TOP 10 Supermodels

happycanadian

Reaction score
hey everyone, i think we should have a discussion on who we think are the deserved Top 10 Supermodels. I basically only used contemporary models (ie no Twiggy, Gia, Janice, etc).

To me, a true supermodel should have been extremely prominant in both High Fashion and Commercially sucessful. However, there are a couple (Elle & Heidi) who --though they have little high fashion experience -- have been TOO successful as commercial models to ignore from the list, IMO. A real supermodel has to be a celebrity as well as a model. They have to have a public persona that makes us care.

So, here's my top 10:

10: ELLE MACPHERSON: Elle may not have done much high fashion work, but she has ruled the commercial modelling industry as good as anyone else. Called "The Body", she was a mainstay in the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Edition as well as on the walls of young men all around the world, thanks to her many successful calendars.

9: HEIDI KLUM: Heidi literally sky-rocketted to the top of the modelling game by landing the cover of the SI Swimsuit Issue as well as a huge contract with Victoria's Secret. She was also given the title of "The Body", filling the void Elle left of the smiley, cheerful brunette. Heidi has taken her modelling fame and turned it into huge media success, with appearances in several films and t.v. shows. She recently took to hosting her own reality show, "Project Runway".

8: CLAUDIA SCHIFFER: Gracing more than 500 magazine covers throughout her extremely successful career, this blonde bombshell captivated everyone with her curvy body and gorgeous features. As one of the "Fab 5" supermodels who reigned in the early 1990s, Claudia made millions of dollars walking the runways and representing the face of Revlon cosmetics. She has always been a celebrity as well as a top model and has never strayed far from the public eye, even as her career has slowed recently.

7 - TYRA BANKS: Tyra began her career as a very successful high fashion model. In fact, she still holds the record for the most shows walked in a model's first season. However, her gorgeous features and stunning figure quickly landed her 3 of the biggest commercial achievements possible for models: the cover of SI's Swimsuit Issue (2 consecutive years) as well as multi-million dollar contracts with Victoria's Secret and Covergirl Cosmetics. Though her actual modelling work slowed after the year 2000, Tyra continued breaking down barriers by appearing in several films, making cameo appearances on t.v. shows and by starting her own extremely successful reality show, "America's Next Top Model". Recently, Tyra has gone the route of Oprah and now hosts her own t.v. talk show.

6 - CHRISTY TURLINGTON: Christy has a face that could launch a thousand ships, a face that instantly makes men melt and women jealous, a face that has enjoyed an extremely successful career as one of the world's top supermodels. One of "The Trinity" (along with Naomi and Linda), Christy became everyone's favourite Maybelline girl (arguably bringing the company into public consciousness herself) as well as a mainstay for Calvin Klein and his underwear/fragrance lines. She has preferred to stay out of the public eye as much as possible, opting to not make the change to Hollywood, but people will always crave Christy.

5 - LINDA EVANGELISTA: One of "The Trinity", Linda was perhaps the most ubiquitous model of the first half of the 1990s. Her famous face has graced hundreds of covers of the world's most significant fashion magazines. She is also the supermodel who uttered the now infamous, "I wouldn't get out of bed for less than $10,000" line. Over 15 years into her career, Linda still makes cameo appearances on certain runways and rakes in the dough posing for advertising campaigns. Her looks have been described as chameleon-like because of her uncanny ability to reinvent her appearance and morph from high fashion diva to commercial goddess.

4 - GISELE BUNDCHEN: The "boobs from Brazil" took the fashion world by storm. She literally stomped her way down every major runway on earth and led the way for the huge Brazilian Invasion that happened at the turn of the millenium. Gisele has graced more fashion magazine covers than anyone else in the history of the business, even more than fellow supermodel Cindy Crawford. Her walk has spawned countless imitators and copycats, and with her lucrative Victoria's Secret contract Gisele is now the highest paid model on Earth. Now seperated from her longterm off-and-on boyfriend, Leo Dicaprio, Gisele is one of the world's hottest bachelorettes.

3 - KATE MOSS: Kate changed the fashion world in the mid-1990s with her frail waif-like body and quirky face. She introduced the "heroin-chic" ideal and literally marked the end of the glamazon era. Kate has never been out of the public eye, and has always sparked some type of controversy, be it due to her racy Calvin Klein ads, her many high-profile Hollywood relationships, or more recently with photographs of her indulging in a little of Columbia's best. However, it's not just controversy that keeps Kate in the pages of the world's glossy mags: she is renowned as a style-maker as her casual style is relentlessly copied by women throughout the world. Kate is truly a high-fashion icon and is constantly the name that designers mention as their true contemporary muse.

