The Business of Magazines

Well if that cover is anything to go by i am not to thrilled with their redesign!

And wow their circulation is high, didnt know that.

I've subscribed to NY Magazine for many years... it is def worth the money since it comes out weekly & I believe a sub is only around $20. They have some good writers & also cover national issues. The Strategist is great & the entertainment section has full coverage. You can read most of the issue online... but I always prefer to have my own copy... I just keep it in my bag with my New Yorker magazine for reading on the METRO, etc.

:flower:

Thanks!!! :flower: :flower: Yes, the subscription is around $20, pretty cheap. I'll subscribe on my next payday, now that I know it is worth the money.

I had no idea their circulation numbers were that high. I don't purchase In Style, but some of my friends do on a regular basis.

I think the cover is ok, I like Rihanna, but the text on the mag bothers me (but that's in general. I like it when there is very little writing and a stunning photograph on the cover)

Source | WWD

JAPAN MAN: Hedi Slimane is in Tokyo shooting Vogue Hommes Japan's debut cover but his involvement with the new magazine doesn't end there. He is also serving as the magazine's male muse as it gears up for its Sept. 10 launch. "In the men's fashion world there was a big change from 2000 when Hedi Slimane started at Dior Homme. There was fashion before Hedi Slimane and there was fashion after Hedi Slimane," said Kazuhiro Saito, editor in chief of Vogue Nippon and the new men's spin-off. "There were those very skinny, boyish male models. That works for Japanese guys."

To wit, Slimane probably won't have to look far to generate his 20-page spread: a fashion shoot and a story probing the question, "Who is the Model Man?" On Monday night, Slimane will trade in his lens for turntables at Tokyo club Super Deluxe, where he is throwing a party with Dazed & Confused, another title he's helped shape.

Initially, Vogue Hommes Japan will publish twice a year and aims to boost its frequency over time. The book has a roster of bold-faced contributors including fashion director Nicola Formichetti, of Dazed & Confused, and art director Markus Kiersztan, who has collaborated with Nike, Yohji Yamamoto, Uniqlo and several others. Much of the magazine's regular staff and resources partially overlap with that of Vogue Nippon. [Vogue Hommes Japan and Vogue Nippon are published by Condé Nast International.]

Saito said he, Formichetti and Kiersztan are eager to develop a men's fashion magazine created by men, as opposed to France Sozzani's L'Uomo Vogue and Carine Roitfeld's Vogue Hommes International. "I spoke with Markus and Nicola and we agree these two magazines are very women-driven men's magazines," Saito said.

Meanwhile, Condé Nast Japan is gearing up to launch Glamour this summer. The magazine will be a close cousin to the French version of the magazine with a varied and democratic approach to fashion, targeting the lucrative 25- to 30-year-old "office lady" demographic, according to editor in chief Sayumi Gunji. Lifestyle stories on sex, dieting and dating will round out the offering.

"Office ladies have so much money...they are [such] active consumers in Japan," she said, noting the propensity for young Japanese women to accessorize their domestic brand workwear with designer handbags.

Glamour Japan is entering a crowded field of mass-market fashion mags including AneCan, Oggi, Sweet and Glamorous, where Gunji previously worked as fashion editor. Still, she thinks there is space for another title in the category especially since much of the competition focuses on tame, conservative workwear. "We want to combine every style into one magazine," she said.

Source | NY Times

The Insider | Joerg Koch

Joerg Koch, the editor in chief of the Berlin-based art and culture magazine 032c, shares a few of his style essentials. The current summer issue has just hit newsstands over here in the States and features sharp-eyed editorial content, including a conversation between the architects Jacques Herzog and Rem Koolhas and a selection of 20 years of Martin Margiela press curated by the notoriously press-shy designer himself. If in Berlin, make sure to check out the Museum Store, 032c’s new concept retail/art space in collaboration with the German industrial designer Konstantin Grcic. For more information, e-mail [email protected].

Name: Joerg Koch.
Home base: Berlin.

