The Row... The All-Things The Row Handbags Thread

MaybeJaded

Reaction score
from Harper Bazaar:

MARY-KATE AND ASHLEY OLSEN DEBUT THE ROW'S BAGS
Sartorial wunderkinds Ashley and Mary-Kate Olsen, 24, are on a roll: the design duo behind the label The Row have not only scored a recent CFDA nomination—the Swarovski Award for Womenswear—but are also launching a new line of überluxe bags for fall.
BY ANNE MONOKY
“I am so overdressed!” exclaims Mary-Kate Olsen, in a heavy black sculpted leather Givenchy jacket, on a surprisingly hot New York City day this past spring. Perched behind a massive desk next to her equally stylish (and pint-size) sister Ashley in their design studio, Mary-Kate fiddles with her iPad, eventually deciding on a little Led Zeppelin for some inspiration. It’s not often that one of these two makes a fashion misstep, but this time it’s with good reason: “We took the red-eye in from Los Angeles last night. We’re exhausted,” they explain in unison, both armed with organic green juices for an energy boost.
Such an arduous schedule is nothing new for the ambitious entrepreneurs, who started in the entertainment business at a mere nine months old and have slowly built up an impressive fashion empire. The jewel in the crown is their high-end line, The Row, under which they are launching a set of sophisticated bags that will hit stores at the end of July.
Ashley elaborates on their vision for the debut: “We wanted there to be multiple options in the collection so you aren’t stuck with one style; there’s a purpose to every bag.” Hence the names. There’s the Day Luxe (a structured top-handle tote), the Classic Shoulder (a long-strap messenger), the Metal Frame (need we say more?), and four other iterations in fine finishes, including ostrich, alligator, and lizard, which will be sold at Barneys New York and specialty boutiques like A’maree’s. Our favorite? The aptly named Twin Mini, a petite cross-body bag that features different skins on each side, for a chic two-in-one component.
These arbiters of cool simply understand what women want. “We didn’t want too much branding; we didn’t want an It bag,” says Mary-Kate of the new line. What they did want was a set of accessories that would perfectly complement their fall runway collection, a luxe grouping of statement coats in sumptuous furs and rich hues as well as pared-down separates in a crisp, neutral palette.
Their decision to delve into the accessories market was only natural. “We are such bag people,” says Ashley. Over the years, by being photographed with a slew of designer carryalls, they’ve catapulted them into the mainstream. Case in point: Mary-Kate was one of the first to step out carrying Alexander Wang’s black pebbled duffel with a gold-studded bottom, making it an instant must-have. It’s inevitable that their own line will follow suit. Jokes Ashley: “I’ve ordered every version for myself!”

Read more: Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen Debut The Row Handbags - Harper's BAZAAR

olsen-twins-0611-12-de.jpg

olsen-twins-0611-9-de.jpg

olsen-twins-0611-11-de.jpg

olsen-twins-0611-10-de.jpg

olsen-twins-0611-8-de.jpg

olsen-twins-0611-7-de.jpg

olsen-twins-0611-6-de.jpg

olsen-twins-0611-5-de.jpg

Source:harpersbazaar.com

The Row bags

May 31, 2011

Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen Debut the Row's Bags

Sartorial wunderkinds Ashley and Mary-Kate Olsen, 24, are on a roll: the design duo behind the label The Row have not only scored a recent CFDA nomination—the Swarovski Award for Womenswear—but are also launching a new line of überluxe bags for fall.
By Anne Monoky

“I am so overdressed!” exclaims Mary-Kate Olsen, in a heavy black sculpted leather Givenchy jacket, on a surprisingly hot New York City day this past spring. Perched behind a massive desk next to her equally stylish (and pint-size) sister Ashley in their design studio, Mary-Kate fiddles with her iPad, eventually deciding on a little Led Zeppelin for some inspiration. It’s not often that one of these two makes a fashion misstep, but this time it’s with good reason: “We took the red-eye in from Los Angeles last night. We’re exhausted,” they explain in unison, both armed with organic green juices for an energy boost.

