Tokyo Midtown

it's almost another Roppongi-hills thing.

Cruciani
Chloe
Bottega Veneta
Marni
lucien pellat-finet

beams (kiton, velvest and such)
restir
dress terior
via bus stop
cvriterio

and more

personally, I'm looking forward to hLam which will be their first store in the world.

the designer behind hLam is Pierangelo D'Agostin.
apparently the brand name is from Berber.
on the whole its clothes are grown-up, quiet and refined with some interesting details which make them subtlely cool.
it has been around since the late 90's at the places like United Arrows on a small scale.
but mostly it's mens stuff and womens might be rare.
I'd like to wear clothes like some of it sometimes in my late thirties.

so- how is this now? is it worth visiting or is it too much the same as roppongi hills, etc...
is it basically a big shopping center/mall?

you'd always find something interesting that is not available over there.
but probably that place is not what should be on your top priority list.

you already have places to visit. try them first and enjoy them slowly.

thank you for the advice...
that is what i was thinking as well...
:flower:

if you are going to YY flagship from the regulation popup store (parco shibuya) for example, you'd find lots of places worth visiting and spots worth viewing along the way. you are to go through such a dense area. and if you walk with your instagram viewpoints where you pick up every little thing and all the phenomena including colors, textures, noise, and smell of the city and you might have to notice japanese weeds differ in species from US ones, it might be difficult to get to the YY within a day even though the distance is just about 10 minutes' car ride. so there will definitely be no time left for the tokyo midtown. but I'd say it's alright. we come to things we might really be eager to see less by a direct route than by a diversion. detours lead to the true center. let's not be afraid of getting lost enough, going around and around.

Thank you runner...
it's nice to know that you look at my instagram, even though you never comment...
^_^...

the first thing that i already noticed flying over Japan is that the ocean waves are a different variety than what is in NY...
more big, rolling waves that can be seen from above and seem to be good for surfing...
i can understand better now why surfing is popular in Japan...
:mohawk:

unfortunately I was not permitted to use my camera during the landing period so was not able to capture that and some cool clouds left over from the typhoon...
:ermm:...
i did take a mental snapshot though for myself...
:D

i will do as you advise and go slowly...
i took the train to shibuya station today and already got to see some interesting and stylish people...
my big surprise and discovery is how people line up on the train platforms---
in rows in front of where the doors will open...
and almost exactly the same distance apart in every single row...

it's very organized but also very visually appealing to see all the rows of people...
spaced so evenly apart...

and i will definitely be looking for weeds now!
:clap:...

also- some good news, I seem to be staying very near to the YY flagship!
:woot:

yohji should be in paris at this moment, but when he returns and gets back to routines, he takes a turn with his dog in aoyama reien ( reien is a word for cemetery, but that site is also the park now ) every morning.
the place where you are staying should also be near to aoyama reien. it will be nice to go for a walk there in the morning in any case.

aiemu.co.jp

Attachments

• aoyama-reien.jpg
    aoyama-reien.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 1
updated info on stores around there

limi's harajuku flagship is gone.

matohu's flagship which is a relatively new comer is here:

map_omotesando_2.png

matohu.com

also there is mina perhonen's interesting shop, if you are interested

http://www.mina-perhonen.jp/en/shop/tokyo/piece/

for suzuki takayuki

atelier 103

this shop is kept by the owner (not sure this sentence makes sense though). so it will be closed next week since he will have to be in paris and be buying things. please be careful. but seems like it is open this weekend.

for suzuki takayuki

atelier 103

this shop is kept by the owner (not sure this sentence makes sense though). so it will be closed next week since he will have to be in paris and be buying things. please be careful. but seems like it is open this weekend.

Excellent map!
Domo arigato...

You've read my mind!
I was asking about a nice cemetary as soon as I arrived... :lol:
And I was also thinking about Mina Perhonen named Suzuki Takayuki.
I found Matohu today. Lovely things. It's so near that I will go back again and try some things. I tried one coat that I think could be great.
I also tried some limi things at parco and got a couple of things at the regulation pop up you had mentioned. I also found a really nice bao bao by issey mistake clutch bag at parco. It's nice to see all the labels I like readily available in one location. Mercibeaucoup, ne-net, tsumori chisato, etc. I will need to go back and also I need to check some more Y's and yohji. Shinjuku is a bit crazy and harajuku is even crazier!
Omotesando has some if the most beautifully dressed people I have ever seen in my life!

I am finding the people in japan are the most interesting thing about it.

And I have discovered why everyone wears socks. It's not just a fashion statement. You really do get blisters because of the humidity. Ouch!
:doh:

Good thing you suggested I get those little socks. They have been really useful. Thank you for the recommendation.
:flower:

I confess I spent a long time at Tokyo Hands today buying kitchen things and small notebooks. :blush:

I still feel a bit lost. I need to find a decent bookshop and get some phrase books and a real map because I stupidly forgot my good ones at home. Can you recommend a good place to buy some of these books, kudasai?

The jet lag is pretty bad. I get up really early and am always a bit tired. As a result, I feel like I'm dreaming most of the time!

I'm going to send you a private msg about some questions I have.

Thanks again for all your wonderful recommendations. Thanks to you I feel far more comfortable here. Even though it's foreign, it feels familiar because of all your teachings over the years!

Domo arigato gozaimasu!

:heart:...