Retail standby: I am retail agnostic.
Music venue: Volksbühne Berlin.
Favorite concert: Integrity in West Germany, sometime in the mid-’90s.
Music: Today: Battles; Earth; Dexy’s Midnight Runners’ Searching for the Young Soul Rebels.
Provisions: Espresso; sparkling water; isolation.
For gifts: Tokyo Hands; an ice cube tray that produces cubes resembling form studies by Herzog & De Meuron; Pro Qm in Berlin for books.
Restaurant: Borschardt for lunch; dinner chez Koch.
Drink: Allgäuer Bayrisch-Hell beer, vodka, Coke.
Party central: 032c Museum Store.
Momentary style obsessions: This is as momentary as it can gets: my friend Paul just dropped by with a chrome 1950s French newspaper boy racer bike constructed by Lucien Florquin. I got obsessed with the small front rack. A whole new universe to discover: racers constructed by Alex Singer, Renée Herse and Lucien Florquin. It replaces my last summer style obsession of women in heels on racers. Nerdism wins.
Reading material: “The Grand Surprise: The Journals of Leo Lerman”; “The Post-American World” by Fareed Zakaria.
Art pick: “Who’s Afraid of Jasper Johns” at Tony Shafrazi Gallery, New York; the Rodchenko retrospective at Martin-Gropius-Bau, Berlin.
Museum: Haus der Kunst, Munich.
Movie: The first ‘‘Die Hard’’ film; UbuWeb.
Vacation destination: Istanbul.
Something you are looking forward to this summer: Not giving up on the hope to find a Hamptonian spot on the German Baltic Sea.

Source | NY Times

Biting Our Style | Coast Magazine

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, as this recent cover of Toast — I mean Coast — magazine attests. The version on the left was cooked up for the Spring 2007 cover of T Living by an all-star crew including photographer Miles Aldridge, food stylist Susan Spungen and set designer Stefan Beckman, who were asked to create their version of a beachy picnic, cocktail rings and all. (Credit also goes to the model, Anja Rubik, who was a good sport about pretending to eat for an hour.) The Californified cover on the right has all the fixings, but it is odd that a West Coast magazine would have a sadder tomato — especially since T’s shoot took place in February. Coast, if you really want to reflect Orange County’s finer lifestyle, we challenge you to recreate the Spring 2006 cover that got nixed at the last minute: a milkmaid and a dead chicken.

Source | WWD

HOT ISSUE: While tech heads on Friday lined up at the Apple store to buy the latest iPhone, fashionistas evidently hurried to newsstands across New York City to get their hands on the July Italian Vogue featuring all black models. By 10 a.m., Universal News on 58th Street and Eighth Avenue, near the Hearst Tower, had already sold 50 copies, with 50 more left in stock. Hudson News in Grand Central Station sold 20 copies by 11 a.m., with another 30 left to sell. By noon, Universal News on 56th Street and Lexington Avenue had sold its last issue, and the one on 14th Street near Sixth Avenue had sold over 100 copies, with a few more left to move.

Condé Nast prepped accordingly for the increased consumer curiosity surrounding the themed issue, where Steven Meisel shot the likes of Naomi Campbell, Alek Wek, Jourdan Dunn, Liya Kebede, Veronica Webb and upcoming names like Sessilee Lopez and Toccara Jones. A spokeswoman for Condé said the company increased newsstand distribution of the special issue by 40 percent in the U.S., and will reallocate Italian copies earmarked for returns to the U.S. The company will also print another 10,000 copies to meet the demand for the issue. "Franca Sozzani is a brilliant editor whose courage and originality never cease to astonish. Working in collaboration with Steven Meisel she has produced a groundbreaking issue, which in a small way, changes the world. I am very proud of it," said Jonathan Newhouse, chairman of Condé Nast International. Ironically, Vogue Italia wasn't available at the two places most likely to carry the issue — the Hudson News at Condé Nast's headquarters at 4 Times Square and the newsstand at Condé's satellite offices at 750 Third Avenue did not carry the issue on Friday. Store clerks at both locations expected to have copies by Monday.

Source | UK Guardian

As the economic outlook is increasingly gloomy, it is not, you would think, the ideal time to be launching a high-end fashion magazine. But some people have no fear: a new bi-monthly title, Distill, will hit newsstands at the end of August, overseen by the fashion authority Colin McDowell.