2 - NAOMI CAMPBELL: "To touch her skin is like heaven..." So says fellow supermodel Elle MacPherson of Naomi. A fellow "Trinity", Naomi represented the ethnic face of the supermodels of the early 1990s. She broke down countless doors for women of colour and hasn't stopped yet. Naomi has been on countless magazine covers and in inumerable editorials. She's been snapped by every significant photographer and is highly involved in worldy charities and international events. Still one of the world's most sought-after runway models, Naomi (dubbed "Queen of the runway") has one of the most recognizable walks on Earth. It's not so much as walk as it is a strut --- and one well-deserved after almost 2 decades as one of the most famous faces in the world of fashion.

1 - CINDY CRAWFORD: If the fashion world could choose one face as an icon of perfection, it would undoubtably be Cindy Crawford. She parlayed her gorgeous girl-next-door looks into a tremendously successful modelling career incomparable to anything before or since. With a multi-million dollar Revlon contract and having been on over 600 magazine covers, she is easily the most recognizeable model face on Earth. Even her name rolls off your tongue, and now 2 decades into her career, she still does the odd campaign and editorial, though most of her time is focused around her family.

Well over the last 22 years,emotions underneath me here is the list

10 Paulina Porizkova-Helped to break down the icy blond mold. Face of Estee Lauder. She navigated both SI(cheesecake) and fashion.
9 Kate Moss-Well she's still working
8 Elle MacPherson-One of the most wealthy models and her & SI are synonymous.
7 Gisele Bundchen-Brought some attention back to models, even if it is mainly about her. Or that it isn't like the age of the Supermodel, she has still managed to get widely known.
6 Stephanie Seymour-She merge sex and fashion perfectly. Lengthy career.
5 Claudia Schiffer-Blond sex goddess-girl next door,very commerical. Lengthy career.
4 Christy Turlington-Lovely,many say perfect face & attitude. Great body of work. Lengthy career.
3 Cindy Crawford-Turned modeling into a business and was safe even when doing things like Playboy. Lengthy career.
2 Linda Evangelista-Fashion diva, has a great lengthy career, muse to many, numerous covers, infamous quotes....
1 Naomi Campbell-Heart stopping walk, been apart of more memorable photos than anyone I can think of, 400+ covers(more than any black star and I'm not talking Iman,Tyra,Liya,etc they don't stand a chance I mean the pop icons ie Michael Jackson,Jordan,Oprah and most non ethnic models), muse to so many, has worked non-stop for 20 years(3 decades of attention). For years she was one of the top 3-5 models in the world. "When I think of Supermodel I think of her"-Christy Turlington. Called the most notorious model ever she is just unforgettable, any industry/insider list she is there. Love her or not there is just no one like her. And hell she made it when she wasn't suppose to she is not blond,white or light. Breaking down so many barriers from Vogue to Time magazine.

Last edited by a moderator:
happycanadian said:
hey everyone, i think we should have a discussion on who we think are the deserved Top 10 Supermodels. I basically only used contemporary models (ie no Twiggy, Gia, Janice, etc).

But on your list there are several models with very limited success right now (Elle McP, Cindy C, Christy T). If we're going to include has-beens I don't see why we couldn't include pre-1985 models as well. But ok, as for the post 1985 models:

10. Claudia Schiffer

10. Paulina Porizkova

9. Nadja Auermann

8. Amber Valetta

7. Gisele Bundchen

6. Stephanie Seymour

5. Naomi Campbell

4. Christy Turlington

3. Linda Evangelista

1. Kate Moss

1. Cindy Crawford:

hey luvjeisa, you can use pre-1985 models if you want --- i just said that i didn't. i think that it would be way too difficult to try and compare all the top models EVER. . . .at least too difficult for me.

i like your list, too. it really seems that Gisele is the only truly contemporary supermodel to have made a mark on any level. (Karolina is maybe the only other supermodel that i can think of and she's certainly nowhere near as significant... maybe if she does some more things, or if someone like Gemma branches out to more commercial things... i suppose Adriana Lima is a very successful supermodel. but she doesn't have the public presence. she's never being interviewed on shows, etc).

i find it interesting that you list Stephanie Seymour higher than Gisele.... just curious why?

actually, OMIfan, you put stephanie seymour higher too... maybe i missed the boat on her or something -- i mean i know that she was extremely popular and successful, but i always just thought she was no different than say an Adriana Lima or a Niki Taylor.

AND, i really can't believe i forgot about Eva Herzigova. She was certainly a significant supermodel. maybe she'd be number 11 for me.

happycanadian said:
actually, OMIfan, you put stephanie seymour higher too... maybe i missed the boat on her or something -- i mean i know that she was extremely popular and successful, but i always just thought she was no different than say an Adriana Lima or a Niki Taylor.

AND, i really can't believe i forgot about Eva Herzigova. She was certainly a significant supermodel. maybe she'd be number 11 for me.