Oh Softie I'm getting homesick all over again even though I was just there two weeks ago. I'm glad you are seeing all my favorite shops :smile: Don't forget to stroll through Meiji Jingu shrine gardens :smile:

Re bookstores, I'm not sure where you're staying but here are two choices in your general area:

Tower Records Books in Shibuya has a whole English books section, I think it's your best bet:

http://www.timeout.jp/en/tokyo/venue/8927/Tower-Records-Shibuya

Aoyama Book Center is near Omotesando and is one of my favorites, has great photography/art books and some English books.

http://www.timeout.jp/en/tokyo/venue/2108/Aoyama-Book-Center

Otherwise for the most comprehensive selection of English books in Tokyo it's Kinokuniya Book Store in Shinjuku.

http://www.timeout.jp/en/tokyo/venue/469/Kinokuniya-Bookstore

Some additions:

I would like to recommend you to try tsutaya at daikanyama if you ever go back shibuya, it's near there..not sure about the English books selection but the garden there is very nice...
Cow books is also good although I would also agree towers at shibuya is easier to navigate, with a huge selection of CDs ( yes, Japanese still buy CDs)

If you are interested in furniture, please visit naka meguro...

If you need to buy mens stuff, try hankyu mens at yuurakucho station or isetan mens. There's also a monocle store at the former, good to buy collaboration stuff between monocle and porter etc.

If you like Margaret Howell, there's one at shibuya with a cafe, but guess she's not really your cup of tea?

Just my two cents worth, any questions, please shout :cool:

Enjoy Tokyo.

I meant Shibuya - not Shinjuku- in my previous post.

Also, it should say Mina Perhonen and Suzuki Takayuki.
Gomenasai for the error!
You guys are great!
Thank you Melisande and vetements ...
:clap:

I did pass by Tower Records. I remember because I was surprised to see it there in Shibuya. I thought they had closed everywhere. I will most likely be going by there again. If I do, are there any recommendations for some Japanese music CD's?

And I do like Margaret Howell so I will see if I can go there along with some of your other suggestions.

Melisande- and suggestions for good beauty supplies at the drugstores ? Can be a specific product or just a brand you think has good stuff.

I still need I find Beams and Lift and Isetan and the outlets. And I passéd by a Muji store that had all rustic things- different to the regular Muji .i def want to go back and check it.

Does anyone recommend the Ghibli Museum?

Is there a preferred place to see some art?

Last edited by a moderator:
Japanese Music:

Sakamoto Ryuichi. :smile: I love all his stuff going back to the Yellow Magic Orchestra, but his acoustic compilation 1996 is a long-time favorite on my iPod.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcViKKfb9S8

Beauty supplies at drugstores:
-People go crazy and buy bunches of black Fiberwig mascara when they come to Japan; try one and see if you like its silky slick consistency that doesn't clump or give you panda-eyes yet washes off easily. I usually like this and a Maybelline.

-If you use false eyelashes on photoshoots, stock up on the soft supple types at the 100 yen store! Fantastic and cheap!

-If you are a sunscreen person, like I am, they have amazing, cheap high SPF sunscreens which don't go white and melt into your skin. The Nivea one is great.

-Nov concealer is popular

-a must-have for me are the long toothbrushes with small heads, I stock up on Dentor Systema, lol.

doitashimashi-te softgrey

there used to be suzuki takayuki store in shibuya parco. but it's no more unfortunatelly.
about ikkuna, you can see it at kagure omotesando.

shop01.jpg

kagure.jp

don't forget to check test (the store we were talking about in the hat thread) for hats from takayuki, harnden, etc.
and haberdashery too for wim neels, aseedoncloud...if you are interested.

omote6.jpg

studio-sympathique.co.jp

when you back to shibuya again,
the space for the regulation popup shop in parco will turn into "Y's neutral" this friday.

if you liked tokyu hands, you might like to try getting lost in loft as well.
stationery etc...
http://www.sunnypages.jp/travel_guide/modern_tokyo/fun_shops/Loft+Shibuya/1957

as for books and maps, if you visit seibu ikebukuro, there is a big bookstore building named junkudo located nearby.
http://www.sunnypages.jp/travel_guide/tokyo_books_music/bookstores/Junkudo+Ikebukuro/1443

btw, from october 3, on the 7th floor of seibu ikebukuro, they are going to hold hokkaido gourmet fair.
definitely look in!

2.seibu.jp

Attachments

• G000716917.jpg
    G000716917.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 0
Sorry for not sticking to the topic but if you have time, you can also try the revamped areas in Tokyo Station:
Malls with original shops selling unique products from clothes to soaps to omiyage (Japanese souvenirs that are not tacky)

Beams, united arrows, tomorrowland, journal standard, ships are 'select shops' that can all be found near the margaret howell, tower records shibuya area ( across the road, up a small hill).
But they are also aplenty everywhere, esp harajuku, where chrome hearts is also sold in the united arrows store.
These select shops are like a mish mesh of clothes, lifestyle, restaurant, sometimes furniture ( think Colette in Paris) and usually have several permutations like js homestead (journal standard), ships jet blue (ships)..with tastes and offerings slightly tweaked.

Generally if you have covered harajuku (aoyama), shinjuku, shibuya, it's already quite enough, maybe for a bit of luxe, throw in ginza for in-your-face wealth... I personally suggest to cover in depth to really experience and understand the Japanese psyche and aesthetics...

Sorry thoughts are scattered because I am running a fever..but hope you have fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hasunny428
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->