Aimed at "25 to 45-year-olds working in the creative industries", it will have an initial circulation target of 84,500 and - uniquely for its field - is a digest, reproducing the best content from fashion and style magazines around the world. The only original material will be a commentary explaining why it has been selected.

"We believe there are a number of other organisations potentially looking at a digest model," says Matthew Line, a former editor of Homes & Gardens and She, who will be Distill's editorial director. "The fashion and style magazine industry is so visual that it's perfect for reproduction in print again."

Even in a credit crunch? "There's no such thing as a bad time to launch a strong media idea," says the managing director, Christopher Lockwood. "From our point of view, we're not just about fashion, we're about a visual manifestation of fantastic, creative content. And people need to be inspired by the work of their contemporaries. That's recession-proof."

As editor-in-chief, McDowell's role will be part-time. Helen Johnston, formerly of Grazia and until recently editor of the celebrity weekly Now, is the magazine's editor, with US Vogue's Sheila Jack providing art direction, and more recruits to be announced in July.

The venture has been funded by a multimillion-pound private investment, and will rely on a 20 to 30% advertising ratio. In addition to the print run there will be an online presence at DistillMagazine.com, where you can buy the international magazines referenced.

Source | UK Guardian

Nicolas Coleridge | Behind the Gloss

The smooth managing director of Condé Nast UK talks to Stephen Brook about working with Tina Brown, why he takes two baths a day - and how a certain rival women's weekly doesn't bother him at all

Two hours with Nicholas Coleridge is like time spent with a particularly diverting glossy - witty, entertaining, anecdote-tastic, you depart with a warm glow but a curious doubt about penetrating the heart of the matter. Lunch was with Gore Vidal; tonight it's drinks at Christie's or Sotheby's, one or the other. Then there is the costing to attend to for the 300th anniversary party next year of Tatler, whose editor, Geordie Greig, has just co-hosted a party with the former Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachev.

Coleridge, managing director of Condé Nast UK for 17 years, says that he liked the film The Devil Wears Prada, which many thought parodied the company, "very much", and is frequently asked if it was a true depiction. "I always say yes. Of course it isn't at all like that, but it invests the magazine world with a slight excitement."

He has reason to be cheerful. The company has expanded its volume of lucrative advertising pages in the upmarket sector - it used to trail in third in advertising volume, but has held the No 1 spot for the past two years. But with the looming credit crunch, can the good times last?

It seems very unlikely. There's an old adage that luxury is recession-proof - but the credit crunch promises to be a very different type of downturn. Glamour, the company's most mid-market title, has seen its ad volume drop 10% in the first half of this year. Already Coleridge, the eternal optimist, worries about advertising for top-end US retail, although European luxury houses are holding up. "If we could match 2007 I'd be happy," he says.

Beneath the charm, Coleridge, a former British Press Awards young journalist of the year who was flung in jail briefly in Sri Lanka after reporting on the Tamil Tigers, is a sharp operator. He spots a scrawled reference to the legendary Tina Brown upside down in my notebook across his glass-topped desk. "She was a ballbreaker," he recalls of their time on Tatler from 1979 to 1982, when Brown edited the magazine and it struggled for survival. "She was very inspiring and she was also very ruthless. When I joined I was either No 13 or 14 on staff - three years later I was her deputy because everyone else was axed. It was like being a member of Idi Amin's cabinet. Each day another body was found floating."

Stellar celebrity covers

Coleridge hasn't followed her example, it seems. Condé Nast editors are noted for their longevity: Alexandra Shulman has been editor of Vogue for 16 years, Sarah Miller has edited Condé Nast Traveller for 10, Dylan Jones has run GQ for nine. They are some of the best-known names in the industry. And circulations at the top end continue to grow: GQ enjoys a rising circulation, just, and Vogue has enjoyed its 12th consecutive circulation rise (again, just). "It's to our advantage that they [the editors] personify their magazines," says Coleridge.

