voyage

maiden voyage New Member

this is a really good topic!! I need to know these things too! :flower:
    I think that layering has really 'evolved' in the last 5 years or so, becoming more refined, and people doing more extreme combinations (i.e. cropped tops over longer layers or mixing different necklines). When I was a crazy youngster in the 80's we'd layer stuff in a more baggy silo, now it's more body-conscious.

and... layers need to be able to slide over each other, layering ribbed cotton is the worst combination, i've found.

and a fun thing my friend does is layer halter tops under baggy sweaters/jumpers, something i'd never think of doing...

14. shade

shade New Member

i have this same problem...can u guys post pictures the details are awsome but im still getting kinda confused..:blush:

15. snickerdoodles

snickerdoodles New Member

All of the suggestions are great. I also like to combine summer/spring stuff with fall winter stuff. So a lightweight patterned shirt with a plainer heavier cardigan or sweatervest. Or a sheer vintage shirt under a sweatervest or heavier sleeveless top. Layering also helps deal with a vintage thin/sheer top thats too large or has details that I don't necessarily like. So if I really like the sleeves, I layer under sleeveless but if I like the body I layer under something that is more open in the front.

#95 snickerdoodles, Oct 6, 2005
    Last edited by moderator giada: Oct 6, 2005
  16. softgrey

yes...ok...we're off to a good start...
    but we are going to need visual aids i think...

***layering something smooth under is good advice
    so you don't get stuck to your self...

:lol:

17. softgrey

layering at dries s/s06
    catwalking.com

Attached Files:

18. softgrey

what about the shrunken jkt over the babydoll top or

a cropped vest over a poet/pirate shirt...??...

19. helena

helena Swim Upstream

^^^^^^^^^ loved that little outfit from the dries show softgrey....its so nice isn't it.

20. Curious

Curious New Member

:lol:... isn't that your signature, Soft?? That's a tip I picked up from you to balance the proportion ;)

Hmm... maybe that blows my "leave the voluminous layer for the top" theory. Adding an exception :D