The Makeup Help and Tips Thread

Originally posted by Adrina@Nov 2 2004, 10:27 AM
Makeup tips for special occassion:

-Clean your face well
-Put mask after exfoliate
-The mask should be wipe a little after 5 or 10 minutes, leave a tiny mask on your face (sometime I use a lifting mask like Chanel mask lifting, or Estee lauder deep hydrating mask, Payot lift visage)
-Then apply foundation that suits to your skin to create glowing fresh look.
-Your makeup will stay all day.
[snapback]414925[/snapback]​
Thanks I'll try this tip
mostly I mask or exfoliate..

I found out, 5 years too late, that lipliners don't suit me
So I invented a way to make use of my liners:

For long lasting/natural lip-hint-of-color line your lips with the lipliner, and color the insides slightly...then just rub all over with your fingers following a quick lick.
for a glossy effect, apply vaseline.

first and most importantly: DONT TAN and ALWAYS wear an SPF of at least 30-everyday, whether youre going to be outside for five minutes or five hours. even if the only daylight you'll see is from your car to your office and then from your office to car to home again. a LOT of the effects of aging are actually from sun exposure, and the best way for makeup to look good is for it to be applied over gorgeous skin. so ALWAYS wear sunscreen! if you want a tan, go fake, baby.

lipliners make great longlasting matte lipstick

if you have dark brown hair, you can use a good medium brown eyeliner for everything-fill in your brows, line your eyes, and use it as a lipstick-just put it on your lips and add a bit of gloss on top-means only taking one pencil and a pot of gloss in your bag instead of three or four different items to touch up your makeup

buy a GOOD foundation-the better the canvas, the better the paints will look on them

more later :smile:

For long lasting/natural lip-hint-of-color line your lips with the lipliner, and color the insides slightly...then just rub all over with your fingers following a quick lick.
for a glossy effect, apply vaseline.
Never thought of that - thanks!

Am I wasting my money?

My makeup collection is a combination of a few supposedly top-qaulity brands. I generally think if you use better qaulity, you should get better results.
But my question is, is there really a differnence in these brands and the stuff you can buy at a department store for an absoloute steal? Because I'm beginning to think there isn't, and obviously I don't like feeling I am wasting my money. What do you all think?

Depends, an average drugstore brand will produce about 2-3 really awesome products and the rest will be crap.

But don't be fooled, costier products don't necessarily deliver better results. I suggest you check out a really neat makeup review website:
www.makeupalley.com

There, you'll find loads of reviews on all sorts of makeup, skincare products, it'll help you choose wiser. :wink:

^^ Ditto.

And always remember, everyone is different. A lot of people say Neutrogena is a decent drugstore brand, but I hate it. :flower:

I've never found a better moisturizer than the pricey department store stuff, i figure a lot of the more expensive products must be more expensive for A REASON. However; there are some really great products at the grocery/drug store it just takes time to find what really works best for you.

As only 2% of profits from cosmetics is, on average, used for R&D there's no reason why high price should go with high quality.

Kimkhuu said:
I suggest you check out a really neat makeup review website:
www.makeupalley.com
Whats the deal with Makeupalley :angry: I think it's a great site with lots of very useful reviews..but unless you are a member it will limit your search possiblities..SoI've tried to become a member..giving them my e-mail etc several times..and nadda..they haven't send me a pw...Kimkhuu are you a "member"..and if so have you had any problems getting your pw ?

Well, you need to become a member to get a password in order to read the reviews. I suggest you should re-try, it worked for me the first time. If it doesn't work, I suggest you e-mail the admin of that great website. :flower:

I am not a member, but I am reading all the reviews. That's weird!
Anyway, thanks for reccomending the site, it's really great....althout it is making my head spin a little. I read a few posts on some items I allready have, one being MAC lipglass in Prr....so many people were saying it was p*rn starish (what???) and other stuff, and so I started putting it on a zillion times in front of the mirror and pouting and looking at myself from all angles....so when I went shopping today I bought another one, and now I don't like that! It's MAC Lust and it is way to dark for me!

I read an article about the difference between cheap and expensive brands and it said that drugstore brands put most of their money into R&D, so they're constantly coming up with newer, better products. Higher-end brands put this money into using higher-quality products while making their products and don't come out with as much new stuff. So really, it depends on the products and your preferences, not on the price.

Kimkhuu said:
Well, you need to become a member to get a password in order to read the reviews. I suggest you should re-try, it worked for me the first time. If it doesn't work, I suggest you e-mail the admin of that great website. :flower:
Will do, thank you Kimkhuu :flower:

i don't think you are wasting your money, but as it's said before -different people, different results.

i swear by lancome foundation and avoid clinique because it makes my skin get oily (both about £30). and i love rimmel's eyeliner and maybelline lipgloss (both less than £10). so it's not a matter of money, in my opinion.

use what works for YOU and forget what everybody else is wearing...

Hmmm, does this mean I should try every product ever invented?
That actually sounds like a really brilliant idea!

clueless said:
Hmmm, does this mean I should try every product ever invented?
That actually sounds like a really brilliant idea!
well... how about you go to a department store and ask them to do your make-up? or ask for some samples? that way you CAN try every product on earth :flower:

I don't know. But I like to convince myself that Chanel really is just perfectly matched to my skin tone :lol:

Well, yes, that and the foundation is still amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPepic
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->