The strategy pays. In April, his star editors produced some stellar celebrity covers. Victoria Beckham on Vogue upped sales 10% on last year. Princess Eugenie on Tatler sent circulation soaring 35%. So had the celebrities approved copy and photographs beforehand? "It's very rare for a magazine here to give prior sight of a piece. We do everything we can not to get involved in those kinds of agreements," Coleridge says. Which presumably means that, sometimes, it does happen.

Not all Condé Nast's titles are doing so well - the younger, middle-market magazines launched on Coleridge's watch are faltering. Glamour fell a painful 6.5% year on year, although it still comfortably outsells NatMags' Cosmopolitan by about 90,000. But Condé Nast's Easy Living, down 2% year on year, puts up little resistance to NatMags' mighty Good Housekeeping, more than 260,000 ahead.

The company still, however, achieved a record profit in the UK last year - it is whispered that its margin was a very healthy 20%. Coleridge feels magnanimous towards rivals. "I get on well with [NatMags' chief executive] Duncan Edwards, [the two share a distributor] so I am going to try and avoid my usual snipey remarks." And yet, didn't you once say that everyone at NatMags wanted to work for Condé Nast? "I think that I was stating the obvious there," he laughs.

How annoying, then, that the magazine lauded by the Periodical Publishers' Association as a "media icon of our times" was Bauer Consumer Media's glossy fashion title Grazia - a weekly. It sells more copies in one week than Vogue manages in a month. Coleridge praises it as a "fantastic success" and admits he wanted to buy it last year before Bauer did. But it isn't all admiration; its circulation has "hit a glass ceiling", he says, noting that outside of London Grazia is price-cutting - he sees the local TV adverts at his weekend home in Worcestershire.

Condé Nast won't launch a weekly against Grazia, says Coleridge. It would only contemplate a more upmarket rival, but that would be less profitable. While in Italy and Germany the company launched Vanity Fair as a weekly - a success in Italy but not in Germany - the "much breezier" weekly VF won't be seen here. Stand by, says Coleridge, for falls in women's weekly magazines. "There may simply be too many. You do not feel any shame, after reading a weekly, leaving it on the tube seat."

After a spate of launches over the past five years (Look, First, In the Know, Love It!, Grazia, Pick Me Up, Nuts, Zoo) the magazine industry seems to have lost its enthusiasm for risking new products. But not Condé Nast. "I would be very surprised if we didn't launch something next year, and quite surprised if we didn't launch something the year after as well," Coleridge says. "We are quite advanced in our planning." Those launches will occur "irrespective" of the advertising downturn, of which "we haven't seen any real evidence in our upmarket titles".

So what will he launch? Neat freak that he is, Coleridge admits to have tidied away evidence before our arrival. He skilfully bats away attempts to press him, but expect something upmarket and niche. Something, perhaps, like the technology glossy Wired, or possibly Portfolio, the US business magazine that launched last year with a budget reported to be an eye-watering $100m-plus. (When Condé Nast and the Financial Times launched the UK glossy title Business in 1986, it was killed by the 1991 recession.)

Completely obsessed

But you have to wonder if people really want more monthly magazines, if they don't want weeklies. Who has the time to read it all? Coleridge says he takes two baths a day. "I have a bath in the morning and in the evening. I have a lot of magazines to read."

Most readers, however, are surely more likely to be found using a laptop than in the tub? Coleridge defends his company against accusations that it doesn't have a digital strategy. For many years, magazine sites were dismissed as little more than subscription sites. Condé Nast was a digital pioneer, "like the Guardian", he says, online for 13 years with a staff of about 40 in London and profitable for the past five.

Indeed, Vogue.com attracts about 1.3 million unique users a month and has just relaunched, expanding its fashion show reporting, so readers can expect all 250 pieces from the Chanel runway uploaded online with a "loved it, darling!" commentary within an hour of the show.

Coleridge believes magazine conferences are "completely obsessed" by digital, even though the revenue is not there. "The percentage of advertising that comes into magazines dwarfs it and is still growing." Digital revenues at the company might be growing at 40% a year, but they account for just 7% of total revenues.