Stephanie is more talented & diverse than Niki or Adriana that's why. She has the long career to prove it on top of that. She did VS,SI and FASHION. And although she isn't quite part of the Elite Supers or the Super6 she will almost be brought up b/c she was of the time. And one of those Supers will say STEPHANIE when people go who is a Super. Niki's almost always left out. If where talking to Gisele(she'll probably be the only one) 20 years after she hit I don't think they will say Adriana or most of the VS girls.

iluvjeisa said:
But on your list there are several models with very limited success right now (Elle McP, Cindy C, Christy T). If we're going to include has-beens I don't see why we couldn't include pre-1985 models as well. But ok, as for the post 1985 models:

There not quite has beens Cindy C(especially) & Christy T are still gettings covers & ads. They're working more than lets say Janice,Gia,Twiggy,etc.

1.Daria Werbowy

2.Julia Stegenr

3.Kate moss

4.Heidi Klum

5.Naomi Campbell

6.all the girls who did
Victoria`s Secret;last year;

OMIFAN9 said:
There not quite has beens Cindy C(especially) & Christy T are still gettings covers & ads. They're working more than lets say Janice,Gia,Twiggy,etc.

well, I think Paulina is gone from the scene. And the work Elle does is negligable.

iluvjeisa said:
well, I think Paulina is gone from the scene. And the work Elle does is negligable.

Still they've worked later than the girls that you wanted to nominate. Elle has had covers dating for 2003,if not later I've seen them. Paulina same thing. Sure it's not the 80s or 90s for them, but they still have worked in the last years or so. They have worked for decades and very successfully not many can say that period. They were dubbed Supers and while they were working. Not looking back after they stopped working or them calling themselves Supers.

OMIFAN9 said:
Still they've worked later than the girls that you wanted to nominate. Elle has had covers dating for 2003,if not later I've seen them. Paulina same thing. Sure it's not the 80s or 90s for them, but they still have worked in the last years or so. They have worked for decades and very successfully not many can say that period. They were dubbed Supers and while they were working. Not looking back after they stopped working or them calling themselves Supers.

Well, regardless of what Twiggy was called at the time she was and is a supermodel. Here's an all time list that I find reasonable, I'm basing it on impact high fashion/commercial and longevity.

10. Janice Dickinson

10. Stephanie Seymour

9. Naomi Campbell

8. Verushka

7. Jean Shrimpton

6. Christy Turlington

5. Twiggy

4. Lauren Hutton

3. Linda Evangelista

2. Suzy Parker

1. Kate Moss

1. Cindy Crawford

yourbestfriend said:
Was Janice Dickinson that famous back in the day?

I think she was very famous among people who cared at least a little about fashion. In the late 70s the most famous models were apparently Cheryl Tiegs and Christie Brinkley, both of whom can't be on this list because they were not high fashion. Actually, it's kind of similar to now. Tyra and Heidi are not supermodels because they have not been able to combine HF and commercial (even if Tyra did som HF at first, but not enough to warrant a supermodel status IMO).

It's hard to know if you weren't there at the time, but this is what people I've asked who were there in the 70s tend to answer.

Tyra is a supermodel. Janice is even said Tyra was the last of the great supermodels. Heidi was a supermodel of the late 90s, and along with Gisele, was not part of the great supermodels like Linda and Niki.

1:Natalia Vodianova !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2:Shalom Harlow

3:Karen Elson

I can't believe some people here made their own qualities for a model. Just because someone hasn't been on Vogue much doesnt mean she isn't one. It's like saying Heidi or Petra arent supermodel. People take the term so seriously, saying u have to be in this many vogues. It's just a term used to catch the readers attention.

This is getting out of hand-what we mean, those writing/documenting Supers and the people in the modeling industry means is you have to be more than one-dimensional. Petra and the others will always have a time truly being called Supers. Real Supers laugh in their faces, b/c they have work that is diverse,great,abundant & memorable and you can't be on their level easily. Before like 1992 a girl had to earn the word Supermodel, after awhile it got used so much that it's made it's way down to a swimsuit model or playboy girl. They just don't have the 'it' factor and putting on a swimsuit, to create the 'whoa factor' so guys can know of you for a minute doesn't make you a Super. Longevity,inspiration,respect from your peers(for your day job, not some tv or whatever), working with/for the greats, being a muse,respectable/impressive work & COVERS,standing the test of time,being a topmodel,etc. If you've got to question(like with Tyra,Elle,Petra,Heidi,Rebecca Romijn,etc), than that's a sign! If you are a true Super people can't dispute/deny you. I never hear Cindy,Naomi,Linda,Christy T,Verushka, etc bragging or saying I was on the cover or look at me I'm a Super, b/c people already know and don't need convincing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peytontung
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->