UK Elle September 2018 : Slick Woods by Paola Kudacki

It’s an interesting shot. But I never got her appeal. And she seems so last year.

This could have been executed better. Cheap is an understatement.

I get the concept. I like her. But this is a BIG NO.

Shocking cover choice! I expected worse to be honest, but it looks vaguely passable. A bit too summery for September, and I'm not sure why, but this shot looks like something British Vogue would do. Indeed, Edward must be kicking himself because this cover will dominate the press for the next week or so. It's nice that Justine (with Serena and Ashley) and Anne Marie are willing to challenge his 'diversity' dominance with an 'Whatever you can do, I can do better!' attitude. I'm here for it.

I can't abide her personally. Too brash and I never considered her a real model. But even with that said, Elle seem to break their back to drill home that her claim to fame starts and ends with Rihanna.

Good for Slick! To get where she came from, to the cover of Elle is extraordinary.
She's so unique and I wish her nothing but success and longevity.:heart:

I have no idea who this girl is but she exudes such a warm, joyful confidence which perfectly epitomizes ELLE magazine's sun-drenched, carefree spirit of the 80s and 90s. Love the crisply captured movement in the tastefully flowing, transparent garment, and skillful interaction of model's silhouette with the ELLE logo. And I'm always a sucker for an ear to ear, gap toothed grin. This woman is a knock out. Well done UK ELLE!

I'm far from a Slick Woods fan, but I have to say I think the cover and the editorial are lovely - it's so nice to see her smiling rather than her usual moody glare and she really does exude joy in the photos. I'm not sure it's right for September, but a good effort nonetheless.

I like Slick Woods a lot and i like the cover and editorial but this is more summer than September to me. This would have been a great July/August cover but I don't see it for September

Different girl, definitely didn’t look like anything like this one!

Looking through this issue on zinio - a shot of the third cover is printed on the contents page, a model called Ellen de Weer @ Viva London, lying on the grass. They describe this as newsstand cover, subscribers cover and 'model cover'.

They really seem to have taken the sustainability theme to heart in this issue. Although possibly the biggest problem we face in relation to sustainability is overpopulation, so I don't know where pregnant models fit into that plan. But I don't expect big picture thinking from a monthly fashion magazine, and like Elle's editorial staff, we could all be using fewer plastic bottles.

I used to work in the media, and now I work in connection with recycling. I was involved with making then happen, now I am witness to where they end up.

There's an interview with Stella McCartney, the editorial section opens with a shot of Arizona Muse and turns into a portfolio of people in fashion who are trying to teach and work in more aware ways. Then there's Slick against the blue sky, then Ellen de Weer in a wintry marshy grassland near wind turbines. Madigan Heck this is not.

Steffi Cook @ Select is modelling suits - some 1980s androgyny outside a 1960s Brutalist-looking building, where no expense was spared on concrete. I thought the next editorial involved a background of graph paper, but it was just a Balenciaga ad.

Hans Feurer shoots Damaris in sportswear on the beach in dull weather, and we get a look at some new models. Feurer also shoots the beauty editorial, glitter on the sun-kissed skin of Aamito Lagum.

After a few lacklustre months, the Elle team have produced an issue that you can tell they enjoyed making. It's a lively and varied issue, and doesn't feel like a token lecture, it's got a spirit of people genuinely being interested in thinking about the topic. I'd happily buy a paper copy, because... it might sustain the future of UK Elle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
barakz12
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->