With Coleridge also a vice president of Condé Nast International, and India a particular area of responsibility - "such fun" - he spends a lot of time on his BlackBerry. "My wife won't allow me, but if she's away I will sleep with it in my left hand. If I see the red light flashing my curiosity gets the better of me and I can't not answer it."

Vogue India, which launched last year, will break even in its first full year. GQ India, all Bollywood stars, cricketers and playboys, launches in September with a print run of 40,000. Condé Nast stole a march on rivals by gaining sole ownership of its Indian subsidiary and has seen growth in Russia and China. "In the long run I am backing India. It's a democracy and a very sophisticated democracy."

But start talking about the economic downturn and the good cheer drops. It is only at this point that Coleridge reveals that he is "always cautious". The very words jar with the bravado on display for the last two hours. Maybe it is a brief peep at the private Coleridge. "I have been braced for a downturn for more than five years now and each year I have thought, 'it can't go on this good forever'." He is about to find out if he is right.

Curriculum Vitae

Age 51

Education Eton College and Trinity College, Cambridge

Career

1979-82 associate editor of Tatler

1982-86 columnist for the Evening Standard

1986-89 editor, Harper's & Queen

1989-91 editorial director, Condé Nast

1991-present managing director, Condé Nast UK

1999-present vice president, Condé Nast International

2005-present special responsibility for Condé Nast, India

i think its a great idea.theres a lot of hit and miss, even in the best of magazines every month. cant believe there hasnt been such a thing yet

Source | The Business of Fashion

Fashion 2.0 | Top 10 Online Fashion Magazines

While taking a whirl around the Internet these days you're bound to bump into an online fashion magazine - or ten. Everyone from Richard Mortimer of Boombox fame to Net-a-Porter’s Natalie Massenet is getting in on the action – and looking for ways to monetise it.

For a long time, content developers had a hard time creating a distinction between simple websites and bonafide online magazines. But, in the past year, a plethora of online magazines have emerged with three common threads:

• Multimedia: The new magazines are a veritable multi-media festival. For some content consumers, particularly younger tech-savvy types, a multi-media experience is the only way to capture (and keep) their attention: lots of videos, blogs, and communities.

• Integration: The trick here has been to create a truly integrated experience across different channels -- for example, how do you make an offline page really come alive on the Internet? Creating complementary content that can be consumed separately, and together, satisfies even the most demanding multi-tasker.

• Convergence: Style.com meets Neiman Marcus.com. Content companies are integrating commerce models into their sites while commerce companies are creating their own content, and thereby, becoming content destinations in and of themselves.

To mark the surge of online magazines, we've compiled a list of ten of the most interesting concepts to watch:

NY Times T Magazine: With thought-provoking editorial, sharp images and full page advertisements, this is the place to find the experience that most closely captures that of reading a great offline magazine. But, it doesn't end there. T also kicks things into a whole new gear with seamlessly-integrated video and a daily blog, “The Moment”, resulting in a true multi-media experience. We think this one is a winner, and by the sounds of it, the advertisers are loving it too.

Net-a-Porter Notes: Did you know that Net-a-Porter puts out a new edition of its online magazine every single week? Natalie Massenet told me that “Net-a-Porter Notes” is a key part of making Net-a-Porter an online fashion destination with both content and commerce. Just click on the magazine images or trends, and you are magically transported to the Net-a-Porter commerce site. How efficient!

Vogue.co.uk: London’s fashion community descended on a pre-launch breakfast for the new Vogue.co.uk last week. Editor Dolly Jones tells us that the new site will launch in a few weeks and will be “completely different” from the current site. Vogue.com devotees will have already noticed that the site has been using more and more video content in recent months – a sign of things to come? Will there be a commerce play too? Stay tuned.

Ponystep.com: A couple of weeks ago I met East London impresario Richard Mortimer and asked him about Ponystep.com which just launched today. I can see why Richard described it as a project of passion, “working with people I like.” This may be why there is no apparent business model. However, this think-about-money-later formula has worked for Richard in the past – Boombox spawned a book, was invited to replicate itself in Milan and Paris, and drew attention (read: money) from big brands like Burberry. Sometimes you start with the content, and the rest will follow.