Such an arduous schedule is nothing new for the ambitious entrepreneurs, who started in the entertainment business at a mere nine months old and have slowly built up an impressive fashion empire. The jewel in the crown is their high-end line, The Row, under which they are launching a set of sophisticated bags that will hit stores at the end of July.

Ashley elaborates on their vision for the debut: “We wanted there to be multiple options in the collection so you aren’t stuck with one style; there’s a purpose to every bag.” Hence the names. There’s the Day Luxe (a structured top-handle tote), the Classic Shoulder (a long-strap messenger), the Metal Frame (need we say more?), and four other iterations in fine finishes, including ostrich, alligator, and lizard, which will be sold at Barneys New York and specialty boutiques like A’maree’s. Our favorite? The aptly named Twin Mini, a petite cross-body bag that features different skins on each side, for a chic two-in-one component.

These arbiters of cool simply understand what women want. “We didn’t want too much branding; we didn’t want an It bag,” says Mary-Kate of the new line. What they did want was a set of accessories that would perfectly complement their fall runway collection, a luxe grouping of statement coats in sumptuous furs and rich hues as well as pared-down separates in a crisp, neutral palette.

Their decision to delve into the accessories market was only natural. “We are such bag people,” says Ashley. Over the years, by being photographed with a slew of designer carryalls, they’ve catapulted them into the mainstream. Case in point: Mary-Kate was one of the first to step out carrying Alexander Wang’s black pebbled duffel with a gold-studded bottom, making it an instant must-have. It’s inevitable that their own line will follow suit. Jokes Ashley: “I’ve ordered every version for myself!”

(L-R:( Day Luxe leather bag, $5,400; Classic Shoulder bag, $5,450; Metal Frame alligator bag; Metal Frame lizard bag, $5,800; Twin Mini ostrich bag, $4,700; Day Luxe alligator bag; Day Luxe leather bag, $5,400; Twin Mini ostrich bag, $4,700.

- HARPERSBAZAAR.COM

the ostrich twin bags look really good. the other bags seem reminiscent of celine however.

the tote is almost exactly like the fendi "twins" bag that ashley carries all the time...:ninja:

yeah...that tote is totally similar to the Fendi tote...looks like no one I know will be getting them at those prices.

I wonder how the quality will be?

for the prices to be so high there must be some sort of high level of craftsmanship involved, don't you think?

i know exotic skins are expensive but the prices just seem over the top...
especially when the leather bag is also $5,400 if the prices up there are correct

I too found the prices crazy ... and it seemed really out of line with what they're doing with The Row, which in my mind isn't too outrageously priced. Granted, I don't own any of it ... There's no entry level to this, is what I thought. The only thing that would make it look affordable is if you went to Hermes first ...

Marc Jacobs, Lanvin, Chanel ... all much more affordable.

^^that's a good point.. isn't it a bit crazy that this makes chanel etc look affordable??

yup, for that price you might as well buy a hermes bag.

the price for exotic skins should be WAY down these days. there are tens of thousands of alligator/croc/ostrich farms in east asia that all supply LVMH/hermes etc...

for instance, american alligator skins sell for 4$ a cm these days. thats cheap. skins from asian animals are even cheaper.

they were carrying the bags at last nights CFDA awards. (pic wwd)

Attachments

• cfda01.jpg
    cfda01.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 22
^I like the shape of this one.

I agree that their pricing for the bags is a bit... Unexpected. They definitely don't want to see their bags on everyone.

this is their $39,000 backpack they are sellling.

source: splashnews

Attachments

• article-0-0D29680A00000578-660_468x485.jpg
    article-0-0D29680A00000578-660_468x485.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 25
  • article-0-0D29680A00000578-831_468x768.jpg
    article-0-0D29680A00000578-831_468x768.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 29
I absolutely love it. It's my favorite of the line.

if i had $39,000 lying around i think I'd rather spend it on a car...
certainly wouldn't spend it on a backpack :rolleyes:

OMG, it doesn't really even look real...more like croc-embossed leather! I'd rather have a gorgeous Nancy Gonzales bag for less than 1/10th the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
barakz12
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->