The Hobbit

I´m reading all over the net that the movie sucks :(
Has anyone seen it?

Don't believe all the bashing, it does not suck. The critics that are damning it are all complaining about the 48fps and the 3hr length running time. I feel Peter and Co are in a damned if they do, and damned if they don't situation: Some non-Tolkien fans will complain it's bloated and excessive because it's so detailed in its storytelling and lingers too long in atmosphere-- while some Tolkien fans will criticize not enough time is spent in The Shire, Middle-earth, etc...

I've never read The Hobbit, and only seen the animated movie-- which I though was horrible and a borefest. Never cared for Bilbo, or the dwarves. I always got the impression it was clearly a children's tale. I always preferred The Silmarillion by a long long shot to LOTR anyways. With that in mind, I enjoyed Peter's The Hobbit immensely. It was thoughtful, passionate and the dwarves were great. I actually didn't care too much for the actor that portrayed Bilbo. The story unfolded at a leisurely pace-- much like the Extended Editions of the LOTR. I preferred those to the theatrical-cuts, so The Hobbit wasn't long, or sluggish and dragging, to me.

I loved that it was a fresher, and more innocent Middle-earth with The Hobbit. It can never be compared to the LOTR since the story is so much smaller and lighter, so don't go in with that expectation of it having to be so weighty and epic, or you'll be disappointed. I saw it in traditional 24fps, as I abhor 3D. It was beautiful, colorful, and even though I could tell there were a bit too much CGI, it served the story well-- unlike those horrible Star Wars Prequels. And being only the first of 3 parts, it's a great start, I think it's going to be a wonderful addition and preface to the LOTR trilogy.

Go see it. If you're a Middle-earth fan, you'll really like it. No guarantee you'll love it...

^Thanks for your review :smile:
I was going to see it anyways, taste being so subjective I don´t pay attention to critics. But I was surprised to see only negative comments, from both die hard fans and regular fans.
I´m going to see it in 3D only because I´m curious about the 48 fps :smile:

I´m going to see it in 3D only because I´m curious about the 48 fps :smile:

In case you're not aware, be sure it is 3D with 48fps-version that you're seeing if you want to experience 48fps, as there's also the regular 24fps 3D-version.

Seeing it in traditional 24fps, this film is gorgeous-- like a hyper-technicolor painting come to life. It's like a deliberate effort on Peter's & Co's part to remind us that The Hobbit is set in the springtime of what would be the winter of Middle-earth with the LOTR. I really liked that it is unmistakably Middle-earth-- just a more unspoiled one.

It's definitely very subjective: I cannot stand romance comedies, like anything with Jennifer Anniston in it, so it would be very hard for me to give an objective review without bashing those types of films.There are plot points/devices in The Hobbit that really bug me-- the Eagles' appearances, for example, but that's how it was written in the book, apparently. I still would have liked to see Peter approached it better than Tolkien had. I mean, thank goodness the elves weren't a bunch of happy singing Peter Pans in the LOTR films, like they were in the books. And even though Radagast on his rabbit sleigh looks really awkward as a concept, within the context of the Middle-earth that belongs with The Hobbit, it works just fine. I won't spoil it for you, but Radagast and his bunnies are no pushovers when it comes to a good fight.

I'm glad Peter's infused a sense of slight maturity in the appropriate places of an otherwise very childish story, but still being faithful to its original source. But then again, anything would be an improvement over the animated version-- where the dwarves looked like the ones from Snow White and Gollum was a giant mutant-frog...

I went to see it yesterday, and well...I didn't really like it. It's my own fault though. I walked in expecting LOTR reloaded (I loved loved loved LOTR). And this is not what the hobbit is. Even so, my main problem was that I never cared about the dwarfes or their mission. I simply couldn't connect with them.

Also, I found the part with Radagast completely ridiculous and most of the battle/chase scenes over-the top.

Martin Freeman is superb as Bilbo though. I wish he'd be given more "talking" time. He really does a great job !

I watched it last night and I loved it. It is such a great movie,and the fact that for whole 170 minutes I haven't felt bored in one second, makes me want to watch it again and again.The movie quality is great,scenes of nature and battles are done perfectly and I love that it has comical elements. The music is perfect, I have been listening the soundtrack since last night.