New York Look: The second issue of New York Look magazine has hit the stands, with the online version to hit the site in the next couple of weeks. We reviewed the launch issue in the Autumn, and enjoyed its insider perspective and interesting editorial. Case and point: the new issue features Janet Ozzard’s interview with Cathy Horyn on the end of the runway show in an “online-only” fashion world.

BBC Thread: Seizing the zeitgeist for ethical fashion, the BBC launched an online fashion magazine earlier this month, targeted at young, socially conscious consumers interested in self-described “eco-fabulous” style. The magazine’s content runs the gamut from environmentally friendly to ethically-conscious and for once, has a definition of what this actually means.

HintMag: Hintmag has developed a cult following for its in-depth ‘Hinterviews’ with hard-to-pin-down fashion royalty. This month, Stephen Jones, London’s legendary milliner, reveals what its like to work on designing runway-worthy headgear for fashion designers ranging from Rei Kawakubo to Marc Jacobs to John Galliano.

Fashion156.com: Every 156 hours, Fashion156 releases a new issue of its online magazine, in keeping with fast fashion, in the most literal sense of the word. With Susie Bubble as a key contributor and a desire to make Fashion156 a platform for new talent, this site has a fresh take on all things fashion -- including a clever model that includes links to commerce partners, which likely create revenue from affiliate sales and commissions.

Very Elle: Elle France launched this new integrated online/offline magazine property which takes the offline magazine and replicates it verbatim online -- complete with full-page advertisements. Its en français, but you can still get a feel for how some offline magazines may try to get into this space to directly leverage their content online, while maintaining the feel of a real magazine.

Iconique: First launched in 2000 (and therefore, a pioneer in this space), Iconique magazine is the brainchild of of Joost van Gorsel. Designed using flash, which is not necessarily great for quick download times, the site still manages to evoke real moods and tantalise with its virtual catwalks, stylish podcasts and a sexy welcome message.

Source | NY Times | By Heather Timmons

July 14, 2008

In India, Magazines That Translate Well

NEW DELHI — Hairstyles to crave and hints on how to get over heartbreak. This month’s must-have lip gloss and a new nine-iron that will make your golfing buddies jealous.

An explosion of Western magazines has hit newsstands in India in the past 12 months, pitching a familiar mix of consumption and gossip, relationship advice and expensive goodies.

Indian versions of Vogue, Rolling Stone, OK!, Hello, Maxim, FHM, Golf Digest, People and Marie Claire have all sprung up this year, and GQ and Fortune are soon to follow. They join familiar names like Cosmopolitan, Good Housekeeping and Reader’s Digest.

Despite rising inflation and a slowing economy, India remains one of the world’s bright spots for magazine publishing. Magazine advertising in India is expected to grow by 20 percent to $302 million in 2008, according to the International Federation of the Periodical Press. A whole new class of nouveau riche Indians has been created in recent years as the economy and real estate prices soared and two-income families became the norm in some upper-income urban areas.

“There are one million homes earning more than $100,000 each” in India, said Alex Kuruvilla, the chief executive of Condé Nast India, the only major foreign-owned publisher that has set up a fully staffed India division to write and print a fully owned title. In October Vogue magazine will have been in India for a year, and Condé Nast is introducing the men’s fashion magazine GQ in September.

Most of the new Western magazines being published in India are not really Western at all — they are written, photographed, edited and designed almost completely in India. Many are published under licensing agreements with the media company that owns the name. Even though they are all published in English, their content may be completely different from their American or British counterparts.

While the name may be familiar to an American reader, the flavor is distinctly Indian. Instead of Heloise’s syndicated household hints column, for example, Good Housekeeping runs “Ask Mrs. Singh.” This month, Mrs. Singh tackles how to keep your home fresh during the monsoons that sweep through India during the summer (rubber mats and fresh flowers help).

Some, like Maxim, seem to pride themselves on pushing the envelope of good taste even further than they do in their home markets. The magazine’s July issue includes the feature “48 Ways to Get a Gori” (gori is Hindi for fair-skinned woman, and is used in this context to mean a foreign white one). Some ideas the article offers: keep in mind most American women are extremely angry at Indians for stealing their jobs; don’t ask an Italian woman if her family is part of the mob; to approach an Israeli woman, try a suicide bomber joke.

