UK Vogue November 2018 : Fran Summers by Inez van Lamsweerde & Vinoodh Matadin

amby

Reaction score
Dob2iD1XkAApxEk.jpg

Source @BritishVogue Twitter

Photographed by Inez & Vinoodh

I’m really hear for this actually. I like it and I’m quite surprised it’s landed on a cover, whiny I’m always happy about.

Far too much going on for my taste and along with last month's cover, this sticks out like a sore thumb from what Edward Enninful's been doing at British Vogue. First we got the old W fonts... and now we've got Vogue Paris circa 2007. Despite Edward's choice in cover stars, the originality is seriously lacking for something in 2018!

Not impressed just yet, but I am already keen to see the 90s supermodel feature. Thanks for posting, amby!

The choice of that image for a cover feels very Italian Vogue and the layout feels very French Vogue when Carine was at the helm. I don’t like the inconsistency with Edward’s most recent covers; August, September, October, and now this, all seem like they’re from different magazines. I was a bit tired of the cropped image on a grey background, so I appreciate that he’s doing something different, but what he’s producing seems to be all over the place.

I don’t mind this as a cover at all, in fact I quite like it as a stand alone, but I think context is important for a magazine, it needs a strong identity. If Edward wants a directional, high-fashion feel to UK Vogue then that’s great, but commit to it. This sticks out like a sore thumb compared to all his other offerings this past year and leaves me wondering what Edward’s Vogue is actually all about.

Last edited:
I don't mind that he tries to find his #NewVogue , maybe his #inclusivity works also for having different fonts every month ? :brows: . Joke aside. I don't like the styling but like the glamorous vibe. Will see

She looks great there, and it’s refreshing to see him using a street shoot for cover instead of his regular white/grey background studio shoot, but the cover looks so fan made to me.

Well good for him for finally promoting British talent, but the result is dismal (and at no fault of Fran).

Baby steps.

However, the layout looks good, but how sad is it that UK VOGUE, is now the home of UK Harper’s Bazaar’s old layout. I mean, how unoriginal can you get.

The sadder part is, notwithstanding the unoriginality, this layout still looks WAY WAY WAY WAY better than his first one. And PS, Edward shouldn’t get a free pass for having to change his art direction in less than a year. That show’s lack of a firm direction. Remember how people here criticized Alt for changing her art direction often?

The image, like what Vogue28, said, is too busy for my taste. It had a lot of potentional to be honest. However, the busy streets killed it for me. This looks like an ANTM photo of the one who gets eliminated in that episode.

Having said that, I still prefer this over his recent covers.

But you should all CHECK OUT INEZ’S Instagram! The editorial looked DIVINE!

Happy Fran, much deserved. The cover image... is a choice. Not really sure if I love it or hate it. But she looks great.

The ed looks nice, but this "high fashion in the streets of NYC" concept is kinda overused.

With so much going on, it feels like it should fall short of being a cover shot - yet I like the whimsy of it. You certainly couldn't say it's 'yet another' bland and overly photoshopped snap of a celebrity. It really is something (and someone) different.

This is the issue that will convince me whether I should continue with my subscription... at the moment, I'm happy to let it lapse. Some of the covers have been real talking points, but I literally only remember one editorial that has been of interest to me.

Give Harpers its fonts back.

Why shoot an iconic British red phone box in NYC?

A model the general public wont know on the cover. So lets put a big Kate Moss cover line to sell the issue.

Armani on the cover. We need to the advertisers happy.

Edward is realising running Vogue is a business...

Why shoot an iconic British red phone box in NYC?...
That was my first thought.
I guess it's suppose to be a New York/ London mash up... so peculiar.
That hair and bow, the dress, the crowd... it's all so peculiar.

Here for Fran and this Vogue UK OG star-making cover moment. Reminds me of US Vogue circa 98 launching Angela Lindvall wearing the couture collections. The image may be busy but Miss Summers shines.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eisabeth
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->