Just got back from the theater after seeing The Hobbit. Overall I was rather impressed with the film. It was beautifully shot (how could it not be? Especially with NZ as sitting in for Middle-Earth). And I think the film was well done because made me care for the plight of the Dwarves. To be honest, while I liked Gimli in LOTR, I never really understood/cared for the dwarves very much, they seemed to have gotten the short end of the stick in the series didn't they? But the whole cast did a fantastic job and it's a shame that the film is getting flack.

I don't think it's truly possible to compare The Hobbit to LOTR because while they take place in the same world they are very different stories. It's important to remember this while watching the film, or else it'll be seen as very disappointing. While I didn't see the film in 3D (I can't, they give me a headache) I don't think it's necessary to see it in that form. You can still appreciate the film without the added effects. Though, I will admit there were a few times where the effects were bordering on slightly overdone and I wonder if it would have been best in 3D. It really doesn't take away much from the storyline though.

Also, on a more shallow note, Aidan Turner who played Kili, makes a really good looking dwarf. I understand that this shouldn't be the main-takeaway from the film but I must admit that he was so attractive (though he is also the most conventionally attractive of the dwarves so that probably is coming into play too). :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
I liked the film! it's been a long time since I read the book and couldn't remember lots of details, but I think they did a good job in adapting the book, even though they probably could have made a 2 1/2 h long movie out of it...

anyway, I didn't care much for this new technology... I've seen a couple of 3D movies but it took me half an hour to get used to this new "look". the colours often looked really unnatural (especially green landscapes just looked too fluorescent lol) and it all looked just a bit too "sharp" for lack of a better word... I thought the scenes in Bilbo's house looked alright and those in other darker settings, but the scenes in broad daylight just looked off... and so did all the scenes involving faster movement! lots of the fights just looked like 3D in computer games to me :blink:

I'm definitely gonna get the dvd and am looking forward to seeing the "regular" version of the film. if the future of movie going will solely rely on this new technology I'm not looking forward to it :unsure:

I also liked it though I think the pacing was a bit slow, that´s the bad thing about adapting one book (and a half, shall we say?) into three movies. But it´s a beautiful movie and the score brought sweet memories :smile:
I agree Aidan Turner makes a fine dwarf, though I was already smitten with him from Being Human. I also liked Martin Freeman but at times all I could think was "that´s Watson!" LOL
The 48fps looked like watching an HD 1080 movie on the cinema so while it was ok it´s not that much different than watching a blu ray movie.

Great movie, but I really wish it hadn't been split into 3 parts. Not too much happened in the entire 2 hours and 46 minutes. I think there was a lot that could have been saved for the extended DVD and they could've just kept it as two parts.

I will say that there werent any boring moments though. My favorite part was Gollum and Bilbo's entire interaction.
Posted via Mobile Device

^I agree with you about it being split into three parts. The story could have been split into two films and it would have been fine. But I find it interesting how even though not a lot happened the film wasn't boring. It might have been because I was so happy to be back in that world that I didn't find it slow or dull. I loved the bit with Gollum, he's such a fascinating character, my sister and I think Andy Serkis ought to finally get his due with an Oscar nom of some sort (He really should have gotten for LOTR). He's such a phenomenal actor and it really shows, even in the relatively short amount of screen time Gollum had with Bilbo.

^ me too, I really enjoyed the film. I especially loved the Dwarfs!
I'm very excited that the second installment, the Desolation of Smaug comes out this year!

All I could think of Martin Freeman was his character in Love Actually :lol:

I watched The Fellowship Of The Rings after not having seen it for some time. And besides remaining my favourite of the LOTR trilogy, I am completely shocked at how full of energy and life "old" Bilbo/Ian Holmes is in FOTR, compared to the "old" Bilbo/Ian Holmes in The Hobbit. I think it would have been so much better had Ian Holmes not been cast for this new trilogy-- just a voiceover would have been enough; it's so jarring how near-death old Bilbo appears in the new film-- and he sounds completely drained and lifeless. Familiarity is fine, but Ian Holmes is not looking good-- or alive in this new film.

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug poster
Release date: December 13!!

facebook / peterjackson

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yams Yamborghini
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"