The July issue of Vogue carries the Annie Leibovitz photo shoot of the honeymoon of the “Sex and the City” characters Carrie and Mr. Big that appeared in the June Vogue in the United States; an underwater fashion shoot off the Indian islands of Lakshadweep; a cover story on the Bollywood debutante Asin Thottumkal; and a mix of international and local ads.

“We like to talk about 100 percent Indian content, where every piece would be relevant to an Indian audience,” said Mr. Kuruvilla, though that means the magazine may pick up the occasional piece from another Condé Nast publication.

Most of the women’s magazines, including Vogue, also carry pages of ads for an Asian cosmetic staple, whitening cream intended to lighten the skin. Many of these advertisements are from global companies like Estée Lauder and L’Oréal.

Even with a cover price of 100 rupees, or about $2.50, and a steady demand for imported paper, the 50,000-circulation Vogue India is close to break-even in its first year, Mr. Kuruvilla said, thanks to a steady flow of luxury advertising. “That is something we hadn’t even planned for,” he said. “We expected it in Year 4 or 5.”

People magazine made its debut this month. While there are plenty of outlets for Bollywood gossip, from newspapers to blogs, “I was searching for a magazine with a lot of soul along with good packaging,” said Maheshwer Peri, the president and publisher of Outlook Group.

Unlike Vogue India, People in India does not employ a single person from Time Inc., or Time Warner, he said, and the media giant has no stake in the Indian edition of the magazine. For its first issue, People India published 150,000 copies, and sold 70 percent of that number, he estimates.

The Outlook Group also markets and distributes BusinessWeek and Newsweek in India and has signed up two more news magazines that Mr. Peri said he could not yet disclose. The advantage with global news magazine are the “brands are known and the content is almost free,” Mr. Peri said.

New opportunities are coming all the time. “The biggest challenge I have is to downplay the expectations about India,” Mr. Peri said. He never gives a presentation that starts with India’s one billion-plus population, he said, because then people’s projections about the number of readers “go haywire.”

India relies on an unorthodox street-side distribution system for more than half of all of its magazine sales. In major cities, packs of young boys stand in traffic islands in the middle of highways, holding up the latest copy of a glossy, and yelling “Vogue, madam? Indian Vogue! Golf Digest?” into the windows of stopped cars.

While many of these new magazines may cost 100 rupees an issue, these boys usually earn much less than that a day; they receive a commission from their boss, usually a middleman who gets a commission from what he sells from a magazine distributor, who in turn buys the magazines from the publisher for a fraction of the cover price.

Publishers in India say the system is something they have little control over, and liken street-side magazine distribution to the American paper route, a way for children to earn a little extra money. But the children selling the magazines tell a different tale.

“If on a particular day my sales are poor, then I am abused by my employer, at times beaten as well,” said Sonu Kunar, a 12-year-old boy selling a variety of local and Western titles at the intersection of two busy New Delhi roads. Sonu says he works from 9 in the morning until 8 in the evening, and earns about 1,000 rupees, or $23.15, a month. He lives with 13 other children in a small room, and sends all the money he earns back to his family in the eastern state of Bihar.

Despite India’s reputation for conservative attitudes toward sex, Cosmopolitan was one of the first titles to come to India nearly 12 years ago. Mala Sekhri, now Cosmopolitan India’s publishing director, was approached by Hearst, which was looking for new markets at the time.

When she first brought copies of international editions of Cosmo to India, she could not even bring herself to show them to potential advertisers. “The few people who saw it turned the covers over” so they did not have to look at the explicit copy on the front, she said. “People said ‘Are you sure? This is not what India is all about,’ ” Ms. Sekhri said.

They struggled for the first few years to create the right balance between Cosmo’s international image and what would work in India, she said. Although Cosmopolitan’s publisher, Hearst, wanted to be sure the brand was intact, executives there understood there were a lot of things that were not relevant in India at the time, she said. “For example, premarital sex — we had to skirt around that issue to begin with,” she said.

Now “some of the features run in India have been racier” than those in the United States, she said.

Thanks for all the articles MissMagAddict, they are all very interesting reads!!

Source | WWD

September issues can make or break the year for plenty of magazines, especially those in the fashion buy. Aside from the forests full of pages for fall fashion and advertising, celeb wranglers are fighting for the most high-wattage, newsstand-friendly faces they can find for their covers. So who banked whom for the big September 2008 issues?

As previously reported in WWD, Vogue will have Keira Knightley, shot by Mario Testino. It's something of a gamble, since Vogue also shot the actress for its June cover last year, but the star was a surprisingly weak newsstand draw. The issue was the second-lowest seller of the half, moving 405,000 newsstand copies. Glamour will have Penélope Cruz for its September cover, shot by Mattias Vriens, while W (which beat Glamour to the punch with Cruz on its August cover) plans to feature Kate Hudson, shot by Mert Alas and Marcus Piggott.

In Style will have Uma Thurman, who will star in the upcoming movie "The Accidental Husband." Sources say Cosmopolitan will have Blake Lively of "Gossip Girl" and Teen Vogue has "High School Musical" actress Vanessa Hudgens, shot by Richard Bush.

Allure shot country music singer Carrie Underwood for its September issue. And Elle will showcase Underwood's newest musical competitor, Jessica Simpson, who is releasing a country album later this year. Simpson has been a bestseller for Elle in the past — the singer-tabloid fave was on the March 2007 cover and was last year's single bestseller, besting the likes of Jennifer Garner (January), Jessica Biel (June), Mandy Moore (May) and Lindsay Lohan (September). She also was on its September 2004 issue, Elle's newsstand bestseller in the past seven years, which sold 483,100 copies.

On the men's front, GQ will have actor James Franco, while Men's Health will show soccer superstar-Armani model (and most assuredly ab-appropriate) David Beckham on both the magazine's front and back cover, wearing — what else? — Armani. —

Source | WWD

Employees at Condé Nast might want to make sure they pick up a copy of Sunday's New York Times. According to sources, the paper will publish a sizable story by Richard Pérez-Peña on the business transition at Condé Nast, including a succession strategy for top executives, should Condé Nast chairman S.I. Newhouse Jr. retire. Sources said that several Condé executives, including president and chief executive officer Charles Townsend, chief marketing officer Richard Beckman, editorial director Tom Wallace, Vogue editor in chief Anna Wintour and The New Yorker editor David Remnick participated in the story. However, Newhouse apparently did not.

The feeling at 4 Times Square is that Newhouse isn't retiring anytime soon — the company chairman is in good health, is known for his prompt early-morning arrival at his Times Square offices and is very involved in all aspects of the company. But those close to Newhouse have heard of a possible succession plan that involves the creation of a committee of several top Newhouse family members, including Steven Newhouse, head of Advance Publications' Internet division, to oversee the Condé Nast empire collectively.

The Times tread similar waters in 2003, when David Carr wrote a lengthy piece on the publisher's interworkings and outlined potential successors to Si Newhouse, but neither Si, his brother, Donald Newhouse, or nephew Steven Newhouse gave interviews for Carr's article. A Times spokeswoman refused to confirm what is in the paper on Sunday. A Condé Nast spokeswoman did not return calls or e-mails by press time.

Can I ask a question in here?

I don't get US Vogue for a few weeks after the people on TFS. I see other members scanning them quite quickly. Maybe it has to do with geography, but do others get copies of magazines first that live closer to NYC? Or, do these users works at the offices and get first-hand copies of photos and scan them for the thread?

Can I ask a question in here?

I don't get US Vogue for a few weeks after the people on TFS. I see other members scanning them quite quickly. Maybe it has to do with geography, but do others get copies of magazines first that live closer to NYC? Or, do these users works at the offices and get first-hand copies of photos and scan them for the thread?

Some tFS'ers do work in the industry or have contacts & get advance copies. Otherwise... yes... it has to do with distribution & geography. I almost always see the issue on the newsstands before I get my subscription copy.

:flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulpaul
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->